Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Quest colassal waste of time

It's pretty easy if you use your brain. All of these encounters were made so anyone can do it regardless of gear if they apply the right tactic.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    It's pretty easy if you use your brain. All of these encounters were made so anyone can do it regardless of gear if they apply the right tactic.
    That might have been the intention, but the reality is different. There is also a big difference between "can do it with several tries, preparation and luck" and "simply fight a few minutes".
    There is also a problem in general with too much scripting, because of course once you know the tactics it is easy, but till you do, it can very well seem impossible. This can very well be a lot of fun to figure out, if the "puzzle" is fair and findoutable or your char has the option to actually try different setups and can restock...but in either case the sensation for me is gone with repeated kills.
    I would prefer a system, where you feel like you are fighting a tough boss, not a program. But system design and KI were never strengths of MMOs i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    That might have been the intention, but the reality is different. There is also a big difference between "can do it with several tries, preparation and luck" and "simply fight a few minutes".
    There is also a problem in general with too much scripting, because of course once you know the tactics it is easy, but till you do, it can very well seem impossible. This can very well be a lot of fun to figure out, if the "puzzle" is fair and findoutable or your char has the option to actually try different setups and can restock...but in either case the sensation for me is gone with repeated kills.
    I would prefer a system, where you feel like you are fighting a tough boss, not a program. But system design and KI were never strengths of MMOs i guess...
    Actually no. There isn't any puzzle thinking at all. One boss you simply keep casting purge and refilling your jar so you can do so. The other boss you simply avoid a ground centered AoE. The werewolf boss you drag to the light. There isn't a single boss fight that requires more than a single brain cell to finish. They really did make it so anyone can finish this content, people who can't I would say are first time MMO players not used to MMO game mechanics.

My complaint would be the quest giver with the additional quests for the Khemi quests is by the silk road entrance, so you might miss these the first time through since the main quest is by the trader immediately directs you to the inn.
    Last edited by Suctum; 27th October 2015 at 11:51.
    Doomsayer 2008

My complaint would be the quest giver with the additional quests for the Khemi quests is by the silk road entrance, so you might miss these the first time through since the main quest is by the trader immediately directs you to the inn.

You are talking about the "Festival of Set" Kill / Survive quests right?

How does theese work?...it says travel to the main island..and thats it.

I picked up the quests but cant find any Set people to kill in day or night mode.

Actually no. There isn't any puzzle thinking at all. One boss you simply keep casting purge and refilling your jar so you can do so. The other boss you simply avoid a ground centered AoE. The werewolf boss you drag to the light. There isn't a single boss fight that requires more than a single brain cell to finish. They really did make it so anyone can finish this content, people who can't I would say are first time MMO players not used to MMO game mechanics.

That's why i put it "puzzles". Still the argument is valid, because even as you mention MMO mechanics...they are not universal or intuitive to anyone. Just try some of the new encounters with particles disabled...i remember the breach boss spike warning not even visible, so you needed help from others to realize the cause why you died suddenly. But once you knew what it was, you could watch the castbar and avoid the spikes even without particles. Of course you are right in a way that, once you know how funcom designs things, you have way less problems in general...watch 75,50,25% of health...watch LoS...and keep moving or break it with long casts. Sure maybe everyone can do it, but this does not say anything about the fun factor as well, but this might be a different matter.

Point is: People need to get off the high horses in MMOs or multiplayer games in general. Everything is easy, once you know how it is done. What is intuitive for you, is not intuitive for others.

You are right about the quest giver...but i prefer things not crowded around the tradehouses (but near traveller npcs is not much better). If only we had a minimap like in the old engine, that did show all "?" and not just those in close vicinity...

