Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merging Crom and Fury?? A simple solution, how to make pvp and pve in one server!

Lightbulb Merging Crom and Fury?? A simple solution, how to make pvp and pve in one server!

Well, as we all know Fury lacks of players. The population is on crom, so everyone "have to" move to crom. I do know that the devs does not care much for pvp, and we will forever have to live with that. But one thing could help alot. If we could merge Fury and Crom into one server. All players could play together. Wouldn't that remove the world pvp form the game you may ask. Well I might have a solution for that.

Every time you enter a sone you have to choose: Normal or Epic. What if there was a third option?? Yes, Choose to enter PVP.

So what will aoc benefit from this? Well my best memories from Aoc is way back when your guild mattered in other ways than doing great in raids. When a simple gank could lead to anything(Great fights or long term guild rivalry). This is something that many games try to make thies days. Obviously because its extremely involving, entertaining and fun. With this feature it would even lead to fair fights, because the fresh 80s and pve-ers would quest in piece in a normal instance. A better geared player might want to do their quests in a PvP instance, just so they might stumble over a vital challenge and he need to ask his guild for aid!

Also, then the PVP festival event could take place all around the world like it is currently on fury. You just have to enter a sone in PvP mode to particepate.

What do you guys think about this?

This has been suggested and discussed by players many times. At no point has a Dev ever said it was simple or even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddam View Post
    This has been suggested and discussed by players many times. At no point has a Dev ever said it was simple or even possible.

Thanks for answer!
    Ah, thats too bad.

If this isn't possible for some reason, they could make it like border instances are for the resource zones. Just add a duplicate of every festival zone without mobs and enable pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddam View Post
    You do not need a dev to know this is simple and possible. Just look at the game and how it is structured and what they could do in the past (even if you have no programming experience yourself, which many of those suggesting it have or had). It might not work as intended on first try, but there should be no technical issue speaking against it.

It would certainly make sense to try it out on fury (lesser population, lesser usage of quest zones) without risk of a merge first. I am sure they would be surprised, if they'd do it on crom after a test too, how many "pvers" would be interested in doing pvp.

Unfortunately the dev team is not capable of merging the two servers and maintaining both rulesets. It would take a large amount of coding to integrate it and they lack the funding. And as it was said, this idea has been brought up many times and the devs have never officially commented on it. They have stated they can not even fix the minigame random balance algorithm because the lines of code are too complex and the original dev team is not around anymore. They essentially screwed the game code by installing that.

These threads usually get a lot of blow back from some of the pve crowd who want to keep it segregated because they feel that the community on fury is too "toxic" and instead want players to fork over the money to transfer toons. How they draw this conclusion? Well it is a pvp server so it must be toxic right?

I have noticed over the years that this particular set of players who essentially "hate pvpers" and go out of their way to express their disdain at said players, are some of this forums/games most prominent trolls and are generally disliked by the community as a whole because they tend to be disruptive not only in here but in game. Antics such as logging into minigames just to ruin it for others by going afk or running around naked etc. These are players who have an irrational hatred for pvpers because they were ganked and griefed one too many times in their early days. At the end of the day we are all people regardless of playstyle you prefer.

The only toxicity I have seen on Fury since i have been coming back is a few players who barely speak english who constantly spam global chat with useless nonsense that doesn't really make sense. Otherwise Fury seems fairly pleasant these days. There is and always has been the ignore button but I have a thicker skin than most so it doesn't bother me when people rant and rave.

Personally I think the community on Crom is by far more toxic and elitist. Spend some time raiding there and you will see first hand just how people get when mistakes occur. The salt is real as they say. I personally would sooner quit playing than play on Crom, not because I think it is a toxic community but It lacks real open world pvp and to me that is an enjoyable aspect of this game they are missing out on.

I personally think fury is ok, It is a pvp server and that's about all you will get by playing there. If you need raiding and 6 mans and group pve content then crom is where you need to go. You will have a very hard time doing any pve content on fury. People just don't care for it anymore. Besides there are plenty of other games with much better pve mechanics than age of conan. This is a game that is best for pvp. I have searched far and wide for a replacement game and have not yet found one that is satisfactory.

If one day they manage to merge both servers while maintaining both rulesets I would welcome this change. But I know it will never happen.

In the meantime there is plenty of free beer on Fury and it is active enough to have pvp in open world and minigames. Just the other night in Kesh it was loaded with people and this was late night US time. I haven't seen kesh so full in a long time. It is a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Laethiel View Post
    Unfortunately the dev team is not capable of merging the two servers and maintaining both rulesets. It would take a large amount of coding to integrate it and they lack the funding. And as it was said, this idea has been brought up many times and the devs have never officially commented on it. They have stated they can not even fix the minigame random balance algorithm because the lines of code are too complex and the original dev team is not around anymore. They essentially screwed the game code by installing that.
    ...n.
    I do not believe that (the capable part, i believe the part with the original team).
    It will neither be very long coding or difficult coding. But it might require some consecutive hours in a row working on old AoC stuff, where the devs might not be allowed to do so. Still it will be a sign and an investment therefore into the other games (or upcoming games) as well.
    It would be interesting to see how fast some bugs or the minigame code would be fixed, if they made part of the code open source

The main drawback about a merge will be admittance of defeat and a sign of no confidence in growth. But this does not have to be connected to offer a pvp and a pve instance of the same map on any server type.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 5th August 2016 at 16:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    It will neither be very long coding or difficult coding.

How do you know this to be the case? Are you privy to the source code?

Quote Originally Posted by Laethiel View Post
    How do you know this to be the case? Are you privy to the source code?
    No, but i worked with difficult (not mine) code before in addition to everything i already said. And i am not even good at this. And you just need to look at what modders did with xml in AoC already and what other modders did for other games.

First, they can and have added (or removed) options upon entering before (villas, event villas, introduction of pvp events, new entrance to arena in fotd etc.), so they should know how to do this still.
    Second, they can individually set the flag for the instance (or even zones in the instance), just look at arena (so old code is NOT an excuse here), old arena, again pvp events. I first thought this the main problem, but if you look closer at existing mechanics and maps, it is clear, they can have different flags on the same server of one instance type (just look at the conditional pvp/pve enabled in a mini game map) or they can override the global flag.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 5th August 2016 at 17:47.

Merge fury and crom : Ok

BUT with fury's rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! too fun

PVP PVP PVP !!!!!!!
    FURY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast