Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arcanists or Reapers?

Default Arcanists or Reapers?

Basically all of the guides I have read on this forum or elsewhere (not much of an elsewhere existing these days) seem to agree that to maximize single target DPS the best ranged pet configuration for the Necromancer are four Reapers using this spec (or something very similar).

Now I did some testing on a straw man, and out of curiosity - I wanted to see how big the Reapers edge is - I ran the same spec with the same rotation but used four Arcanists instead. Now there is always a bit of variance involved in a 3 minute parse, even when you do several of them, but the result seemed to indicate that the Arcanists did at least as much, if not more DPS than the Reapers.

Possible reasons for this I could think of:
    - 'The Devourer' is not really increasing the total Reaper damage by 10%, but only affecting some sort of base spell damage of theirs.
    - The Arcanists apply a 5% spell damage buff not only to themselves but also to the caster. In sum this could match the Reapers 10% buff.
    - The Arcanists fire more rapidly, and as a result get more cabal procs. The log did confirm this, Cabal did 50% more damage when using Arcanists.

Should be noted: I did not spell weave during the tests, to keep another element of randomness (random pet deaths, how many Death God procs I get) out of the picture. But if anything, the Arcanist build should benefit more from spell weaving due to the 5% spell damage buff to the caster.

Has anyone of you noticed something similar? Why is the majority of necromancers still using Reapers in single target encounters? What am I missing?
    Last edited by Belatsunat; 15th October 2015 at 09:48.

I've always used Arcanists for Single Target. I believe Reapers draw less hate though. Blood Arcs for multiple targets.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Quote Originally Posted by Belatsunat View Post
    - The Arcanists fire more rapidly, and as a result get more cabal procs. The log did confirm this, Cabal did 50% more damage when using Arcanists.
    you pretty much answered yourself with just that line.

by the way all the info was in my stiky post with loads of parser links detailing ravings about necromancer facts, in wich i linked
    parsers of pets comparisons done on those guild city dummies clearly showing arcanists do more dps.
    http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5214/f7mr.png
    that is done on testlive on a aaless naked char, magnus is actualy shown to do a little bit more dps then arcanists but they crited 6% on that sample parse so i disreguarded that information given in most raids i tested different pets arcanists always proved better then magnus or any other mage pet.

i did it when i was a very active player with actual free time to test all that stuff, was ment for guild forum only, but decided to copy paste it on aocforum, i might update it at some point given some details arent as black and white as i posted and simply because i was indoctrinated to be thorough and not a dogmatic believer.

essencialy reapers hit harder especialy when you feat reaper wich increases damage by 10% you have no feats to individualy increase just arcanist pets
    but arcanists hit way more often hence cabal proc also hits more often influencing why arcanists outperform other pets.

cabal is another feat on the crap list doesnt seem to be afected by gear stats group buffs or any self buff on necro and staticaly varies doing 35/48 damage monotonously, also the damage increase if necro is under atack is barely noticeable if not plain laughable making that side efect irrelevant given its so low to seemingly non existant only way to increase its performance is by using arcanists because they hit more often.

arcanists bsd buff applies to the pets minimaly enhancing their base performance as buff fully stacks.

spellweaving buffs doesnt increase pets damage in anyway they just enhance necromancer damage exclusively

Has anyone of you noticed something similar? Why is the majority of necromancers still using Reapers in single target encounters? What am I missing?
    follow the sheep or do your own testing and conclusions.
    i always use a reaper pet build for soloplay with all ccs improved i only use reapers when im in a situation i feel safer with some extra heals like for example the group bosses achievements in atzel aproach i just used reapers to dot and kite those group bosses dead.
    very handy if your doing undermanned group bosses for fun like a couple weeks ago me on necro and moriala on guard did rare mode narvi boss in hoc lots of kitting involved.

most bosses ingame arent retarded with no magic mitigation where its only situation apart from entity where mage pets are relevant.
    melee pets are supreme they are retardedly buffed up by other classes providing necros who know how to play with supreme imbalanced single target dps even on lame ass bosses with no magic mitigation.
    http://s24.postimg.org/x2g688gid/dps.jpg
    you can probalitly do more then 4.1k dps with t5 gear and using arcanists or even despoil the soul hugging boss and hopping you dont get blooddraw to wipe raid trolololo
    do bear in mind when the whole raid is pulling their weight, note redartin in parse doing 1600 dps on his guard, bosses actualy die faster resulting in peak burst parsers who just show how idiotic bosses with no magic mitigation realy are with dts doing over 3k dps and ******** crap like that.
    Last edited by -tomhet-; 16th October 2015 at 00:12.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

I hope that more ppl will use Arcanists from now and they won't look oddly at my necro. Now sby should start a reminder thread about melee pets too, I see too much Lifestealers lately...
    Tainted Souls on Crom - Johara's Featplanner

Hushi (HoX) - Igne natura renovatur integra

I think the reason to use Lifestealers is their increased reach compared to other melee pets. So at bosses where it can become crowded - and you might have to recast them due to boss mechanics - they can be a viable choice. Strom would be an example for this.

I always use blighted ones on strom since they do most hits per second so I figured they have highest chance to eat an irritate.

Quote Originally Posted by Caudilloo View Post
    I always use blighted ones on strom since they do most hits per second so I figured they have highest chance to eat an irritate.
    you can probabily outdps everyone if you have a robot tos spamming blue heal on them for electric damage proc lol.
    but if you cant bribe a tos to do that whole raid best use mutilators+2 blighted for debuff
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

i did some more testing.

arcanists win again but something dodgy is happening, arcanists and reapers seem to have capped crits while magnus crit way harder then those other two despite that arcanists still win now imagine if arcanists and reapers would crit as hard as magnus would be realy cool, could have stumbled on yet another bug with necro lol
    feels like everytime i test something with necro i find a new one...
    http://s7.postimg.org/xidts4bjf/magepets.png
    tos and conq was in group to boost crit+crit damage and magic damage buffs from tos

but so its absolutly clear just how much tos influences your dps on melee pets here it is lol, also note that in cenario tos will be spamming blue heals all the the time on your pets and you have dt in group blighted ones seem to fair 100 ish more dps better from tos giving average 30 more dps from procs and 75ish from aura of dread fury wich basicaly does same dps as mutilations rank10 dot
    so they are equivalent damage so to say, but in raids i dont thing you will ever be paired up with a dt unless your raid uses a magic damage enhancing setup with dt/tos/pom/necro/demo/sin(boost bomb)
    wich isnt common most raids prefer to place guard+dt in same group with hox/demo.

http://s30.postimg.org/k0hec8kch/muti_blight.png
    http://s22.postimg.org/s6g8s6nup/blight.png

so if your in a dungeon group with a dt and blue heal spamming tos and its a fight tos can spam blue heal and idol all the time on your pets blighted win by roughly 100ish more dps from dt aura and tos.

overall ill stick to my usual setup 2 blighted and 6 mutilator given it takes very particular scenarios to make using 8 blighted ones worthwhile.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast