Thread: Returning from a 5 year absence...HELP!

Default Returning from a 5 year absence...HELP!

Ok so I played for a few months after release and stopped when I realized the game was just Age of Tortage. But by now I am sure there is a solid way to level to max without 10 levels stints of just grinding to get to the next set of quests.

After hearing of a new Conan movie with Arnold, it has given me a renewed interest in the game. and I have some questions for you.

1) how is the population in the game? is it still feasible to find a good guild with lots of people to help level and experience old content?

2) what are the differences/situations between servers? is it just pvp and pve servers now? which are more populated?

3) how is the pvp server? is it just a huge gank-fest that wont allow new players the chance to level and enjoy the game, or is it a little more calm then that?

4) can anyone give me a breakdown of the classes and what they are good/bad at in pve/pvp at this time? are there overpowered/underpowered classes? is it even worth playing a non-overpowered class in AoC pvp?

5) how is the Herold of Xotli specifically? It was my favorite class when I did play at launch and I wonder if it has been kept up with the other classes and can pvp well?

well I think thats all my questions for now. I am downloading the game as we speak.

Edit: another question

6) if I do decide to pick up AoC full time and get a premium sub and the expansions...whats the best way of going about this? do I need all expansions? at what level should I decide to buy each expansion?

oh and last question, is the free account able to use all character classes now? I know when Unchained first started it was just 1 of each type was availible (guardian, barbarian, demonologist, Priest of Mitra). Have they opened it back up to the full list of classes?
    Last edited by The-Fractured; 12th May 2013 at 08:49.

1) how is the population in the game? is it still feasible to find a good guild with lots of people to help level and experience old content?

Old content is not so hot now, but I supposed you could get some groups going for it. Funcom began the process of making old content into "unchained" mode where the dungeon is revamped into max level one with new loot and boss mechanic. First unchained dungeon is already out

2) what are the differences/situations between servers? is it just pvp and pve servers now? which are more populated?

PVE are more populated. Again Funcom began server mergers and soon there will be one big pve and one big pvp server

3) how is the pvp server? is it just a huge gank-fest that wont allow new players the chance to level and enjoy the game, or is it a little more calm then that?

leveling zones are not that populated like in early days of 2008. Leveling is also much faster.

4) can anyone give me a breakdown of the classes and what they are good/bad at in pve/pvp at this time? are there overpowered/underpowered classes? is it even worth playing a non-overpowered class in AoC pvp?

balance is ok now. In terms of OPness I think soldiers are standing out, but every class can hold their own in pvp.

5) how is the Herold of Xotli specifically? It was my favorite class when I did play at launch and I wonder if it has been kept up with the other classes and can pvp well?

well I think thats all my questions for now. I am downloading the game as we speak.

Edit: another question

6) if I do decide to pick up AoC full time and get a premium sub and the expansions...whats the best way of going about this? do I need all expansions? at what level should I decide to buy each expansion?

Get to level 80 and then buy expansion Rise of the Godslayer, before that it's a waste.

oh and last question, is the free account able to use all character classes now? I know when Unchained first started it was just 1 of each type was availible (guardian, barbarian, demonologist, Priest of Mitra). Have they opened it back up to the full list of classes?

You can play all classes as f2p
    Retired

Welcome back to Hyboria!
    Quick answears: 1] yes on both pve n pvp servers there are guilds that focus on starters-resubbers , help them and boost them [ofc in pve servers those ppl are 2x or 3x ][make sure to read latest gamedirector's letter to understand the quantity of servers in close future , since merges are right in the corner]

2] Both populated enough , so 80's activities run at least 23/7. Lowbie content and pug raids are more popular on pve server tho.

3]Absolutely more calm than in was in the past , with starting areas being neutral zones without pvp enabled so lowbies dont get demolished since goodmorning. The 80 murderer rarely sneaks behind u to ruin your gametime. Lowbie dueller will be there tho , so be prepared to fight back!

4] Anything can be OP depending on your playstyle and ambitions . Ranged characters on certain occasions have the coockie easier , or at least they can have it easier than melees on starting pvp ranks will less gear dependancy.

5] Magnificent class , but requires some time , effort , gear , lots of love and courrage. I also chose it as my first character back in 2009 , had loads of fun and boosted some peoples KDR aswell ;-)

6] You dont neeed ROTGS before lvl 80 unless u're determined to play a khitan character (which differs only in skin color and face characteristics). Once 80 No ROTGS= No hope , given u want some competition. About Turan ExpPack , if u're about to camp lvl 59 minigames , then is a go. Provides a nice playfield for lvls 50-56 and u can get an epic weapon reward from there @ lvl 55. But unless 59 minis is your goal , then dont buy it before 80 . Even on lvl 80 its not a must , unless you want to explore certain locations such as ArdashirFort [6man with epic helmet drop] ToE [raid instance , but not the most common one , even for raid-focused guilds]

Extra question 7] I'm not sure , check on funcoms F2p/Premium characteristics page , tho i think u can play all of them now as f2p , not 100% sure

good luck
    Fury:
    Etheecx -Necrow R5
    Ebedokles -Priest of Agrigento [threw himself into the volcano!]
    Teargarden -Sin R8
    Teagarden -Ranger R7
    Tempgarden - DeaTea R8
    Teadealer -ToS R3

Crom:
    Ethicx -Demonologist R10
    Bedtime -Guardian R5
    SponsoredHox R3 delight

*Chaotic gooD*

so what you are saying is that I can pretty much go from 1-80 as a F2P and not really miss out on anything to detrimental to the leveling process?

Quote Originally Posted by The-Fractured View Post
    so what you are saying is that I can pretty much go from 1-80 as a F2P and not really miss out on anything to detrimental to the leveling process?
    Yes. F2p till 80 is totally viable
    Retired