Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from the Game Director & a 2015 retrospective

Funcom Greetings from the Game Director & a 2015 retrospective

Hey all,

While not quite early this week, technically, we're happy to re-introduce Romain "Tilty" Amiel to the Age of Conan fold.

Plus, a look back at 2015 from yours truly. ;D

"Greetings from the Game Director: Romain "Tilty" Amiel!"

"The Year Past; the Year Ahead"

Cheers!
    FuncomAndy 'Odonoptera' Benditt
    Community Manager
    Twitter: @AndyBenditt

Age of Conan Website | Social Guidelines | Customer Service

Thanks to both of you for this double letter.

First of all, I'd like to welcome the "new" game Director. I liked your work so far, Tilty. I think the zone and encounters you've helped to design are a part of what makes the charm of AoC and distinguish it from other MMO. Second, the teaser for the new Conan-related product is intriguing, I like it. For AoC in itself, I would have loved more details about the arena and the raid search tool. Both are still kind of mysterious features, the explanation we got so far were pretty vague.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

Thumbs up

Welcome to Tilty as the new GD, and thanks for the news. Keep up the good work !
    Last edited by redpooo; 21st January 2016 at 09:40.
    Kaleeh PoM - Resolved Guard - Reducia Sin

Welcome back, Tilty, to the sexy, savage and brutal world of the AoC forums (well, maybe not that sexy, but the rest is true)! You did some nice work on RotGS, though Yag certainly did not turn out to be the hardest dungeon in the game.

And thanks Odonoptera for your recap. Looking forward to some more info on what's planned for 2016 once you guys are ready to speak about that. (Guess that maybe be related to a certain countdown, in addition to Tilty getting reacquainted with the game.)
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Yay, new game director!

"While we're on the subject of controversy, I'm also the guy "responsible" for the Enigmata of Yag!"

So this is the guy who had the crazy head of creating this. I have wondered about this a few times while swimming upwards a stream of water floating in the air!

Awesome! Hope we can see some progress on the pressing matters in this game now.

Thanks to you both for updates/letters

Looking forward to hearing more about your plans for AoC over the coming months & whats in store for us with the new Conan game.

So they still claim to be working on 2 things, raid finder and a solo arena dungeon. I know I am crazy but I still don't see where the support/desire from the playerbase wants either of these things. If they are truly working on it, how about a picture/diagram anything to show that it is being worked on. Just parroting it over and over for what 2 months now, shows more concern than anything else.

I'd rather resources be devoted to Slithering Chaos Dungeon, possibly 2 more Unchained Dungeons and 2 new pvp mini maps. This is actual content with replay value unlike a 5 minute solo arena that will probably not even work correctly. I still don't get how anyone could possibly want this. Solo Arena to kill pets, it has very little replay value unless they script every pet differently and I don't believe they will put the time into that. Its a lot of work that could be used elsewhere considering how little we get as it is.

Raid Finder is another mystery. I suppose until they prove any kind of work and just speculating, it seems it'll be a separate raid instance with bosses having WB mechanics and guaranteed loot drop. To me, this just ruins the other raids. What would be the point of doing the other raids where you have to do mechanics, not hit once and go afk, not get a guaranteed drop. This silly idea just destroys the raiding in this game. I really don't think they should spend time working on more loot pinatas. There's a lot of questions and so far, almost no answers.

I see we have a new GD. Honestly, I expected a little more from the letter. He basically worked on some play-fields 8 years ago and Khitai dungeons 6 years ago. Hes had a month, month and a half now to "catch up" (which means he hasnt done a single thing in 6 years for Aoc) and yet we still didn't really get anything. I'll give him some time though. It just seems to me that they aren't really doing much at all with this new game coming up.

And yes, the recap of last year. We had a total of 3 features last year. 3 features, that took the entire year to fix/correct and the raid dungeon that still isn't barely even balanced past the 3rd boss. I would post what TSW got, but why bother.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    So they still claim to be working on 2 things, raid finder and a solo arena dungeon. I know I am crazy but I still don't see where the support/desire from the playerbase wants either of these things. If they are truly working on it, how about a picture/diagram anything to show that it is being worked on. Just parroting it over and over for what 2 months now, shows more concern than anything else.

I'd rather resources be devoted to Slithering Chaos Dungeon, possibly 2 more Unchained Dungeons and 2 new pvp mini maps. This is actual content with replay value unlike a 5 minute solo arena that will probably not even work correctly. I still don't get how anyone could possibly want this. Solo Arena to kill pets, it has very little replay value unless they script every pet differently and I don't believe they will put the time into that. Its a lot of work that could be used elsewhere considering how little we get as it is.

Raid Finder is another mystery. I suppose until they prove any kind of work and just speculating, it seems it'll be a separate raid instance with bosses having WB mechanics and guaranteed loot drop. To me, this just ruins the other raids. What would be the point of doing the other raids where you have to do mechanics, not hit once and go afk, not get a guaranteed drop. This silly idea just destroys the raiding in this game. I really don't think they should spend time working on more loot pinatas. There's a lot of questions and so far, almost no answers.

I see we have a new GD. Honestly, I expected a little more from the letter. He basically worked on some play-fields 8 years ago and Khitai dungeons 6 years ago. Hes had a month, month and a half now to "catch up" (which means he hasnt done a single thing in 6 years for Aoc) and yet we still didn't really get anything. I'll give him some time though. It just seems to me that they aren't really doing much at all with this new game coming up.

And yes, the recap of last year. We had a total of 3 features last year. 3 features, that took the entire year to fix/correct and the raid dungeon that still isn't barely even balanced past the 3rd boss. I would post what TSW got, but why bother.
    I assume there hasn't hardly been any work completed on the AoC Version of the Raid Finder yet. They are still working on it for TSW (on TSW testlive atm). Once that version is done I assume they will move on to porting it to AoC.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    I assume there hasn't hardly been any work completed on the AoC Version of the Raid Finder yet. They are still working on it for TSW (on TSW testlive atm). Once that version is done I assume they will move on to porting it to AoC.
    I think it makes sense for TSW to have a raid finder because there are hardly any kind of global pug raids. And their raids are small being 12 people. New York raid has 1 meaningful drop for 12 people to fight over. If everyone got something it would make sense.

Porting that Aoc, doesn't make sense. There are plenty of guild or pug raids and they fill just fine either in guild or global depending on what it is. Each raid has differing mechanics that require certain roles.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Welcome Tilty. Hope to see you around.

With that being said, it seems like the only things planned for 2016 are 1.) Raid Finder 2.) Solo Arena and 3.) Potentially making a transition from the "freemium" model to a buy-to-play model for RoTGS.

Slithering Chaos is finished from what Cirith said before he left, it was just waiting on animation resources. How far down on the list is it? It's been years now. Any plans to finish the crafting revamp once the Raid Finder and Arena are out? Or a Dragonspine PvP minimap?

I get it though. The game is in maintenance mode - the games budget is but a reflection of its revenues.
    Last edited by krippa; 23rd January 2016 at 12:59.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast