Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return to Game and cannot access an expansion pack I bought and paid for

Default Return to Game and cannot access an expansion pack I bought and paid for

So please explain to me legally how I can purchase an expansion pack, Rise of the Godslayer, and upon returning to the game under F2P find access denied to me to content which I paid to access.

If a subscription is required to access this content, please explain what the initial payment was actually for?

Quote Originally Posted by Anselan View Post
    So please explain to me legally how I can purchase an expansion pack, Rise of the Godslayer, and upon returning to the game under F2P find access denied to me to content which I paid to access.

If a subscription is required to access this content, please explain what the initial payment was actually for?
    That's how subscription models work. But I guess you weren't asking a question anyway.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Have you ever heard of a game called World of Warcraft? Can you believe their gal that they force you to buy the game, and you have to pay again for each expansion that comes out. And on top of all that, you have to pay a subscription fee to even play the game or any of the expansions which you bought.

Aoc is f2p, rise of the godslayer is not. And like aoc before going f2p and like every other mmo in game history thats neither f2p nor b2p the initial purchase isnt enough to play it after the initial playtime is over.

Aoc is f2p, rise of the godslayer is not. And like aoc before going f2p and like every other mmo in game history thats neither f2p nor b2p the initial purchase isnt enough to play it after the initial playtime is over.
    RotGS was release before the f2p model, that's one thing. So that made total sense at the time, it was perfectly in line with every other sub-based mmo at the time. Second, they can set up whatever market model they want for their expansion. It's a big expansion pack that require the subscriptions to play, like many other expansion pack in other MMO. (Burning crusade for WoW, or whatever). It's not really something new. The fact they decided to put base-game for free to play doesn't change that.

Also, base-game ALSO have things locked if you aren't subbed. (T2 / T3 raid, for instance, that are available only with a subscription). Therefore, RotGS is in line with that kind of model.

I mean you can pest about the sub model and it's your right to think and say its sucks, but as Rathothis said, it's how it works and it's not a surprise at all. So yeah, acting like it was a scandal is a false problem, you should have know it damn well, because it's like written all over the definition of the sub.
    Last edited by Jaedelyia; 6th May 2015 at 15:08.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

When I bought RotGS I was F2P, having never subbed to AoC. It worked fine, even gave me the 60-day premium access - though, it did take a little time to get it working.

When the time ran out, I was returned to F2P, but retained Khitain access, my Khitain characters and the ability to create Khitain characters - all without paying an extra cent.

I have since decided to sub for a while, not only for the additional character slots, but to pay a little something towards a product that is very entertaining.

hey,

well rotgs is kind of different thing - cos you have also turan expac which is b2p no matter what - means you buy it once and you have access to it forever - but rotgs was kind of flag & core game expac which is tied up to vast parts of the game - and yes while you havent got access to rotgs areas while beign f2p you can still have use and further expand the AA system while beign f2p - so it has some cons as well as some pros - no matter what imo if you really want to have best experience from game there will be premium subscriptions offers soon - since game will have its anniversary - so its good time i believe to get some - at least i will be doing so since im running out on my premka

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    Have you ever heard of a game called World of Warcraft? Can you believe their gal that they force you to buy the game, and you have to pay again for each expansion that comes out. And on top of all that, you have to pay a subscription fee to even play the game or any of the expansions which you bought.

I knew this would invite the usual fanboys Edit by Anzu: No need for that.

When I last played I, like many others, bought the original game on release, paid a subscription and then bought the expansion pack and paid a subscription until the F2P model came in.

Funcom market the game as F2P now, however given the core content is in the expansion, to request a subscription to this is disingenuous and poor customer service. A B2P model would be much more apt, with those who had purchased the expansion receiving this service as part of the sale and thus rewarding those who already paid and supported the game.

WoW is actually continually worked upon and updated, the subscription and payment for expansion packs is more than justified as the game receives full attention from it's company. Asking people to pay subscription fees to access what is essentially the meat of the game in a title which receives almost no developer input is incredibly poor management.
    Last edited by Anzu; 6th May 2015 at 17:07.

WoW is actually continually worked upon and updated, the subscription and payment for expansion packs is more than justified as the game receives full attention from it's company. Asking people to pay subscription fees to access what is essentially the meat of the game in a title which receives almost no developer input is incredibly poor management.
    Sure, but noone forced you to return.

You can criticize AoC's FtP model for not doing the job of maximising population ceteris paribus (i.e., assuming that otherwise, FC continue to do nada for the game). I've done that in several threads. But claiming that you suddenly have some kind of moral right to access RotGS, which you never were promised when you purchased it, is downright silly.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

I knew this would invite the usual fanboys Edit by Anzu: No need for that.

When I last played I, like many others, bought the original game on release, paid a subscription and then bought the expansion pack and paid a subscription until the F2P model came in.

Funcom market the game as F2P now, however given the core content is in the expansion, to request a subscription to this is disingenuous and poor customer service. A B2P model would be much more apt, with those who had purchased the expansion receiving this service as part of the sale and thus rewarding those who already paid and supported the game.

It may be poor management, but given that it's funcom, are you really surprised?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast