Thread: Some new player questions...

Default Some new player questions...

Hello, I just had a couple questions.

1. I'm a new player to AoC and so far, I haven't really been able to find any comprehensive online resources that explain the overall game very well. I found a AoC wiki but it doesn't seem to have much information on it and it looks pretty out dated. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could go to easily find updated and accurate information on quests, dungeons, classes, class builds, items, zones, tradeskills, leveling guides etc. ?

2. I'm interested in the Halloween event quests. Could someone give me some information about them please? Like... where the quests start, what npc I should talk with, what the minimum level ranges are to start and finish the quest etc. Please remember that I'm new and know absolutely nothing about the game really... so I won't understand stuff like zone abbreviations.

Also, Is the new Halloween quest event described in the director's letter in game yet? If so, where would I go to start this?

I'm assuming these Halloween quests are only available for a limited time?

If any active AoC vets on the Crom server are feeling friendly and wouldn't mind helping a new player out sometimes, by answering questions in game... please feel free to let me know and leave a character name then. Don't worry, I don't like being power leveled and I never ask for money or gear.

Thanks for the help!

I'm not entirely sure what explaining overall game would mean. It's a pretty standard "themepark MMORPG", you make yourself a virtual avatar and then you kill things and collect things for virtual people who give you virtual stuff in exchange, letting you gain levels and new abilities and new items so you can kill and collect bigger things. A vicious cycle of endlessly escalating virtual violence.

I doubt there's anything out there that explains all of those things in detail. Just read whatever it says on screen and then play the game, don't worry too much about details.

Halloween events will (most likely) get patched into the game later on and patchnotes will (probably) give a short description. It's probably the same Night of Lost Souls event we've had on previous years but we'll see.

Ask your questions in New Player Help channel. It's usually inhabited by helpful people who'll know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what explaining overall game would mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin1882 View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could go to easily find updated and accurate information on quests, dungeons, classes, class builds, items, zones, tradeskills, leveling guides etc. ?
    Uh... yeah, okay then. Not sure how to make that any more clear.

I have plenty of basic questions about the game but I don't really want to post like 20+ questions on the forum. I'd prefer to find a guide or site somewhere to read about the basics---as well as help me find out where I should go and what I should do after Tortage. AoC isn't exactly like your average theme park (I would've already lost interest if it was)... I've already noticed a lot of differences and I've not even done much outside Tortage yet.

Would really appreciate some answers to my questions if anyone's willing.

Your character will automatically be sent to your "home city" when you're done in Torgage, said city depending on what race your character is. Aquilonians go to Old Tarantia, Cimmerians to Conarch Village, and Stygians to Khemi. If you're a premium player and have the Rise of the Godslayer expansion, you can make a Khitani, and get sent to Gateway to Khitai

AoC covers a lot of ground, and there are sites with maps and virtual maps around. Here's one good site:
    http://www.valmerwolf.com/AoC/maps.htm

AOC>TV is a good site for figuring out what gear drops where, though it's not all that useful until you get to higher levels:
    http://aoc.is-better-than.tv/index.php

Let's see -- there's great class advice in the class-specific forums here. But the best advice I can give is to join a guild that's new-player friendly. You'll find that your more experienced guild-mates are the best source for information in the game. Check the Guild Hall forum here for information on the various guilds that advertise there.

good video collection of dungeon guides and class guides.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=183363

Also like mentioned already, ask questions in game too. Lot's of helpful folks there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffriend View Post
    Your character will automatically be sent to your "home city" when you're done in Torgage, said city depending on what race your character is. Aquilonians go to Old Tarantia, Cimmerians to Conarch Village, and Stygians to Khemi. If you're a premium player and have the Rise of the Godslayer expansion, you can make a Khitani, and get sent to Gateway to Khitai

AoC covers a lot of ground, and there are sites with maps and virtual maps around. Here's one good site:
    http://www.valmerwolf.com/AoC/maps.htm

AOC>TV is a good site for figuring out what gear drops where, though it's not all that useful until you get to higher levels:
    http://aoc.is-better-than.tv/index.php

Let's see -- there's great class advice in the class-specific forums here. But the best advice I can give is to join a guild that's new-player friendly. You'll find that your more experienced guild-mates are the best source for information in the game. Check the Guild Hall forum here for information on the various guilds that advertise there.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinlock View Post
    good video collection of dungeon guides and class guides.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=183363

Also like mentioned already, ask questions in game too. Lot's of helpful folks there.
    Thank you both for the helpful links and advice. This should help me out. I personally try to avoid public chat in games as much as I can lol... but I am looking for a new player friendly guild and already made a post in the guild hall forum. Only got one reply from a guild there so far though... probably because I said I wasn't interested in raiding.

If anyone else has any additional links or advice they'd like to give, please do so. I'll check back with this thread from time to time.