Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Funcom do a Kickstarter so we can play this game till we die

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2016 View Post
    They say, that they do not share resources between AoC and CE, which is the same fishy statement you had with AoC and TSW. The way the old GD (not Bylos, the second one) suggested sounded quite workable and profitable for AoC, but it seems completely scrapped (the plan was to focus resources on crafting revamp (which turned out as CE) and release more adventure modules to expand the game world). Instead they messed up both routes now: crafting revamp is officially scrapped and the good points of adventure modules went ad absurdum with the lazy and greedy Vanaheim example.
    Yes the initial announcement thread on these forums kind of implied that AoC would somehow benefit from work done on CE. But that always was a long shot - long before, Joel Bylos had already pointed out that content created in newer versions of the Dreamworld engine could not be ported back to AoC:

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    As for the animation system - Dreamworld 3.0 (Lego) uses a new render engine (Hunter). That is why the game will run on many platforms including tablets.
    Dreamworld 2.0 (TSW and AoC and the new AO engine) use a different rendering engine (Cheetah).

Pretty much porting anything between 2.0 and 3.0 is not going to happen, though 3.0 inherits all the features from 2.0. As the coders like to put it "Hunter slays Cheetah".
    Last edited by Rathothis; 3rd March 2017 at 13:58.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

I spoke to a dev through petition, and there not shutting the game down. There busy atm with other titles but we have not been forgotten about

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboi87 View Post
    I spoke to a dev through petition, and there not shutting the game down. There busy atm with other titles but we have not been forgotten about

Quote Originally Posted by -Shink- View Post
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    Yes the initial announcement thread on these forums kind of implied that AoC would somehow benefit from work done on CE. But that always was a long shot - long before, Joel Bylos had already pointed out that content created in newer versions of the Dreamworld engine could not be ported back to AoC:
    Yes, i remember that. I also remember the halloween event (pumpkinhead was a port from TSW to AoC) and the reason they introduced the new dreamworld engine and the "reasoning" behind it (which exactly was that tsw aoc and aion got together on one engine standard to allow for a similar handling of scripting and porting). Obviously they can port "some" stuff, like the pumpkin, but i guess a lot of the reasoning behind the engine update was simply not true or marketing speech. I saw an interesting video related to it today. While it is possible the workload and money (porting between games is seemingly not as cheap as thought) seem to be high or at least not small enough.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og02v9K7b1g

Some things in the video are argueable, but it would fit funcoms reasoning. I also believe now, that Bylos did either not want or couldn't do it. Most likely they simply made the DECISION to not work downward compatible and gave technical reasons as cheap excuse. While the quote from the GD before him came before they made the huge layoffs (or people leaving the company like the one who coded the crafting revamp till the 2011/2012 video of it) thanks to TSW or other reasons. So it might even be both quotes were kind of true

Still in development you have a planning and testing phase and this is what i referred to (as easily shareable). If for example you find out after release (and pre-alpha is a release) that your game system needs a lot of fixing and it not modular or flexible designed, you are in a bad situation and at high costs anyway. If in that case you tried out a lesser easier to implement system or used a working system to build on in a game where such a system would be a clear improvement and then port that to your new game, i am sure the total costs would be less and even if not, the revenue potential would be a lot higher (or at least this would have been valid before shop devamp and membership mess).
    Last edited by Kurt2016; 3rd March 2017 at 18:39.

Just curious what it would actually require to bring AoC back up to where it should be. ie. new content; bug fixes; store revamp; remove stupid bonuses like extra fast AA bonus and offline lvls etc. Are we talking 10 personnel or 50? $100 000 or $10 000 000? I mean what are we talking about in regards to resources? And what would it take to make that money back and turn a profit? I for one will pay premium fees if thats what it would take.

Quote Originally Posted by ThievesInc View Post
    Just curious what it would actually require to bring AoC back up to where it should be. ie. new content; bug fixes; store revamp; remove stupid bonuses like extra fast AA bonus and offline lvls etc. Are we talking 10 personnel or 50? $100 000 or $10 000 000? I mean what are we talking about in regards to resources? And what would it take to make that money back and turn a profit? I for one will pay premium fees if thats what it would take.

All this discussing, especially this thread is completely futile .
    Get happy with the game as it is , or move on , they wont change any of the last bad things , which will ever be added to the game (WB, RF, store, arena , exile rune)
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

Quote Originally Posted by slackjoint View Post
    All this discussing, especially this thread is completely futile .
    Get happy with the game as it is , or move on , they wont change any of the last bad things , which will ever be added to the game (WB, RF, store, arena , exile rune)
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ThievesInc View Post
    Lol.
    It's true. The current team at funcom has publicly stated that they have no idea how to even fix the issues that are present in the code since launch. It is like a huge cluster of crap that would take an entire team the size of blizzard months to sift through and who is going to do that when funcom was on the edge of bankruptcy until the release of exiles. They could barely afford to pay anyone to work on this game so they dedicated all their resources to a quick money grab with exiles.

Slack is right, enjoy the game as is or play something better like WOW
    Live Twitch Stream - Fury PvP - US East Coast Prime Time - Rated MA

Quote Originally Posted by Feadara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evito View Post: "Publicly traded companies can't use kickstarter."

Quoted for everyone who did not read it.
    That is what Funcom said - or, to be more precise, what a PR or tech guy stated about that on a gaming forum, which is far from a serious source in my mind.

That aside, I see no legal reason why that shouldn't be possible. Anybody have a source or argument on that?

Currently, to mee, this has a slight smell of "******** excuse". "Legal reasons" is a common way to block questions, as even the most hilarious stuff is taken for granted, such as tax returns that cannot be published because the IRS is reviewing them.
    Last edited by Khaletohep; 6th March 2017 at 20:09.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast