Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Idea for a New Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Roddam View Post
    I have seen you make statements like this before. Have you seen the game code or talked to a AoC game developer? How do you know it would be "minimal coding"?
    Well I'm making the assumption they have competent employees that have experience coding...
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Funcom has funcommed their own code so devs have had troubles even a few years ago to fix simple bugs
    (at least that is what has been said)
    I can't remember which one it was , but some change has already made part of the landscape in purple lotus disappear. Not surprised nobody is eager to edit those old maps
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

It'd be nice if they'd just put the map back to it's original form where greater number of kills determines winner.

Destroying the totem in the old days was only done to end a game earlier when the other team gives up.

Better yet... revert the map back and add a force shield or something that prohibits the other team from entering the other team's spawn area. There's plenty of area's in the game where if one sets foot passed a certain point a timer starts and then kills the toon if you don't get back out of it. It could be like Dragon's Spine and the Serpentskin boots except that the color of the cape is required to be in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by slackjoint View Post
    Funcom has funcommed their own code so devs have had troubles even a few years ago to fix simple bugs
    (at least that is what has been said)
    I can't remember which one it was , but some change has already made part of the landscape in purple lotus disappear. Not surprised nobody is eager to edit those old maps
    This might only be the case, if you wait a few more patches and are not doing proper testing. Otherwise even with really, really bad code this should be easy to fix, since you should know what you changed a few hours ago and even bad code does not change upon itself. Of course unless they are lazy and use "find and replace" as most common edit method or use modern "swipe" pad controls to edit the maps...
    To anyone with a hint of coding knowledge this is obvious that the existance of such bugs as the purple lotus mountains means, that they do not WANT to fix it or are not allowed to fix it. And their map editor is not broken, as shadow of vanaheim has proven. Not the best maybe, but even in a bad editor you should be able to load and save various map versions to compare...(even if someone deleted the huge mountains from the prop database, they should have an older copy to reinclude them or at least add other placeholders!!!).

And yes, changing all maps to deathmatch should be easy coding, because DM is already there as basic: The kills are already counted! The code for testing about most kills is already in totem torrent. The gui is already there. So it comes down in worst case to copy/paste, a few manual edits and gametesting. If this is too much work for a "coder", you have a serious problem. Maybe hire a modder then?
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 16th December 2015 at 06:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogec View Post
    Oh, you mean soldiers running around 24/7 in frenzy racking up kills while everybody hunts clothies like during pvp event deathmatch? Yea, sounds like legit fun, especially in pug with lowbie players and no healer in group.
    Learn to kite and bring them back to your group. Soldiers really are not as powerful as they were a few years back, there isn't really any reason to complain about them anymore. If you want to complain about something, complain about all the rogues that sit in stealth and watch half the team die before they pop out. TT is fail. 90% of the games are nothing more than cap cap cap and the only fighting that happens is the last 30 seconds were one team hunts down the other when the totem is destroyed.

Then half the time the losing team gets stuck in the mini after its over, which wastes more of your time having to relog. Direwolf has a point, change it back to the way it was. There is 3 CTF maps, having a single DM type of map is not asking much.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Usedtissue View Post
    How do you figure? Sure I'm not saying that balance is going to be any better than CTF but the American style of premade has ALWAYS been team deathmatch where as EU generally prefers to premade with flags. If you youtube my channel you can find a few competitive matches of TDM where there is as much skill/tactics if not more than in some flag premades. This notion that TDM is an intrinsically skill-less game mode is a farce at best. It is an easy way to make more content, and the way the game is now, things will never be perfectly balanced but more options is always better.

It will not force you to play the new gamemodes, but if you so choose to you can. Seems like a hole-in-one for the Devs.
    Why are you bringing premades into this? Ofc there is plenty of teamplay in DM if its premade vs. premade, but im talking about 99,99% of the minigames which will be played as pug vs pug. Not to mention if you want to play premade DM, you can easily play it with current tournament system.

How do I figure? Just look at the DMs during pvp event and how do they work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    Assuming all you say is true, there are still advantages to introducing a pure DM map:
    - the kill, kill, true pvp! players will sign there instead of breaking other objective oriented maps
    - it will show exactly what you say: class inbalances, pug teamplay etc.. This is necessary to showcase and benchmark what needs to be done (or not to be done!). You can not test 1 vs 1 or 5 vs 5 in an objective oriented map properly
    - it can be only the start of new maps, there were a lot of good ideas for hybrid or per se inbalanced maps (which are good, if they counter the class inbalances for example) on the old forums
    True, but on the other you can achieve that only with class sign ups somewhat evenly split and im not sure that will happen, because otherwise itll be just a deathtrap for new players.
    Pogecor - PvP 10 Guardian
    Micinecka - PvP 10 Priest of Mitra
    Pichalka - PvP 10 Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Usedtissue View Post
    How do you figure? Sure I'm not saying that balance is going to be any better than CTF but the American style of premade has ALWAYS been team deathmatch where as EU generally prefers to premade with flags. If you youtube my channel you can find a few competitive matches of TDM where there is as much skill/tactics if not more than in some flag premades. This notion that TDM is an intrinsically skill-less game mode is a farce at best. It is an easy way to make more content, and the way the game is now, things will never be perfectly balanced but more options is always better.

It will not force you to play the new gamemodes, but if you so choose to you can. Seems like a hole-in-one for the Devs.
    FC would never do it anyways :P No resources and other priorities I believe. So topic about nothing. Tho improving TT this way would be good, others maps no go imo.

offtopic: Its apriori obvious that doing A B C is more complex than doing A and B only :P So deathmatch cant have more tactics than flag premade, since its same deathmatch while good teams playing but with flag addition ;P
    Cripples gonna cripple

Quote Originally Posted by Kelnin View Post
    +1

All minis should have no other objectives than pure slaughter, imo. Move lava pits and jagged rocks and environment to kick people into or interact with and fewer cookie-cutter objectives.
    yes!

1 mini game map with treacherous environment, thats the whole idea of having different maps (blood ravine sucks)

Except it would bring up all the crappy aspects of current minies (class imbalance, pvp lvl imbalance, pug "teamplay) even more and made them a lot worse. In current minies even weaker (worse class setup, lower lvls etc.) team still has a decent chance to win if they are not afraid to die more and play for the team, but in DM? No way.
    if you want kills, you cant 'pug' xd. you need to have an organized strategy. if you are a baddie ranger that sits at the farthest point possible from the action keeping traps for yourself, you will lose. on the other hand, my teams will win ALOT

How do I figure? Just look at the DMs during pvp event and how do they work out.
    i nearly literally always top all kills on my necro at the arena event, thats a clothie. see your classes play different in capture the flag and DM (DTS would have a great time tho)
    Last edited by Anzu; 22nd December 2015 at 14:44.

Cloth armor players are not useless if played right, even against tanks. I get demolished with good kiting, and if say a ranger drains my stam I can't do anything but get cc'd and die. This isn't two years ago when heavies are super powerful imo.

I don't see why anyone would have any argument against extra content that should be easy to produce. Adding more maps will appease the token collectors as well, and give vets new things to experience. A win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by camilleboucquill View Post
    i nearly literally always top all kills on my necro at the arena event, thats a clothie.
    So does Tekhan...
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast