Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which T4 set is better for tanking?

Default which T4 set is better for tanking?

Hi, I intend to get this pieces for my conq do you think are the best choice?

head:indomitable
    chest:fearless
    pants:fearless
    shoulders:courageous
    wrists:courageous
    belt:indomitable
    gloves:indomitable
    boots:indomitable

I always thought that conqs get more agro from dps and critic chance than hate but lately i've seen a lot of conq going arround with courageous sets and now I have doubts.
    Last edited by xiulo88; 22nd April 2015 at 08:39.
    -> DT:Stiraqvcrn; Necro:Munyidora; ToS:Stiraqvaa; Guard:Stirameco; BS: Stiraqcanya, ...

If you see one Stira wipeing a group or a raid Its me

Quote Originally Posted by xiulo88 View Post

I always thought that conqs get more agro from dps and critic chance than hate but lately i've seen a lot of conq going arround with courageous sets and now I have doubts.
    Fearless main pieces all the way. For every soldier, for every fight, all the time.

Unless you want to be one of those people that play their soldier as dps. Don't get any soldier tears in that case, delete conq and make real dps class and leave the soldier tears for the tanks.

Ps. If you bother looking trough guard/dt forums a bit I'm pretty sure this discussion has been had a couple dozen times over the last few years.

Going courageous big pieces on a conq for anything but vanity and like one or two fights in the game is a big waste, the miniscule hate increase and slightly higher armor/con doesn't come close to make up for the lack of crit. But even if courageous big pieces gave you the same aggro as fearless/indomitable, you still shouldn't go for it since actually doing dps as a tank is valuable as well (there's a big difference between the conq who does 1k+ dps most fights and the one who does 600). Tbh I don't even like courageous big pieces on guards for the same reason.

Indomitable legs and chest aren't worth considering either. They are inferior in tanking to fearless equivalents, and getting indomitable for your dps spec isn't worth the effort since it's barely better than tigers. Imo the only real big piece choices is fearless legs/chest and either indomitable or fearless head.

As for small pieces, as you seem to know the indomitable gloves and boots are very good (fearless ones are worth getting too for prot fights however). There isn't much difference on the shoulders and wrists between the sets, I went with fearless on both for the sake of convenience. Personally I prefer the courageous belt since it has a slight armor/con edge on the others. Remember that small amounts of combat rating (like what the small pieces give) don't make much of a difference at all, so indomitable pieces are only worth it where they don't give considerably less armor/con than their full plate counterparts.

Indom conqs seems to be okay for tanking, since it may be the lightest soldier set but it's still pretty tanky.
    Only thing it lacks is protection.

Quote Originally Posted by xiulo88 View Post

If you have Black Dragon kit, I'd go for full Indomitable. It offers enough mitigation and health imo. Courageous wrist/shoulder is tricky to choose between. When I'm in doubt, I go for the item with more dps on it.

If you don't have Black Dragon kit, go for that list you wrote there, but also get the full Fearless set.

Quote Originally Posted by Caudilloo View Post
    Fearless main pieces all the way. For every soldier, for every fight, all the time.

Unless you want to be one of those people that play their soldier as dps. Don't get any soldier tears in that case, delete conq and make real dps class and leave the soldier tears for the tanks.

Ps. If you bother looking trough guard/dt forums a bit I'm pretty sure this discussion has been had a couple dozen times over the last few years.
    This.

Major pieces should all be fearless.
    Courageous wrist and bracers.
    Indom boots/belt/gloves.

I always found Indom major pieces were basically worse in every way to Fearless as far as tanking goes - less hate and less mitigation. I was always a little bitter that I went Indom first for them because they really are just awful as major pieces are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Boesch View Post
    This.

Indom boots/belt/gloves.

I always found Indom major pieces were basically worse in every way to Fearless as far as tanking goes - less hate and less mitigation. I was always a little bitter that I went Indom first for them because they really are just awful as major pieces are concerned.
    Can you provide any explanation for the indomitable belt choice? It's not the first time I see that recommendation, but I don't get it at all. Among the belts, courageous seems to me the best choice. By my calculations, going for indomitable belt over courageous makes you lose 68 armor, 38 constitution and 2,5 natural health regen, while you gain 176 combat rating, 15 hit rating (negligible effect when you're in t4 gear imo), and 15 crit damage rating. Small differences perhaps, but combat rating just barely matters when tanking it feels like to me, while more constitution is always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Boesch View Post
    This.

Indom boots/belt/gloves.

I see no reason to not consider Indomitable helm over Fearless helm. It's got more dps, hit and crit than the Fearless, and just 63 less armor and 40 less health. That 126 protection isn't a dealbreaker in my opinion, and with Indomitable you get the benefit of not walking around with a cock on the head. In protection fights I rather wear the http://static.is-better-than.tv/armo...len_empire.jpg and I have no intentions of getting the Fearless sybian helmet. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Greyloins View Post
    Can you provide any explanation for the indomitable belt choice? It's not the first time I see that recommendation, but I don't get it at all. Among the belts, courageous seems to me the best choice. By my calculations, going for indomitable belt over courageous makes you lose 68 armor, 38 constitution and 2,5 natural health regen, while you gain 176 combat rating, 15 hit rating (negligible effect when you're in t4 gear imo), and 15 crit damage rating. Small differences perhaps, but combat rating just barely matters when tanking it feels like to me, while more constitution is always nice.
    I'm a big fan of the courageous belt + and the boots and it is a huge benefit to have them. But if I were to take one first it would be the indomitable set simply because it is maximum aggro and with fearless majors/courageous wrists/bracers you are going to be tough enough for any encounter. When you want that little bit of extra survivability you can swap to the courageous. Ultimately though you'll want both sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    I see no reason to not consider Indomitable helm over Fearless helm. It's got more dps, hit and crit than the Fearless, and just 63 less armor and 40 less health. That 126 protection isn't a dealbreaker in my opinion, and with Indomitable you get the benefit of not walking around with a cock on the head. In protection fights I rather wear the http://static.is-better-than.tv/armo...len_empire.jpg and I have no intentions of getting the Fearless sybian helmet. :P
    It's got hate which is why I rather it over the indomitable helm. The DPS is something pretty minor when you're 1000-1200 DPS (or higher) that doesn't matter but hate as a force multiplier is much better. The extra hit rating is pretty insignificant when you're well into a T4 set so I would rather aim for the big picture than pick something which (I believe) is inferior. As far as the cock helmet goes they are all terrible!

As a final point the reason I am recommending everything that has either hate or DPS versus survivability is to me fairly simple. A tank that can't get aggro might as well just be traded out for a DPS class who can do more damage. A tank needs to be able to effectively trade and have enough aggro to be confident that they can take it when necessary and step back out of the rotation too. Survivability in a raid is a secondary factor - there is no point in rocking 20,000 health by stacking con on all your items if you can't save your tanks so they die, you can't save the DPS so they are next and you are left to try and solo the boss yourself. So for me - max aggro, all the way, and playstyle + knowledge is infinitely better than a bundle of health.
    Last edited by Boesch; 23rd April 2015 at 12:36.

If anyone thinks 9 crit and less then 250 combat rating is better then 28 hate for tanking purposes, I don't think that person should be giving advice in a soldier forum about T4 gear.

You would even be better off using the fallen empire or LL or Ardashir Fort helm in stead of indomitable for tanking purposes.

I would only consider using indomitable in a time trial where every little bit of dps is relevant and a conq is usually only offtanking.
    Last edited by Caudilloo; 23rd April 2015 at 14:21.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast