Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A question about Soldier talents

Default A question about Soldier talents

How good are lifesaver, Counterstrike stance and retaliation(? -> upgrade of CS stance) for levelling a Guardian? I basically expect to get hit far more than I'll hit. So, if I add up guard with CS stance and retaliation while mega buffing survivability via recovery and Toughness + pot(maybe even Iron skin{Armour buff})...that should work.

So, how good are they(CS stance, retaliation, lifesaver)? Do CS stance + retaliation add up to dmg of guard(or more)? Do they scale(I saw some other shits that don't scale here, quite clearly an oversight on the part of Funcom)? Likewise, does lifesaver add up to at least hp regen increase of Toughness? Even better would be if it added up to the hp regen of summed Toughness and recovery, but meh .

Quote Originally Posted by Nehkur View Post
    How good are lifesaver, Counterstrike stance and retaliation(? -> upgrade of CS stance) for levelling a Guardian? I basically expect to get hit far more than I'll hit. So, if I add up guard with CS stance and retaliation while mega buffing survivability via recovery and Toughness + pot(maybe even Iron skin{Armour buff})...that should work.

So, how good are they(CS stance, retaliation, lifesaver)? Do CS stance + retaliation add up to dmg of guard(or more)? Do they scale(I saw some other shits that don't scale here, quite clearly an oversight on the part of Funcom)? Likewise, does lifesaver add up to at least hp regen increase of Toughness? Even better would be if it added up to the hp regen of summed Toughness and recovery, but meh .
    Counterstrike stance and Anticipation are trash. They only scale with weapon damage and with a 151 dps 2h they hit for like 50-100.

Lifesaver is a very tiny amount of natural health regen, whatever the number is how much health you'll get back every 4 seconds. Good health pots heal more and those points are better spent elsewhere.

If youre going that deep in General, go for imp frenzy and sustained rage and use a polearm.
    I don't make points I make dents.

Quote Originally Posted by Unutterable View Post
    Counterstrike stance and Anticipation are trash. They only scale with weapon damage and with a 151 dps 2h they hit for like 50-100.

Lifesaver is a very tiny amount of natural health regen, whatever the number is how much health you'll get back every 4 seconds. Good health pots heal more and those points are better spent elsewhere.

If youre going that deep in General, go for imp frenzy and sustained rage and use a polearm.
    I don't want to use frenzy stance. If I wanted to play like that, I'd have rolled a barb instead of a soldier.

Shame about those talents being trash. They could help and help Guardian especially while levelling. Polearm, guard(it's a polearm combo), huge survivability, reflective dmg...it was too good to be true, yes.

How much does guard (combo) hit with a 151 DPS weapon?

Edit: Why don't they Buff polearm? Oh right...they're too busy with the obvious trash(tm). They have Conan IP and they focus on that marijuana/heroin dream? Wtf!

Edit edit: They could also make it so frenzy stance multiplies your Armour with 0,5(0,66) instead of subtracting 50%(!)/33% from your DR. Stupid game design(level 30 frenzy stance survivability: less than assassin with mediocre dmg lol!)
    Last edited by Nehkur; 1st June 2015 at 22:31.

You cant really ignore frenzy stance, even you are playing sword&board.
    The mechanics of sword&board is all about stacking CS in defensive before revamp, let all melee mob kill themselves.
    It is great to use guard with CS to do retribution dmg together, when you see mob at like 25%hp you go frenzy to finish them off.
    But CS was revamped, now you just need to put one CS on a mob and it give you heal per hit taken, so s&b can actually handle more mobs then pole arm.
    Henryx Guardian
    Henryau Pom
    Henryz Barb
    Henryuki Hox
    Henryn Necro
    Crom
    - Henryx Age of Conan Youtube -
    - Henryx Age of Conan Blog -

Quote Originally Posted by henryabccba View Post
    You cant really ignore frenzy stance, even you are playing sword&board.
    The mechanics of sword&board is all about stacking CS in defensive before revamp, let all melee mob kill themselves.
    It is great to use guard with CS to do retribution dmg together, when you see mob at like 25%hp you go frenzy to finish them off.
    But CS was revamped, now you just need to put one CS on a mob and it give you heal per hit taken, so s&b can actually handle more mobs then pole arm.
    CS as a skill from shield or CS stance? Or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Nehkur View Post
    CS as a skill from shield or CS stance? Or both?
    CS stance dmg is tiny, dont use it
    Henryx Guardian
    Henryau Pom
    Henryz Barb
    Henryuki Hox
    Henryn Necro
    Crom
    - Henryx Age of Conan Youtube -
    - Henryx Age of Conan Blog -

Quote Originally Posted by henryabccba View Post
    CS stance dmg is tiny, dont use it
    I get it. But so are DoTs and they do add up. It's not like I expect huge dmg on a guard anyhow. Of a burst nature, that is. Sustained? Well...that's whole another discussion. I love Guardian precisely because of its invulnerable/retaliatory nature.

