Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old original player checking in

Oh my, the silly RP vs PvP discussion again.

Now, it's perfectly alright to question how viable a RP PvP server is, in terms of cost of enforcement of the ruleset, if taken seriously, vs the number of players it brings in (and who would quit the game if the RP ruleset were dropped). But that is a decision to be taken by the company which runs the game.

If the company decides to establish a RP PvP server, it signals to players that it is willing to enforce RP rules on that server. This includes (surprise!) naming conventions. Rolling a toon with a non-RP name on a RP server is a bit like public drinking in the US - you may feel morally entitled to doing it, and you may get away with it on most occasions - but if you are caught, none of this changes the fact that you violated the law.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    Oh my, the silly RP vs PvP discussion again.

Now, it's perfectly alright to question how viable a RP PvP server is, in terms of cost of enforcement of the ruleset, if taken seriously, vs the number of players it brings in (and who would quit the game if the RP ruleset were dropped). But that is a decision to be taken by the company which runs the game.

If the company decides to establish a RP PvP server, it signals to players that it is willing to enforce RP rules on that server. This includes (surprise!) naming conventions. Rolling a toon with a non-RP name on a RP server is a bit like public drinking in the US - you may feel morally entitled to doing it, and you may get away with it on most occasions - but if you are caught, none of this changes the fact that you violated the law.
    I saw some pretty banable names myself, on any type of server. And some are not trivial offenses as suctum tries to put it. Some people of course are more picky than others and there probably were a lot of cases he quoted, but this can not be used against the ruleset or enforcing it.
    What is also not true is, that this was the only measure of defense against pvp players. A lot of rpers on aquilonia were very successfull and competent and active pvp players themselves and usually people interrupting rp events got dealt with quickly first ingame and if they kept persisting and abusing the game system (making grouping impossible, using the broken guard system etc.) of course petitions have to be used. But this has not much to do with the server ruleset, more with the code of conduct.
    Being on a pvp server is not a license to kill everyone on sight whenever possible. If you deliberatingly destroy anothers game experience without consent, this is a breach of code of conduct per definition.
    There have been a lot of players who just roled or transfered to a rp-pvp server with the whole intend to destroy it, prey on "weak" people and ridicule rpers. It should not have been surprising that they were considered on the "wrong server" for a reason. In the long run their whole behaviour did not only help in destroying the ruleset by emptying these servers, but the abusive nature kept on being responsible for even more loss of pvp players on fury and other pure pvp players (because as i said earlier: many rpers had alts or were successfull pvpers themselves).

@OP:
    Most questions have been answered already (store, hairstyles, population). There are still many roleplayers on Crom, even a few on Fury. They are not a homogenous group though andthe problem will be to find the right ones and now since the server move: to find people who share a similar schedule and approach to rp. There is still a network with several guilds involved and even some forums you could use outside this one. From my experience the people are there, it just needs the right trigger to get them together nowadays. There are also some active french and german guilds on crom rping.

Player housing sadly was never seriously considered by the powers in aoc and therefore its failure was a self-fullfilling prophecy There is now even a whole lobby trying to get rid of guild cities along with the crafting revamp it seems (not explicitely stated, but between the lines and according to recent actions). For example, the plan was to change the resource zones completely, the guild related renown gain is bugged and capped for over a year now (though easily fixable) and the achievement system has nothing in point of guilds, guild cities, city building and guild zone related.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 9th June 2015 at 07:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    Edit by Anzu: Flame/troll.
    That is just wrong. When you look at the effect of the ruleset on player behaviour, the picture was broadly the following (needless to say, I simplify things here): Pure PvP servers typically had large guilds which fought for domination (until Bori made them hold hands instead). RP PvP servers had smaller guilds and cultivated a relatively complex alliance system. Both playstyles work in a FFA PvP game.

Also, PvE servers had similar complaints about interfering with RP, which usually involved some friendly visitors getting naked and jumping around like crazy while people tried to roleplay. And unlike on PvP servers, you couldn't even kill them
    Last edited by Anzu; 9th June 2015 at 10:29.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    That is just wrong. When you look at the effect of the ruleset on player behaviour, the picture was broadly the following (needless to say, I simplify things here): Pure PvP servers typically had large guilds which fought for domination (until Bori made them hold hands instead). RP PvP servers had smaller guilds and cultivated a relatively complex alliance system. Both playstyles work in a FFA PvP game.

Also, PvE servers had similar complaints about interfering with RP, which usually involved some friendly visitors getting naked and jumping around like crazy while people tried to roleplay. And unlike on PvP servers, you couldn't even kill them
    Which is why even though I was never a strong 1v1 PvPer I would not have rolled on a PvE server (though I did try Wiccanna out during my brief return back when Turan was released). You NEED to be able to kill people with bad manners. LOL And while I enjoyed mixing it up in Kesh when running with my guild what I enjoyed most was seigeing. PvP over on ESO is extremely lackluster in comparison. And honestly....I miss the hate. LOL But, sadly, without the old rich RP community that used to exist here until Craig utterly sabotaged it, there's nothing for me to come back to. They certainly haven't made enough improvements to the game to warrant it either.

If you have fun and you feel it's worth a subscription fee, great. But, you need to go in with zero expectations from the community and zero expectations from funcom. Your subscription at this point is just keeping the servers plugged in to the electrical socket- nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by twinklez3 View Post
    If you have fun and you feel it's worth a subscription fee, great. But, you need to go in with zero expectations from the community and zero expectations from funcom. Your subscription at this point is just keeping the servers plugged in to the electrical socket- nothing more.
    Yeah, I get that. And I've no interest in doing that. I was badly burned as a customer by this company and I see no sense in giving them money for any of their other products, let alone this one they've so miserably let go.

Welcome back=)
    Crom:
    Kraamz dt pvp10
    Kramzor hox pvp10
    Quickdash guard pvp7
    Kramzz bs pvp5

Fury:
    Pressostate conq pvp5
    ++++

AFK into the unknown =/

Quote Originally Posted by lamiastrix View Post
    Yeah, I get that. And I've no interest in doing that. I was badly burned as a customer by this company and I see no sense in giving them money for any of their other products, let alone this one they've so miserably let go.
    What do you mean by old original player?

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlin View Post
    What do you mean by old original player?
    Means; 60+ year old that's UNIQUE in every way and is a LADY KILLER.

~ duh...
    "Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast