Thread: Open source to help the game

Default Open source to help the game

Hello !

I'm was asking why game developper dont open their source code (but nobody can exploit it for free) and let people give some code.
    Like with GitHub.
    Is it possible?
    Can we help Funcom like that?
    Because this is the best mmo i've ever played even if i don't play it a lot because of ping and other stuff.
    how can we help?

(sorry for the english )

Probably can't due to licensing (maybe?). Or due to the fact people could add in exploits to the code that they only know about.

I think it would be great to allow community members to fix some bugs in this game. I wouldn't mind having someone take a crack at the invisible horse bug, mini signup bug, etc.
    Retired / 2010-2016

yeah.. Maybe should i ask it to the dev by mail do you think?

I don't think so. You'd still need a developer to look over the code, check it for exploits, and make sure it doesn't break anything else. Funcom isn't going to peel off any developers from the Secret World Legends.

Age of Conan, as it stands, is a finished product.

It's over mate. Either you have to enjoy the game as it is, or find something else to play.
    Retired / 2010-2016

Quote Originally Posted by krippa View Post
    I don't think so. You'd still need a developer to look over the code, check it for exploits, and make sure it doesn't break anything else. Funcom isn't going to peel off any developers from the Secret World Legends.

Age of Conan, as it stands, is a finished product.

It's over mate. Either you have to enjoy the game as it is, or find something else to play.
    I am thinking of the 10th anniversary in may next year.

Actually it is a very unfinished product with a lot of bugs from the early years of the game there are still there.

Make the game open for later development is a good idea.
    The question is not too later for this? I do not know, but better than a dead and empty game without future.
    One my friend is a programmer, who started the game from the beginning and played a couple of years after. He had the idea about to make the game open for programmers. A few years ago we talked about to change the auction house/market place, he had good ideas about to make the game more user friendly, and the market more easily to use. He talked about how bad is this graphical engine, and how could be improve. And a few other things that I do not remember well.
    Last edited by Vyky; 26th October 2017 at 06:53.
    Vykthor (Barb) - Vykthorya (Demo) - Vyko (Guard) - Vyky (Pom)

"No Fear! No Limits! No Equal!" / SENNA /

Cool Vyky response

Vyky, it is very interesting !
    Do you thkink that you could talk again about it to you'r friend?
    I agree with you ! Better this than dead game. But as they said, the engine is i think, protected by copyright. how could we see the code and improve it but don't see the protected code?

Quote Originally Posted by jouliojules View Post
    Hello !

I'm was asking why game developper dont open their source code (but nobody can exploit it for free) and let people give some code.
    Like with GitHub.
    Is it possible?
    Can we help Funcom like that?
    Because this is the best mmo i've ever played even if i don't play it a lot because of ping and other stuff.
    how can we help?

(sorry for the english )
    Making this game open source has been asked for earlier and I still guess it's out of the question. Most people would use it to create exploits (if you can navigate that mess) and as I'm sure every game developer studio has that one guy or group of *******s that leave some bad code for exploits, just to sell cheats themselves for the extra gain. I would think these people would not like competition. Other than that, this is an mmo and quite a big one, with people paying subscription money and expecting the game to be a safe environment, handled by professionals from a given company, and not some random dude/dudess. I am also guessing that TSW engine might be built upon AOC engine (although it's much better performance wise), which makes it even more of a no go.
    I obviously like the idea and it would be awesome to have this game as open source at some time with a tool for creating mods (that way I'd make all ccs prepatch ccs, which were awesome ), lan/dedicated server support and some actual friggin pvp competitions with specific rulesets, but I'm sure a project worth millions in development won't be shared.

Quote Originally Posted by jouliojules View Post
    Vyky, it is very interesting !
    Do you thkink that you could talk again about it to you'r friend?
    I agree with you ! Better this than dead game. But as they said, the engine is i think, protected by copyright. how could we see the code and improve it but don't see the protected code?
    A long time ago I have not heared about that guy.
    The rumors were about the raw game is about 100 gigs! Somebody, somewhere, somehow has downloaded the full game. Maybe this was a leak and this could happen in the early stage of the game, I do not know more about this. Unfortunately we cannot do anything else until the source code is locked by privacy policy.

But. My personal opinion - seeing the current mmo market - let us be honest, this game has no chance against the current top tier games, and the future upcoming games either.
    Maybe in the future somebody, somewhere start to develop a new "AoC 2.0" built around the same style with the same genre, with a brand new looking and fighting system, then they have a chance to make something interesting. The rising of the sandbox type of mmo's are here, and maybe this one is the future, compared to the old themepark style.
    I do not think so that Conan Exiles will change the world, but this can be a pretty well made game between the survival type of mmo's.
    Otherwise the western mmo's are almost dead compared what kind of glush is coming from the east year by year form developing perspective. In these circumsatnces it has a very hard job to make a game for a western team. Though I am not a market resercher, I am just following the news about the current and the upcoming games and sometimes trying out them, but I can see like this.
    Vykthor (Barb) - Vykthorya (Demo) - Vyko (Guard) - Vyky (Pom)

"No Fear! No Limits! No Equal!" / SENNA /

Wouldn't matter at this point, game has some many exploits why not just give the cheat creators full access #facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Solareus View Post
    Wouldn't matter at this point, game has some many exploits why not just give the cheat creators full access #facepalm
    I disagree with everything you said