It doesn't hurt to try. I'll lose what? 3dps(maybe 5) and 50c at the worst. At the best

Don't play Guardian.

It's a trash class for vast majority of game except maybe Emperor (T4), Louhi/Thoth(T3) and T5(Guards reasonably useful here). In 6mans, you'll get constantly denied aggro (it becomes 5 man effectively, since as a guard you're not even doing too much DPS) and the crappy CtA and things are not worth it if you can just replace the guard with a pure DPS (although AoE spell effects; CtA/battlecry is pretty decent).

The developers are trying to balance classes out but it's hard for them since the game is so small and players finnicky of getting 'nerfed'. So, if you are not full into your guard yet, try to start a conqueror (excellent DPS, useful low CD bubbles, and most of all only in-combat rezz in game) or DT (the actual Main Tank of game).

P.S. Don't let anyone else babble anything else to you. I probably have the most hours on Guardian in the game and have been playing it since 2009, it was very powerful class at start then slowly all the power was taken away over the years and now it's junk class. People always try to defend Guardians in this forum but when I meet them in-game on their guard they're aggro is junk and they really don't know how to play it... yet they say it's "best main-tank class". So, overall stay far far away from this class

the retaliation stance or whatever is it called in general is nearly useless - since i checked it quite recently - its does max 10-15+ or smth damage at lvl 80 - so its not even noticable but yes retaliation stuff is kind of nice on guard - you got counterstrike and guard combos - which are lethal for mobs if used properly - you basicly switch to s&b pop in cs and than to polearm and use guard - i managed to kill like 8-10 mobs even while leveling my guard - those were mine or even higher lvl

about minor heal that is with CS - it is there but you have to be lvl 70 first to get it - since its tied up to juggernaut feat - which is very nice on its own - and than while you have it you can get back some haps while doing retaliatory strikes from CS - its not much but always something

so yes imo while doing solo stuff - the retaliation mechanics on Guard class can be worthwhile to invest in - but on other hand you have Storm Strike in polearm feat tree - which imo is much more powerfull - often bursts with reckoning for 4-5k, but i agree that mentioned stuff by OP is something interesting for sure
    Your Slam critically slashes Lozig for 2813.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarios View Post
    Don't play Guardian.

It's a trash class for vast majority of game except maybe Emperor (T4), Louhi/Thoth(T3) and T5(Guards reasonably useful here). In 6mans, you'll get constantly denied aggro (it becomes 5 man effectively, since as a guard you're not even doing too much DPS) and the crappy CtA and things are not worth it if you can just replace the guard with a pure DPS (although AoE spell effects; CtA/battlecry is pretty decent).

The developers are trying to balance classes out but it's hard for them since the game is so small and players finnicky of getting 'nerfed'. So, if you are not full into your guard yet, try to start a conqueror (excellent DPS, useful low CD bubbles, and most of all only in-combat rezz in game) or DT (the actual Main Tank of game).

P.S. Don't let anyone else babble anything else to you. I probably have the most hours on Guardian in the game and have been playing it since 2009, it was very powerful class at start then slowly all the power was taken away over the years and now it's junk class. People always try to defend Guardians in this forum but when I meet them in-game on their guard they're aggro is junk and they really don't know how to play it... yet they say it's "best main-tank class". So, overall stay far far away from this class
    i dont agree at all - first what this guy seems some pve wannabe only, guard imo got it all - bursts, ccs, buffs, survivalability and cc immus, and it pve case from what i heard and did i know its damn hard to take agrro from well played guard

DT isnt certainly a main tank since he cant do it on versatile basis on his own - need for example mana tap for sure - which he havent got much on his own, also he havent got any bubble just pet which is pretty much stupidest thing in game - DT is for noobs and wannabies

Conq yes he is strong but nowwhere near as guard, you said he is nice dps ok yes but he cant be tanky too much while at it, also conq is boring - so stupid class mechanics that could be only at him that exist in game - you may say he is still good - but its boring!
    Your Slam critically slashes Lozig for 2813.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast