Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yeah, I See The Issue With Jumping

I'm with the OP on this matter.

Retards jumping all over the place looks ridiculous, and it does indeed break my immersion, like some players who insist on their avatar looking completely wrong, with messed up faces, proportions and outfit.
    And to the people who would argue that one does whatever they want, just look at the witcher 3, would anyone play that master piece if Geralt and the main characters looked like disproportionate clowns ? I bet not.

Now in PvP, sure, it's sad that jumping all the time is a necessity, but well, it is how it is. In PvE though, if i see anyone in my group/raid doing that, i just kick the guy right away. I will not stand random clowns making my game look bad. It's already an insult to have to stand the sight of those clowns when passing by Khemi.

I really wish AoC was more stable and one could not jump aroud to abuse the desynch and latency. I also wish jumping would consume stamina, mana and energy in significant amounts, that, would be grand.
    {Circle of Eternity}
    Mellaus
    Lachdanann dt | Aldebarrand guard | Ataraxes demo | Tangorogrim tos | Aranruth barb | Demether pom | Errant ranger | Diluvien sin | Hekatomb necro | Haemmer bs | Nyarlathotep tos

Quote Originally Posted by ckirmser View Post
    Snippy responses aside, I don't care if they look silly or not; that's their issue. I simply noted that it looks ridiculous. They want to look ridiculous? Fine by me, but it doesn't change my opinion.
    Some would say you look ridiculous yourself....I mean starting a thread on the forums to b*tch and get butthurt about people who are jumping around in khemi while they wait for a mini or a group to fill.....seriously?

Lightbulb

I think server should generate a separate instance for each player by default (Except hubs).

goddam the amount of Edit by Anzu: No. in this thread, of all the things you can complain about... you get your panties in a twist cause somebody presses his space bar one too many times
    Last edited by Anzu; 8th July 2015 at 11:19.
    mechanno says no

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    In PvE though, if i see anyone in my group/raid doing that, i just kick the guy right away.
    Although I don't care if someone does it in open world or in a non fight situation, it really pisses me of if someone does it in a pve fight without purpose (not doubletab, just jumping up and down). Perhaps I'm too old school, but jumping in a fight used to be some kind of communication. If someone jumps in a raid he needs attention, as a tank a hardspot or big heal, or he wants to show someone he stands on the wrong spot, or give a signale to everyone where to stand and so on.
    Espacially tanks jumping around without any reason are just plain bad players in my opinion. If you are not on voice com jumping can be used to communicate, and good players use it for that.

Yeah, I know many raidleader who often use jumping as a signal to mean it's time to stop DPSing. Like, everybody has to stop making dmg. Or used by tanks to mean they want aggro swap.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Darm View Post
    Some would say you look ridiculous yourself....I mean starting a thread on the forums to b*tch and get butthurt about people who are jumping around in khemi while they wait for a mini or a group to fill.....seriously?
    Some might, but so what?

You seem to have a problem with my expressing an opinion, to the point of deliberately misrepresenting what I posted. All I can say to that is, get over it.

If someone could post a clip from a Conan or Conan-like movie that has the actors jumping around like rabbits on speed, that'd be great. Or, maybe a snippet from a Conan story describing how Conan, in a fit of boredom, took to jumping and running all over the town square, lunging and slashing at the thin air like a mad man, that'd be helpful.

Aside from that, this is not unique to AoC. I see the same thing on LotRO. But, there, it's even sillier since that game us chock full of unrealistic garish armor and weapons.

What you seem to forget is that there's plenty of people are playing just for the fun, the challenge, or because they want a good MMO, and doesn't give a damn about the RP, the seriousness, or "how it looks like in the books or movies".

Do I think it looks silly ? Yeah, does it break immersion ? Maybe a bit, but I saw that so many times in so many games I don't care anymore. But do I hold grudge against people who do or do I think it's a problem ? Hell no, I understand that people play for different reason, and that they don't care about that kind of concern, and it's their right to do so. The same way sometime people would like to name their character "Vader-Roxxxor_84" if they could, even if it doesn't fit the game at all and even if it sounds ridiculous to me.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ckirmser View Post
    All I can say to that is, get over it.
    Haha, have you ever heard of the story where the pot calls the kettle black?

Ah that's where you are from, realism. Really? People do start something like that about a MMO? In real life if someone hits me with a blade I don't loose HP, I loose an arm or leg...so please, don't go there. Seriously.

Jumping is a necessary feature in an open world game, otherwise every little stick or rock on the ground would block your path (like in older RPGs, where you are bound to the ground and can't even cross the tiniest walls), let's talk about immersion here. In AoC jumping is a fundamental substructure of how toons move and how the world is build. There are many places you can not reach without jumping.

I don't get the whole "What other people do is annoying me"-thing anyway (from a RP perspective). I don't play to be other peoples decoration in a rp-environment, I play to have fun. And I don't espect other people to be a decoration for my experience. On a pve-server they can do nothing to harm me or ruin my game, and getting mad about what they do or how they move....god, if I would let that influnece my mood I would be a very depressed person. And I can't help but think about what a pedantic and small-minded person someone must be in real life if he complains about what other people do in a game (again, not talking about fighting situations).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast