Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: World Bosses: collated data.

Something worth noting is that the current WB can be CC'd. Currently this boss needs no tanks whatsoever and the only casts that matter are Swirling Sands and Sandstorm.

So long as people CC those casts, he's basically useless.

I imagine that's going to be fixed soon.

Why is this ugly giant made of sand wearing nothing but bracers better than last years Oldblood which actually looked good?
    EvitoQQ @ YouTube
    THE IVORY TOWER - QQ - Schlenkerla/Hersch

Quote Originally Posted by Evito View Post
    Why is this ugly giant made of sand wearing nothing but bracers better than last years Oldblood which actually looked good?
    I wonder about this too. They were removed because 'unpopular' which I don't believe for a second. There is no reason whatsoever why this boss would be more popular in any way then the previous boss in dragon spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Caudilloo View Post
    I wonder about this too. They were removed because 'unpopular' which I don't believe for a second. There is no reason whatsoever why this boss would be more popular in any way then the previous boss in dragon spine.
    I believe this to be an other example of FunCom not understanding their players.

As a player I like to have mechanics that requier thinking/acting (Nothing wrong with Basilisk ... except some fool kiting it to the entrance at Chosain).
    For some classes/players these mechanics can be anoying and they start venting and ranting, nothing wrong with that but FunCom should ignore it.

What I as a player dislaike:
    Long waiting times because of too many instances (only 1 zone spawning boss like Dragon Spine).
    Creating bottle-necks between boss and rezzpad like last year in Wild Lands(hopefully fixed this year so no fool can park his mammoth on the bridge!).
    Area stunning through social items (Already fixed)
    Empty loot boxes because of bad loottables. (Bad fix .... removing pots from loottables)
    Xiuhcoatl, Xipil, Udiya, Zhoerong lvl 80 HoXes .... multi-speccing?
    Gorgophone lvl 80 Barb, Kheiron lvl 80 PoM (Heal?), Uruloki lvl 80 Demo (Nub), Berenike lvl 80 Conq (retired.) All raised on Hyrkania RP-PVE (R.I.P.) server.

[undisclosed] lvl 80 HoX (!), Marbhaisgort lvl 80 Necro (fresh), Chahwuk (ToS)/Merav(Necro) lvl5x (for when I get to do Purist-achievements) Cromites.

Membership valid until 2018-03-16 20:02:55 Got tricked again 2015-12-14

Quote Originally Posted by HaremBunny View Post
    I believe this to be an other example of FunCom not understanding their players.

Long waiting times because of too many instances (only 1 zone spawning boss like Dragon Spine).
    Creating bottle-necks between boss and rezzpad like last year in Wild Lands(hopefully fixed this year so no fool can park his mammoth on the bridge!).
    Area stunning through social items (Already fixed)
    Empty loot boxes because of bad loottables. (Bad fix .... removing pots from loottables)
    Funcom should never ignore criticism about mechanics. It all depends on situation, setup and fairness of the script. If the "thinking" just means "guessing" what the devs thought would be ideal behaviour, then i do not like it. If you can avoid certain things by player behaviour (and not just one way here), then it is a good thing. Also if players can figure out the mechanics by playing and observing, not by doing illogical things. This is a matter of hints and feedback to the player. I always compare it with good and bad point and click adventures.

Concerning world bosses i only dislike mechanicwise, that the build and player choices do not matter, because the boss is immune to ccs (as people are used to already) but also dashes out unavoidable ccs (you can not break most of them...i tested it with excellent balance (worthless there), AA cc breaker (not working) etc.). All this can only be there to force players into a schedule, which imo is not the right design choice for such content (but this might be subjective).

Also i disagree about the long wait times through many instances, because afaik this is simply wrong statistically and mathematically. One instance, you have the 45 minutes respawn in all cases. With more instances you have the same maximum number of waiting time, but also a chance to get a boss to pop up sooner, so the more instances the better (unless pop is too thinned out to even kill the boss). But maybe you meant this, too?

Otherwise i agree with the rest.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 5th March 2015 at 08:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Caudilloo View Post
    That might be a misunderstanding from Funcom. They have the numbers, they saw that less people did the Serpentman WB so they conclude the boss was unpopular and they changed it. Truth is that the boss in itself might have been perfectly fine. It's just that its in DragonSpine, which is (i) not very low-level friendly, (ii) far away from everything, and (iii) not FTP friendly. That might explain why less player were fighting it. I don't remember the Serpentman Oldblood to be annoying like the Yakhmar-like WB and his neverending KB was. Cynara's blog mention that he was dying faster than other bosses but that's about it.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and maybe Funcom had very good hidden reasons to remove it.