Most mmorpg games have universal truths. Do x during event a and y will happen allowing you to do z. It's a very redundant mechanic that any rpg uses at some point. Boss fights ate hardly tank and spank in most games, there is some tactic which must be used during the encounter to succeed. Aoc is not any different, and the only way you can't really do these quests on your own is if your not famaliar with rpgs and this is quite possibly your first mmo. Most gamers who are rpg players know to have their particles turned on, or at least global particles for visual cues. Like I said, only new gamers new to rpgs, or first time pc gamers could not know this.
    Last edited by Suctum; 27th October 2015 at 18:36.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by xdandeman View Post
    Try the Tarantia quest, hours later a Ranger can't kill the boss, Rangers can't heal self or shoot fast enough the dozens of adds, if you fall in the pool you cant get out and die from poisen.
    Isn't this the new one where you just hide behind the pillar when he does a big cast or something. I never saw dozens of adds or a pool with poison. The Set quest is just pretty much stay out of the storm circle things and pick up jars.
    Last edited by Xanzyx; 28th October 2015 at 23:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Beggar View Post
    You are talking about the "Festival of Set" Kill / Survive quests right?

How does theese work?...it says travel to the main island..and thats it.

I picked up the quests but cant find any Set people to kill in day or night mode.
    First u need to click on a boat.. In Khemi u will find Set people to kill.. Oh btw, someone will prob kill u aswell..

Quote Originally Posted by Xanzyx View Post
    Isn't this the new one where you just hide behind the pillar when he does a big cast or something. I never saw dozens of adds or a pool with poison. The Set quest is just pretty much stay out of the storm circle things and pick up jars.
    In this fight you have to keep moving. Being a ranger is actually better than assasin here, because you can easier hide behind the pillar. Moving, because of the skeletal bomb. Sure, if you ignore the adds, they get one more each "stage" (75, 50,25), but you can slay them while the boss makes long casts. As with the normal fight in this location (the lvl59 catacombs), just keep running around the pillars in the big room, there is noo need to enter the hallway with the water (so also no risk to lagport in there). And as ranged class there is also less risk to lag into the firepit. The main problem here is, to have enough health potions.

The final khemi fight sounds more like it...and it is not ranger friendly. There are aoe dot pools (which add up over time, making the area unkiteable) and he does not summon 1 add per stage but 2-3 and continously adds more. So you need to have a certain armor and dps threshhold and almost no chance without potions. It is a good example of a luckbased fight for some classes, because even if you do all according to "plan" as single dps, you can get messed up, depending on how fast you do damage or when and where the boss casts the poison pools (which you can not control when targetting the adds).
    My tactic there was to focus the boss and while he is at "stage" back at the door, try to kill as many adds as possible. Also there is an item you can use to boost yourself by killing the adds. The rest was running around and hitting the big boss.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 29th October 2015 at 07:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    There are aoe dot pools (which add up over time, making the area unkiteable) and...you need to have a certain armor and dps threshhold and almost no chance without potions.
    Not entirely true, the blue AoE circles of death have a placed limit of 3 I believe, so if and when he casts the 4th one the 1st one disappears etc. And you can still can kite through or around them, you just can't dilly-dally in them.

For the Khemi Halloween quest I always bring a full crate of all potion types needed per character, in addition to what I already have on hand, so I agree, without potions you are asking for trouble on some classes. I even bring a 5 stack of rare health pots (Potent Daggamalt) for those "Oh-crap-everything-that-could-go-wrong-did-go-wrong" moments.

My Ranger did a fair bit of bunny-hopping and I did curse a bit but I never did die. If you make use of all 3 traps, including Booby Trap on minion groups it makes it much easier.
    I also have Concussive Blast plus Pitch Pots feated for a combined group stun/AoE fire damage to further augment Booby Trap. I have the Crossfire AA but did not use it for this fight. I prefer Deadly Draw plus Clout at the moment.

On every toon I always initiate the same strategy, I always wait until there are 2 apprentices out before commencing the fight. I kill 1 right at the bosses feet and kill the other on the opposite side of "The Needle", so I can break LineofSight and also remove the mark and get my 2 minute buff back up on either side. Don't forget there is also an urn at the top of the staircase that can be a lifesaver when you need to get your buff back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast