Thread: Fps issues

Default Fps issues

Hello,

I am finding that my pc build which really should get me a decent stable fps, isn't

In most areas I get 40-60 but this isn't stablr and can go under this for a few seconds. I also find in old tarantia I am getting anything under 30. Also the same in rotgs areas sometimes worse.

This is my current build

Amd 8350 fx 4.2 ghz

R9 280 over clocked to 1130 clock and 1325 memory
    16 gb hyper beast gaming ram
    Codair 750 watt psu
    I also have age of Conan copied onto an 840 Evo ssd.
    As far as I am aware this build should easily play this game on max settings with a smooth fps but doesn't seem to.

Any feedback would be very nicely appreciated. (The psu is 5 years old but my gpu and cpu seem to have enough power to reach the clock setting a that are set so I don't think it is the psu that is failing.)

Kind regards

Chris

Your computer should be easily able to handle AoC but the biggest problem is that AoC is very bad optimized. That was one of its biggest release problems and its still not "fixed" (Well, it can't be fixed anymore, only in new areas like Dragon's Spine maybe).

Its almost not needed to build a very expensive PC for AoC because the game mostly won't use all resources.

For one thing, FPS issues will be widely different based on what resolution you run the game at, so that should always be included in your description of your PC.

Unless you run at a low resolution (probably < 1080p), you will find occasions where the games fps dips low. This is common in OT, where you tend to have a lot more characters/npcs around. OT always runs worse.

When playing in crowded areas, like in raids or when fighting the World Bosses, a lot of the performance loss comes either from particle effects, or the name tags above peoples heads. Turning off name tags in a crowded area really does increase performance by a significant amount.

Hello guys,

Thank you for both your responses which I am very grateful for. I run this game on 1080p but I am pleased to know that I am not on my own . Hopefully funcom can fix this eventually.

As for name tags I will try to remember to turn these off and I tend to try kee particals to my self.

Kind regards

AMD cpu. Age of Conan hates AMD cpus.

You've got a great build for everything else though!

Hello,

Which Intel cpu would I see better performance with compared to my fx8350 4.2ghz?

Kind regards

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by wokiller View Post
    Hello,

Which Intel cpu would I see better performance with compared to my fx8350 4.2ghz?

Kind regards

Chris
    Age of Conan is mostly single threaded, so you want a cpu that has the best single thread performance you can find.

This chart ranks CPUs by their single thread performance:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

I also find in old tarantia I am getting anything under 30. Also the same in rotgs areas sometimes worse.
    Switch water reflections to ground only or turn them off completely, full world reflections impact performance greatly, especially in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    Age of Conan is mostly single threaded, so you want a cpu that has the best single thread performance you can find.

This chart ranks CPUs by their single thread performance:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Hello that info was helpful however my cpu scored 1500 where as a top Intel is 2500 so surely my cpu should be ok?

I just hate getting low fps I get Hugh fps in kara korum just not northern grasslands

Hello that info was helpful however my cpu scored 1500 where as a top Intel is 2500 so surely my cpu should be ok?

I just hate getting low fps I get Hugh fps in kara korum just not northern grasslands
    That is a fairly nice jump in performance. I can't tell you exactly how much better you game will run in those low fps areas, but it should run better. I'm just assuming your cpu has a lot more work to do in the areas you get low fps, and if you had a better cpu, the game should perform better. If you can't live with the fps drops, upgrading hardware is probably your best option.

Also, pretty much regardless of what hardware you use, you will see the fps vary depending on where you are and what is going on. The best you can hope for is to make the fps drops not go as low.