Anyway, I like bosses with some gimmick mechanism like the Basilik, for instance.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    Funcom should never ignore criticism about mechanics. It all depends on situation, setup and fairness of the script. If the "thinking" just means "guessing" what the devs thought would be ideal behaviour, then i do not like it. If you can avoid certain things by player behaviour (and not just one way here), then it is a good thing. Also if players can figure out the mechanics by playing and observing, not by doing illogical things. This is a matter of hints and feedback to the player. I always compare it with good and bad point and click adventures.
    You are right, good criticsms should not be ignored.
    In all other cases the player should learn and adapt and not start whining.
    I could whine about running out of mana on my HoXes and needing pots because the fight takes to long.
    Simple solution 1) Use a Louhi (mana-drain) build. 2) Look for Idols of Set placed by ToSes, you should get some mana from them.

Concerning world bosses i only dislike mechanicwise, that the build and player choices do not matter, because the boss is immune to ccs (as people are used to already) but also dashes out unavoidable ccs (you can not break most of them...i tested it with excellent balance (worthless there), AA cc breaker (not working) etc.). All this can only be there to force players into a schedule, which imo is not the right design choice for such content (but this might be subjective).
    As long as mechanics don't oneshot a level 70 clothy wearing a mix of blue and green gear I don't think there is a problem.
    And the current boss can be chain CC'ed which is the other end of the spectrum.
    He only survives and takes time to kill because he has a shitload of HP. ... ... NOT

Also i disagree about the long wait times through many instances, because afaik this is simply wrong statistically and mathematically. One instance, you have the 45 minutes respawn in all cases. With more instances you have the same maximum number of waiting time, but also a chance to get a boss to pop up sooner, so the more instances the better (unless pop is too thinned out to even kill the boss). But maybe you meant this, too?

Otherwise i agree with the rest.
    And here we maybe have something to investigate.
    Are you sure the respawn time is 45 minutes?
    Afaik it used to be approx. 30 minutes on the previous bosses and they were also announced that way I think
    If the respawn time of this boss is indeed 45 minutes then we have something that FunCom should look in to.
    (And combined with the current mechanics makes it BOOOOOOOOORING )
    Xiuhcoatl, Xipil, Udiya, Zhoerong lvl 80 HoXes .... multi-speccing?
    Gorgophone lvl 80 Barb, Kheiron lvl 80 PoM (Heal?), Uruloki lvl 80 Demo (Nub), Berenike lvl 80 Conq (retired.) All raised on Hyrkania RP-PVE (R.I.P.) server.

[undisclosed] lvl 80 HoX (!), Marbhaisgort lvl 80 Necro (fresh), Chahwuk (ToS)/Merav(Necro) lvl5x (for when I get to do Purist-achievements) Cromites.

Membership valid until 2018-03-16 20:02:55 Got tricked again 2015-12-14

That is funny. The more instances, the less waiting time you have. It is best when there is only one zone, as the players aren't so spread out. When there are 2 zones, one is usually much less populated.

And here we maybe have something to investigate.
    Are you sure the respawn time is 45 minutes?
    Afaik it used to be approx. 30 minutes on the previous bosses and they were also announced that way I think
    If the respawn time of this boss is indeed 45 minutes then we have something that FunCom should look in to.
    There is a ton of confusion on this matter. There have only ever been two different timers. The old timer only existed for the first 2 months of the WB, with boss spawning up to about 2 hours after the previous. From the 3rd WB on till now, we have had the same random timer. I've kept fairly close track on WB spawn and death times and this is what I have found.

From the death of a WB, the next WB summoner will spawn in that instance somewhere between about 26-80 minutes later. The exact time is random within that approximate range. The upper number of 80 minutes is less certain, due to bad/no calling in global, but from the 1000+ WB kills I've had, I can be fairly confident in my numbers.

Edit (2016): I noticed this old post and decided to update it with information I gained much more accurately. The above range of 26-80 was due to bad instance calling. With good data obtained only through myself over many months, I found the proper range for spawn after the previous death is 25-60 minutes.
    Last edited by tapwater; 31st May 2016 at 22:55.

This world boss is now no longer CCable, as per the patch notes posted one minute ago.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...March-5th-2015

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast