Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: customized waypoints

Default customized waypoints

Hi folks,

since I was bored of the loads of ugly grey dots on my maps, I started digging a bit into the waypoints and wanted to share my findings:
    one actually can change the icon for it and it has some possible tooltip as well...

here's what I did so far for Northern Grasslands:

it's quite some work - a.t.m. I'm only using already existing images, but this probably could be custom images as well

one drawback though, which is quite annoying: whenever you delete (and prob. also create new) waypoints via the map in game, all the customized icons are gone, deleted from the xml :-/

if you want to try this out yourself:

Northern Grasslands
    Field of the Dead

- you need to save those files there: C:\Users\<your windows user name>\AppData\Local\Funcom\Conan\Prefs\<your AoC account name>\Waypoints
    - if you don't have that folder, chances are that you never created a waypoint
    - if there already is a file with that name, maybe open the two ("my" version and "yours") in a text editor and merge their contents...

tell me what you think :-)

/Yorgo

/updates as the thread progresses...

this is a screenshot of how the customized icons in Field of the Dead look a.t.m.:

(end of historical content...)

Latest Version
    get it here (needs aoc.exe - see instructions below): download

Highlights:
    - All areas covered!
    - contains all WPs I found for the following (along with selfmade* custom icons):
    treasure chest
    panorama
    bane of ... achievement target
    target of interest
    leap of faith
    excavator achievement
    shrine (forgotten gods)
    racing start/finish
    milestones
    open raid (Golem)
    Jiang Shi symbols
    few hard-to-find questmarkers
    - colored tooltips/map labels
    - does not interfere with custom waypoints
    - most of the items reveal detailed information upon mouse-over'ing (e.g. the number of the treasure, which bane-of-xxx this target belongs to)
    - some items have no (treasure) or limited (excavator, target of interest) name in close-up zoom - just mouse-over it

*) selfmade icons meaning: I explicitly looked for non-copyrighted/free-to-use source images, then I basically rescaled/polished them to look nice...
    - the panorama icon actually is my very own creation - source material was a self-made screenshot

Remarks:
    - the information at the bginning of this starter post is a bit outdated, so are the screenshots; I nevertheless keep it as it is, so you can follow the progression of this work...
    - the download link will always get you the latest version, please only use this one

Installation:
    - create the following directory, if not already present: <AoC installation path>\Data\Gui\Aoc
    - extract the content of the download archive from above into that directory (so you have "<aoc inst.>\Data\Gui\Aoc\Yorgomir WP\...")
    - download aoc.exe 1.0.0.106 -> click (you need this version or later for some waypoints to work properly)
    - run aoc.exe as Administrator
    - run Age of Conan

Updated Screenshots:
    Last edited by Yorgomir; 26th March 2017 at 12:04.

omg its exactly what i needed. after they added a tons of new 'rare' bosses I completely panicked by a lot of gray dots would cover my map
    and I hope applying customized icons also possible maybe related with custom uis?? just a wild guess
    the who obsessed with stonesoup ;p

Looks neat! Thanks for sharing it

how to create same files from other zones?
    Last edited by Slith; 4th August 2015 at 11:46.
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    Looks neat! Thanks for sharing it

how to create same files from other zones?
    Just study the file he provided and check what he did or wait until he actually provides the necessary information .
    Fass
    Professional northmen slayer of saga
    {Circle of Eternity}

unfortunately it seems not to work with customized icons
    - only icons within "Gui\Default\gfx" are displayed but not from "Gui\Customized\gfx" as it should be...

/update
    well it works, only need to specify the path to the customized icon a bit more explicit, like: normal_bitmap="../../Customized/gfx/..."

Quote Originally Posted by Fass View Post
    Just study the file he provided and check what he did or wait until he actually provides the necessary information .
    hehe, just doing this now:

only thing I really did was adding normal_bitmap="<path to icon, relative to [Age of Conan install directory]\Data\Gui\Default\gfx>" to the waypoints I wanted to look different

and if you want a 2-line description, just fill-in the tooltip_text="" tag, as it's already there...

plus:
    if you have overlapping icons, you have to give the icons the correct instance="..." number, they are rendered in order of ascending numbers; i.e. higher instance icons are drawn over those with lower numbers
    - in other words: the bigger the icons are, the lower should their instance number be...
    Last edited by Yorgomir; 4th August 2015 at 12:35.

but the xml file is created by AOC in the folder when I add first in-game point on the map?
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    but the xml file is created by AOC in the folder when I add first in-game point on the map?
    I think so, yeah

have a bunch of those xml files in that folder actually, not sure if only for the maps I did create waypoints in or just for all...

/update: actually there is no "empty" xml in that appdata folder, seems I was kinda busy adding waypoints just everywhere

my best guess would be to add one single waypoint via the in-game map and see what has been created

/update #2: just tested this on my f2p account where I also did not have the Waypoints directory - works just fine if you create the directory manually and copy that one xml into
    Last edited by Yorgomir; 4th August 2015 at 16:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorgomir View Post
    one drawback though, which is quite annoying: whenever you delete (and prob. also create new) waypoints via the map in game, all the customized icons are gone, deleted from the xml :-/
    Have you tried to set the file on "read only" ?

It should prevent us to create any new WP though ^^
    But if you create ALL the WP of all maps it shouldn't be a problem. That said, It might take quite a while hehe

good luck! very good work

PS: Lehudib, if Yorgomir is able to create WP for all maps, it should be easy for UI creators to propose several sets of icons
    Last edited by MisterClean; 4th August 2015 at 19:56.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast