Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing The class - tank

Question Choosing The class - tank

I am asking for a short description of the guardian, conquer and dark templar. differences between this class . I would like to choose a good character under pve and pvp, I will play with a friend - bear shaman.
    which class should I choose to be needed in pve and play well in pvp? I will also be playing solo

DPS:

DT >> Conq >>>> Guardian

Group Buffs/Utility:

Conq > Guardian >>>>>> DT

Survivability:
    More complicated than can quickly be easily be explained, but out of the box Guardian is by far the toughest and requires the least gear.

PVP / PVE:

All are strong in both fields. DT will require the highest skill level in PVP due to the range of 1H weapons. This is not a relevant factor in PVE.

Solo Play & Leveling:

Conq >>> Guard/DT

Complexity of Gameplay/Rotation etc. in PVE:

Conq / Guard >>>> DT

DTs are a life tapping DPS monster that take a lot of time to get geared up to reach this point. Until you get to the point where you do so much damage you heal more than you take, the class is somewhat feeble. There is no complexity in their rotation and many very successful DTs can do whatever they want and still be viable. All tanks are a big investment and none more so than a DT. A fully geared DT will make low level content trivial, so much so that the other soldiers/tanks need not apply. They are in that respect a broken (too good) class.
    Conqueror are the best class in the game and are badass tanks with 2H weapons, kicking ass and taking names. They are freaking awesome. They are the middle between DT and Conq for damage but built right are surprisingly tough, adaptable and can do very good damage. All tanks require a big investment and Conqs more than any others need this for magical/protection fights. It's been forever since I've PVP'd but they are/were generally considered broken for PVP. They have good passive group buffs and can raise people from the dead during combat. A good combination with Bear Shaman.
    Guardians are the traditional tanks from old MMOs, they do very little damage but are very tough. They have some very strong group buffs for melee and can rival Conquerors in this regard if the group is built correctly. With a Bear Shaman in the group the two will complement each other nicely. Be warned that their damage is low and they may feel like they are from a different era. They are also by far and away the toughest tank when given limited gear however as everyone gets completely equipped this strength fades somewhat.

thanks for your time!
    now my choice is less complicated. Dt or conq. I understand that conq is more offtank is not a basic tank for pve. I hope that dungeon up to 80lv I will be able to tank - conq.
    From your description, it appears that more positives class is conq. .

Quote Originally Posted by M3xes View Post
    thanks for your time!
    now my choice is less complicated. Dt or conq. I understand that conq is more offtank is not a basic tank for pve. I hope that dungeon up to 80lv I will be able to tank - conq.
    From your description, it appears that more positives class is conq. .
    For full disclosure I clearly love Conq so that is a solid recommendation from me. The Conq does not need to be an offtank and geared/specced appropriately is a very capable main tank all the way up to the highest level of content available. Of course if your gear is limited you may not be able to do that immediately.

Nice description boech, I share most of your opinions with some slight diffrences.

Groupbuffs/utility (if we share the view of what utility means) I would put Guardian before conq.

*The dps buffs are quite stronger then conqs if you use them in good bursty moments in the fights.
    *Guards have 2KB, 3stuns, all of them with short cooldowns. This makes fights convinient and controlled.
    *They have much shorter cd on their cry of havok, which makes it a better "aoe initial aggro" tank.

What I like with guardian, is that you have alot of survival tools that you benefit from significantly if used preventory. This makes the class complex even after years of playing, cos the more you know about the fights, the better youre gonna use these survivaltools. So not only does Guardians have the best survivability out of the box, once you learn the meta-game, you will also find yourself very strong, This is one of the reasons I still find the class interesting after all these years, the skillceiling is very high. This is the reason I find Guardian more complex to fully master then Conq.

I like Conq aswell, conq is also a class that require you to play it "right". You cant do whatever and get good results in aggro (like with dt). I enjoy playing Conq But after tanking some months in T6 using it as my main, I found the playstyle rather repetative, I never see myself changing the rotation up based on the fight, whatever comes at you, you have the ultimate formula, so for me, it got rather old after some time. But thats just personal preference and every class have that aspect to some degree, but some classes have other aspects that still stimulate you, once you come to that point.

As long as you dont pick a Dark templar, then i can rest in peace!
    Last edited by magnum92; 26th December 2017 at 09:56.
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Gentlemen your opinions is very helpful. My choice is conq

I would just go for DT, with Void of Madness and some "decent" gear (which you can basically farm in one week) you become an unstoppable DPS-Selfhealing-Maintank. You can solo tank most bosses (regardless of magic or physical), be on top of all DPS-parsers because you do like 2k crits in defense-stance (since you can tank almost everything in DPS spec with said gear and AA feat) and sometimes even be on top of healing in parsers.
    Sure you don't have as many utility feats as other tank classes but you probably bring the most important thing for the group: A class that can maintank while dishing out DPS like a damage dealer, making your group a 7man group instead of a 6man group. It takes a little more time to get the value out of this class (since it's mostly AA and gear dependent) but once you got there you have the stronges class in the game.

why did you do that? you only gave me a problem...

DT is good class with bs?
    Now i have conq on 21lv but I see next opinion and another reason to think about it eh...

Quote Originally Posted by M3xes View Post
    why did you do that? you only gave me a problem...

DT is good class with bs?
    Now i have conq on 21lv but I see next opinion and another reason to think about it eh...
    Dark templar is a boring class to play, requires no brain. Stick with the conq
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Meh, my favorite tank class has always been guard. Never really cared for Conq and felt DT was too gimmicky and broken.

All are more than capable of being good tank provided you have the gear/aa/skill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast