Thread: Group spec advice

Default Group spec advice

Hello!

I've just returned to AoC after being gone since 2011. I see we have the ability to dual spec now, so I was thinking I am going to make one solo/survival PvE spec and one group/raid PvE spec. Now, I figure no-one cares what I do for Solo PvE, so I'll just make something I enjoy and gives me survival. I do however need some advice (or a ready build?) for the group spec.

The most important thing, I guess, is that I can't remember is Barbarians are supposed to bring anything to the fight, or if they are just melee DPS bots. The second thing, I have no idea about stats, and my reading a lot of advice has only made me more confused. (I ran this game solo for the most part back in the day, and raiding was done in with casual guildies who didn't care if I performed top notch, so I just put on whatever had bigger numbers). What are the sweetspot for hit? Is strength or dexterity a rogue's a best friend? Do I love gear heavy on combat rating or crit chance/rating the most?

I'd appreciate any pointers, links to up-to-date guides, and builds.

~Nord (aka Nordavind from The Secret World)

PS: A tad off topic but is Tortage level-locked now? Tried to go back to do some achievements, but the guy on the dock refused to take me.

Guessing you don't have access to class forums since you post in F2P section.

Barbarians; strength and combat rating are both good. 1 strength give you 3 combat rating, 2 armor and 2 stamina. While combat rating gives you none, just combat rating. Dexterity does nothing for you except add 2 stamina and 0,5 evade rating. So definitely avoid dexterity. Leave that to Rangers and Assassins.

Hit rating is important. You need that to hit with your combos and alternate advancement abilites, like Finely Honed and Tainted Weapons. Both are almost absolutely a must to have if you intend to do group content at level 80.

Crit rating is good - but if you do use reaver with 1h combos, crit chance will stack up along with your reaver stacks. Safe starter spec with tons of anti hate and decent dps. http://goo.gl/0Ig6gt if you want something more you can try this http://goo.gl/7GOKaB

For weapons, put the highest dps in main hand and a buffing weapon in offhand. Common examples are Ibis/T3 1he in main hand and Tigerswipe in offhand.

What does Barbarians bring to the fight. Group buffs. You got something in your AA called Flanking, which is good for your soldiers. You also buff your group with the feats Savage Fury and Too Many To Count. Armageddon Falls places a curse on the target so the whole raid does extra damage when doing physical hits.

Except for that, keep eyes open for the directional shields, and circle strafe the mob to hit open or low shielded area with combo finisher. Put your damage buffs on a hotbar and keybind then for easy to reach. Impale, Dance of Death and Haste definitely needs to be on a keybind. Also Overpower is a nice instant ability. Every 10 seconds frontal cone damage relative to how high you stack Reaver.

Berserker builds also have good damage after a recent buff to that tree. Something like this, do your own preference.. http://goo.gl/trWGgc Still use Reaver buff in this build. Upheaval is always priority and fill with Decapitation, Staggering Blow, Stunning Punch and Clobber. Same thing goes for damage buffs. In this build you buff your group with Rampaging Horde and Thirst for Blood in addition to Savage Fury and Too Many To Count. Same goes for weapons. Highest base dps possible.

Thank you for your reply. I'll test out the builds.

Regarding hit rating: is there not a number to aim for? Like in SWTOR I know that I need enough rating to give me +10 % (to a total of 110 %) to counter raid boss mitigation. In TSW I know the sweetspot for Hit Rating is 650 points. With the gear I have on now I have 11 % on my barb, but I have no idea what that translates to.

Also, I seem to remember that there was some talk (before I left) that a barb should switch weapons during the fight, utilizing both 2h and 1h dual wield abilities. Do I remember correctly, and if so, is that still a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordadrag View Post

Regarding hit rating: is there not a number to aim for? Like in SWTOR I know that I need enough rating to give me +10 % (to a total of 110 %) to counter raid boss mitigation. In TSW I know the sweetspot for Hit Rating is 650 points. With the gear I have on now I have 11 % on my barb, but I have no idea what that translates to.

Also, I seem to remember that there was some talk (before I left) that a barb should switch weapons during the fight, utilizing both 2h and 1h dual wield abilities. Do I remember correctly, and if so, is that still a thing?
    15% hit rating seems to be the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordadrag View Post

A bare minimum of hit rating is 12,5% - under that and you will get a lot of resist/evade on your combos. Highly recommend to aim for closer to 20%. Finely Honed and Tainted Souls can also be resisted if you don't have enough hit rating and some times, that can wipe groups in certain encounters.

Well, depends. All your crowd controls are done with 2h weapons, except No Escape that works with a 1h too. Your armor debuffer, Wreck Armor is a 1h combo. Depending on your group and if someone else is applying debuffs you would adapt to the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    Finely Honed and Tainted Souls can also be resisted
    Tainted Weapons*
    Kaleeh PoM - Resolved Guard - Reducia Sin

Quote Originally Posted by redpooo View Post
    Tainted Weapons*
    Your right and Shax is confusing the combo with his guild
    Xiuhcoatl, Xipil, Udiya, Zhoerong lvl 80 HoXes .... multi-speccing?
    Gorgophone lvl 80 Barb, Kheiron lvl 80 PoM (Heal?), Uruloki lvl 80 Demo (Nub), Berenike lvl 80 Conq (retired.) All raised on Hyrkania RP-PVE (R.I.P.) server.

[undisclosed] lvl 80 HoX (!), Marbhaisgort lvl 80 Necro (fresh), Chahwuk (ToS)/Merav(Necro) lvl5x (for when I get to do Purist-achievements) Cromites.

Membership valid until 2018-03-16 20:02:55 Got tricked again 2015-12-14

Thank you all for your input.

Now I just need to find some T1 raids.

Quote Originally Posted by HaremBunny View Post
    Your right and Shax is confusing the combo with his guild
    Hah, did I really type that now. Was aware of my hangover but did not think it was that bad. :-D