Thread: To the developers - just an idea to revamp the resource zones and enhance the game

Default To the developers - just an idea to revamp the resource zones and enhance the game

As it has been from the early days of AoC, the resource zones of Poitain, Purple Lotus, and Lachiesh Plains have always been a bit of a mixed bag in terms of content. Existing for the sole purpose of grinding resources and building guild cities, these massive zones are left by the wayside in terms of lore and quality content. In light of the impending crafting revamp, or to possibly breathe new life and add quality PvE content to the game, I have dreamed up a few ideas that some may find interesting. For everyone who sees this, I am well aware that devs probably dont really care, however Id like to hear what other players think of my ideas.

First of all I am extremely fond of the Khitan faction content. Picking your sides, waging wars, and getting immersed into the lore for high teir gear is extremely rewarding and I think it does the game a disservice that new f2p players never see this content. My suggestion is creating smaller scale faction content (much like the wolves and hyrks of the northern grasslands) for the resource fields to bring in players and breath life into these empty zones. There would be some effort involved, as gear and quests would need to be programmed. For Gear Id suggest pallet swaps of existing gear, or attatch epic level stats to weapons and armor currently in the game, worn by npcs, but not available to the player at this time. This gear should be ranke Teir 1.5 or 2.5 to allow f2p players to dip their toes into factions while giving p2p players a distinct advantage with the Khitai reputation gear.

For Poitain I suggest the Nemedians vs the Poitain Nobles. With a full scale invasion taking place at the capital, there is little to stop the Nemedian incursion upon Aqulonian soil. Poitain nobles with few resources and against all odds launch a desperate defense of their home, utilizing any mercenary they can muster. On the oppposite side we have the Nemedian Incursion force who are launching a bloody campaign against Aqulonia and seek to squash out the last resistance in Poitain. Obviously, Nemedian items already drop from the Border Lands and recoloring them should be fairly simple. Aquilonian pieces would be nice as there are several nice armor pieces in the game already that get very little use.

For Lachiesh Plains I suggest the Villagers of Brandoc vs the Pictish Tribes. Pictish tribes convene once again to shed Cimmerian blood, and the villagers of Brandoc seek to do the same in kind. I would love to see more of the Pictish armor sets available to players and there are many awesome Cimmerian pieces that could be reskinned and put to great use. Beyond that, Id like to see the more lore in the area and what the deal is with all those spiders and green giants!

For Purple Lotus Swamp, I am the most excited about. The Stygian Expedition and the Kushite Raiders. Much of the lore of the area will focus around the large Acheronian ruin in the center which, despite its awesome and ominous presence, hasnt been featured in any content what so ever (why funcom? it looked like it took so many man hours to build??). Kushite Armor already exists in the game, however it is terrible and doesn't really matter outside the style tab. The people of Kush and the south feature prominently in Conan stories, however, they are barely existent in this game.

Marks of Acclaim still have weight here, though Imperial Insignias should be worthless. Much, if not all, of the gear should be purchasable if you do not revamp the resource zone dungeons along with the zones themselves. Boss fights, quest structure, and all art assets and much of the programming could and should be recycled from the Khitai expansion and brought into the old world. Khitai was quality content and, in my opinion, some of the best AoC has to offer. Funcom has a lot to gain by exposing new players and f2p players to your awesome faction content and giving incentive to purchase Rise of the Godslayer.

That a nice idea, even if gear could be just for style, or some accessories.
    Haedian, Officier/RL Les Naufragés d'Hyboria

I like your ideas, I've always thought the resource zones were really cool locations but had very little content, and that's a shame.
    Kaleeh PoM - Resolved Guard - Reducia Sin

Quote Originally Posted by redpooo View Post
    I like your ideas, I've always thought the resource zones were really cool locations but had very little content, and that's a shame.
    Yeah it seems there iss no real reason to go there anymore unless you are building a guild city.

Back in 2010 I hope that Chosain would look like that. Would enjoy content you suggested.
    Retired

Great idea! Now the resource zone maps are smaller than the Khitai maps, and is populated by said villages with crafting NPC's, resource nodes and guild cities, also Border Kingdoms for sieges and PvP stuff, so, don't know how that would work out. Maybe add an "unchained" option to the map when zoning there. Also a remake of the sixman instances in these zones would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    Great idea! Now the resource zone maps are smaller than the Khitai maps, and is populated by said villages with crafting NPC's, resource nodes and guild cities, also Border Kingdoms for sieges and PvP stuff, so, don't know how that would work out. Maybe add an "unchained" option to the map when zoning there. Also a remake of the sixman instances in these zones would be cool.
    Oh good point! Yeah it would simplify things alot if the guild city/border kingdoms versions stayed as they are but the unchained has the new content scaled for level 80 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by DeavonW View Post
    Oh good point! Yeah it would simplify things alot if the guild city/border kingdoms versions stayed as they are but the unchained has the new content scaled for level 80 characters.
    Level 80? This is Funcoms opportunity to raise level cap to 85 and bring new gear into the game Hahah.. as if..

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    Level 80? This is Funcoms opportunity to raise level cap to 85 and bring new gear into the game Hahah.. as if..
    I know it's just a pipe dream of mine and we shouldn't expect any content coming down the pipes. Still I think this game has potential and I like to stay positive about the game. There is and always has been a divide from what funcom wants to do with the game and what fans actually want. I don't think they are worried about getting new players with stuff like this.. I think they always bank on their games being massive hits right out from the gate without worrying about long term support hence no substantial content drops since 2010.