Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another thread about choosing a class (Barb/Conq)

In addition to what was said, in 6-man groups you often want a rogue for Finely Honed / Tainted Weapons. You can fill that spot with a Barbarian, but not with a Conqueror.
    Kaleeh PoM - Resolved Guard - Reducia Sin

For levelling i found barb to be way more fun than conq. Especially around level 60. You can take wide packs of mobs, running around all over the place, weapon switching, anti-cc to avoid the troubling kbs. Very dynamique gameplay. And levelling isn't what i'm the most fond of at all. But i even levelled a second barb for that.

But then once you reach level 80 i find conq much more fun in PvE. Just the fact that you can do DPS, off-tank, tank is great. Even without gear you can be easily a decent offtank for all K6 (well physical fights at least).

For PvP, i enjoyed both for different reasons.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nephturi View Post
    There's no prejudice here. You roll a tank, you have to tank if your group or raid needs you too. It's the same for ToSes that forget that they're healers: that's what the class is for.

I've seen many people complain about, mock or insult mages or rogues that weren't able to put some good DPS in an encouter. Soldiers that won't tank when needed deserve as much scorn as those.
    That’s a quite a bad way to think imo, have you ever checked other games ? They do have classes who can indeed tank but it doesn’t mean they will because they are not specced and geared for it but instead for DPS. And they are able to do it properly. WoW warriors, DK, Monks etc are perfect examples. Same applies to other MMOs.

If it’s because, like the Xcodename said, an idiot who said he’s dps only and rolled tank gear, no reason to be salty about it like that. Just gotta be careful with who you play and idk set the loot to be distributed by a raid leader. Though I guess it’s not easy now in AoC with few players.

Edit: I mean no offense of course, just sharing my thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by 7Trickster; 5th January 2018 at 18:03.

Quote Originally Posted by 7Trickster View Post
    That’s a quite a bad way to think imo, have you ever checked other games ?
    Why should I take other games into account when we're talking about classes and roles in AoC? Again, conqs are (off-)tanks, and should be played as such when needed. For the same reason, my second conq has a Carnage offtank and a Brute offtank build in addition of its Carnage DPS one. For the same reason, my NF necros all have a Rea build in case pets are needed. The fact that I loathe pet gameplay doesn't matter: if an encounter asks for pets, as a necro I must provide them. I made a choice, I accept the consequences of that choice.
    Note: although my main has been a necro for quite some time now, among other classes, I have 4 guards, 2 conqs and 1 baby DT.

But to answer you: I usually tend to unusual setups. My EVE fits are mostly considered strange for example, but they're also very effective, and when needed I carry enough modules to set up more traditional fits (on an alt most of the time.)
    As for my way of thinking about it: you play as you wish, as long as you fulfill the role given to you (or needed from you) by your group. If you don't want to, leave your group. A balance is needed between someone's personal fun and the fun of the other members of the group in order for everyone to enjoy the game.

As for being offended, here's the obligatory quote:
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
    I won't be offended so easily
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

That’s a quite a bad way to think imo, have you ever checked other games ? They do have classes who can indeed tank but it doesn’t mean they will because they are not specced and geared for it but instead for DPS. And they are able to do it properly. WoW warriors, DK, Monks etc are perfect examples. Same applies to other MMOs.

If it’s because, like the Xcodename said, an idiot who said he’s dps only and rolled tank gear, no reason to be salty about it like that. Just gotta be careful with who you play and idk set the loot to be distributed by a raid leader. Though I guess it’s not easy now in AoC with few players.

Edit: I mean no offense of course, just sharing my thoughts on the matter.
    Using WoW as example, a raid typically needs only 2 tanks and the rest of raid (18+ players) are mix of healers and dps. AoC requires a much larger percentage of the raid to be tank spec'd.

it's not that simple. if you want to make a group that is able to go through several instances, you need 2 tanks, 1 or 2 healers, 1 rogue (for tw and fh) and 1 mage (for uc and mage shield). it means that to find a spot for a pure dps soldier, and still have a versatile group, you have to go with just 1 healer.

while this is of course doable, most pugs prefer to go with 2 healers, because it's just easier, and it leaves not spot for a dps soldier.
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Nothing stops you from going (off)tank and dps on same spec. You'll not lose that much dps on tanky carnage spec and can offtank quite a bit even with dps gear if you so decide (well, not those fancy crossdressing monkeys that go barb or bb sin gear).
    Malystrie, barb pvp 0,66 lvl
    Rinloth, pom (minigames lost 0)

Default Under Performing

Barb for uber damage, conq for the sweet combat res and off tanking skills. If you compare carnage conq with any flavor of barb for dps, youll be let down as the barb will (should) out dps the carny conq. So the best thing for you to do is decide if you want to be primary dps or offtank with a hint of DPS. There are perks to both, like being able to wear any vanity on your conq while barb can only wear light armor and down. It is really up to your play style.

Making this thread even more off toppic:
    Why is everyone talking about conqs as offtanks? Every soldier class is perfectly capable of tanking every boss in the game. One might have advantages in some encounters, and some might have to go the extra mile gearwise, and some encounters scream for a certain class. If I remember correctly a loooong time ago, like 8 years or so, conq and dt were used mostly as offtanks, but nowadays with all the revamps and the gear and aas all tanks can tank everything. DT and conq just happen to be able to go dps spec, a guard does not have this option. Well, he has, but his dps will be low.

Perhaps this mindset is the reason why I meet so many conqs that can not tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantakwa View Post
    Why is everyone talking about conqs as offtanks? Every soldier class is perfectly capable of tanking every boss in the game.
    Because they're offtanks. Given equal player skill, gear and AAs, a conq cannot tank as well as a guard or DT.

Before the 1.04 update, DTs and conqs were limited to heavy armor, making them offtanks. Since 1.05 they can wear full plate, and the successive revamps and gears added to the game upgraded the DT to full (OP) tank status. The conq was given more resilience, but it's still not enough to bring it to the same level as the other soldiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast