Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Dark Templar Tanking or DPS

Default New to Dark Templar Tanking or DPS

hey again I decide to roll a Dark Templar mainly be case I wasn't a big fan of Bear Shaman and I wanted a class that could wear heavy armor and have a higher survival rate and I was wondering what's easier for DT playing as a tank or as a DPS Thank you for your time and help

All the three tanks are expected to tank in groups and raids. If you want to dps, roll a rogue or mage. On some fights where there are enough / assigned tanks and the rest of the tanks can go dps, DT does a lot of dps, like carnage conq, but as a general rule guard, conq and dt have to tank, because they are tanks, and no other class can do it.

Tank is easier and actually more fun to play - you'll more funny stuff to play with, as the class is meant to be a tank. Don't mistake the DT for a WoW style def warrior, though: tank DTs can rival DPS classes while tanking. Yes, they are that overpowered if well equipped.

For levelling and solo playing, a feat setup like this can be fun:

http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v10_11f...287c11fe7118de

It'll give you great DPS, good survivability and introduce you to most unique features of the class. The build will give you good AoE DPS, which is one of the main strengths of the DT: You can herd together a group of enemies and hurt and tank them all at once.

Later, for serious tanking in groups, shift some points from Desecration to General.

Some DTs prefer to play with a talisman instead of a shield, but that's more of a gimmick build in my personal view - stick to the shield first, and when you're more comfortable with the class and geared up at level 80, think about talisman builds. For levelling, it's too much complexity for little (if any) gain.
    Last edited by Khaletohep; 23rd December 2016 at 23:22.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

Quote Originally Posted by Patoson View Post
    All the three tanks are expected to tank in groups and raids. If you want to dps, roll a rogue or mage.
    Possibly a contraversal comment, but I believe you should play your character the way YOU want to, not the way others expect you to. If you want to DPS with a DT than do so, it's your character, your play style and in the end your enjoyment factor.

As far as joining a group or raid; let them know before hand, if they don't want you to play the way you want to, than don't play with that group.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    Possibly a contraversal comment, but I believe you should play your character the way YOU want to, not the way others expect you to. If you want to DPS with a DT than do so, it's your character, your play style and in the end your enjoyment factor.

As far as joining a group or raid; let them know before hand, if they don't want you to play the way you want to, than don't play with that group.
    If the game had a bigger pop, that advice might fly. But taking a strictly dps dt into raids and especially sixmans is a lot like advertising a "heal specced" priest. You'll be lucky to get filler spots, because a heavy that wont tank and a healer that refuses to dps just won't be seen as pulling their weight.

This goes double for a dt, since VoM+Ibis lets a frenzied pajama dt pull aggro from tank-specced guards with relative ease, meaning they'll accomplish only two things in short order: they'll piss off the real heavies, and get killed.
    I don't make points I make dents.

It is an odd statement but not for the reason you think. While it might be harder to find spots in groups as a 'dps' soldier, and while others might frown upon it that is not the main reason I would advise against it. The main reason you should stay away from playing a soldier in frenzy purely as dps (desecration DT, carnage conq, tempest guard) is because they are extremely boring and you really are not getting a good experience. The enjoyment factor you talk about when playing a tank as a dps class is far lower then actually playing a rogue or mage s as a dps class. My guess is that because heavies are not really meant to be played like that, little time has been spend in developing an interesting dps playstyle for them unlike rogues or mages.

While all 3 soldiers can top parses in frenzy in those builds the gameplay is absolutely mind numbing. I would argue even ranger is more interesting to play then carnage dps conq or 'dps' DT. This is the main reason I would advise to roll a rogue or mage if you want to purely dps.

Pretty mcuh agree with the above 2 posts here

If all you do is zerg modes (WB/RF), DPS only is fine, makes no difference and no one can do anything about it.

For proper groups/raids, having a DPS build is fine and requesting to be a DPSer in a group or raid is also fine, but you'll get either passed on or asked to tank most of the time (when I was playing and making pugs I ignored DPS soldiers as well unless I couldn't fill), and in a game with such a low population it's not like there's 20 groups to choose from at any given time, so limiting yourself to a role that 6 other classes are made for and are better at (well 7 since conqs are more useful in a DPS slot than DT as well) is a pretty terrible idea. It's kinda the beggars can't be choosers deal.
    EvitoQQ @ YouTube
    THE IVORY TOWER - QQ - Schlenkerla/Hersch

Quote Originally Posted by Caudilloo View Post
    The main reason you should stay away from playing a soldier in frenzy purely as dps (desecration DT, carnage conq, tempest guard) is because they are extremely boring and you really are not getting a good experience. The enjoyment factor you talk about when playing a tank as a dps class is far lower then actually playing a rogue or mage s as a dps class.
    Nr. 1 the OP never said anything about raids or groups and neither did I. If that is your 'all' than sticking with the trinity sure ....., but if you're a solo'er than playing the game the way you want to is more important.

Nr. 2 You guys might be right about the frenzy thing, but as I don't use either it or the defense stance I won't comment on that.

As far as a good experience and enjoyment factor I can state that I have just as much fun playing my DT as my Ranger or my ToS. They all have their own playstyle and you have to plan out your attacks differently for each.

I have never liked in any of the games I've played to feel like I'm required to play the way someone else wants. For if that's the case then I'm not playing it for my enjoyment, but for theirs.

Nr. 1 the OP never said anything about raids or groups and neither did I. If that is your 'all' than sticking with the trinity sure ....., but if you're a solo'er than playing the game the way you want to is more important.

Nr. 2 You guys might be right about the frenzy thing, but as I don't use either it or the defense stance I won't comment on that.

As far as a good experience and enjoyment factor I can state that I have just as much fun playing my DT as my Ranger or my ToS. They all have their own playstyle and you have to plan out your attacks differently for each.

I have never liked in any of the games I've played to feel like I'm required to play the way someone else wants. For if that's the case then I'm not playing it for my enjoyment, but for theirs.
    It's less how someone else wants you to play and more a question of optimal versus not optimal. Every class has an ideal spec and rotation that gives a sweet spot for best possible dps, aggro, heals, whatever, and the more someone deviates from this, the less their end result numbers will be. It's an inescapable conclusion of the video game world.
    I don't make points I make dents.

And yet if you shouldn't do it, than why is that option available?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast