Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better class for a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Aell View Post
    Yeah, but since I've never leveled a guardian (or a ToS, actually) I can't know that for absolute certain. So it bugs me that I can't refute his attempt at an argument.

I'm not leveling a ToS though. Way too boring.
    Guard is same boat. Thematically and mechanically dull compared to the other two soldiers. I know some absolute beastly guards so they can be viable for anything other than t4. I exclude t4 simply out of lack of personal experience, seems like everyone stateside runs extra dts and conks for t4 these days.
    I don't make points I make dents.

To the OP: Best advice for a beginner - don't read anything Ringofs#@t has to say.

PVP: Guard has never been weak at any stage of AoC and polearm has the longest range of any weapon so very forgivable to new players.

PVE: very survivable in average gear and agro is fine once you know a rotation and switch builds according to your role.

Quote Originally Posted by Unutterable View Post
    Guard is same boat. Thematically and mechanically dull compared to the other two soldiers. I know some absolute beastly guards so they can be viable for anything other than t4. I exclude t4 simply out of lack of personal experience, seems like everyone stateside runs extra dts and conks for t4 these days.
    Guard has it's place in T4, I'll highlight some areas where they can shine and offer something to the raid.

[Magic Fights T4]
    Still very strong on magic fights especially when the the target is high mitigation. Also with a budget k6/t3/crafted protection set is much better on agro than equivalent budget geared conq/dt for new tanks.

I'd agree a well played Conq and DT can nose in front on agro on magic fights, but the only conq in my guild I have problem getting agro off on a magic fight has two protection ibis and runs carnage combos. This is not most conq's. DT's have to be well geared and run tali/dread spec to be a problem. This being said for the magic fights in T4 I still feel like the guard can hold on longer - better survivability.

[Positioning Zodiac - Handling enrage]
    Burst agro has it's uses. Pop stall while the bloodshed DT is revving up their dps/taps - you will stop dps pulling and pathing the boss - if you are decent agro DT might not take over until 3rd or 4th Meteor. Can actually play it like its name sake and be a 'guardian' of the main DT, holding it during enrages or bad 6 man solves. Zodiac shouldn't enrage if the boss is positioned right but if it does a guard who is quick to react is very handy.

[Illusions - Emp]
    Illusions are high mitigation, we tell our guards not to use shield slam or guard destroyer so they are not putting combos on with innate hate else they easily out agro DT/conq on illusions. This being said they still have those combos up their sleeve to save someone who is not losing agro fast enough on an illusion. So are very useful on Illusions and Emp him self.

[MC/Entity]
    2 to 3 protection fights there, well geared protection guard has a lot to offer. Stall is very nice on strom's Defensive stance.

[Physical Fights]
    I'll agree a well geared/skill DT and conq will beat a guard on agro, and fights where a dt can tap well enough to tank bloodshed/tali good luck beating it. But... against new DT's/Conq's a well played well geard guard does (from experience) out agro them, so as new tanks are progressing through T4 an experience/geard guard has a lot to offer.

Sorry this turned a bit /TLDR

I guess the point of my post is to one claim that I'd rather take an experience well communicating tank who knows the mechanics of each encounter on any soldier class then a well geared DT/Conq who doesn't know their sh!t.

Secondly just to address the guard paranoia ringleaderofs#@t constantly dribbles that the guard is a bad class. He probably just struggles on his. It is not good for new players to hear his bias.

Unutterable if you ever want a run through T4 pm me, we run 3 x T4 (2 do a full clear) raids a week all in different time zones.

There's nothing wrong with Guard, the only difference between than tanks is that Conq and DT (with VoM) are seriously advantaged over guard by the nature of the class mechanics/AAs. My blue geared conq has close to 600 dps in frenzy, it's just the how the class is.

My guard is in pretty much T2/Faction/Culture gear and does fine in pve and pvp. The only thing wrong with the class is that it's not as shiny as dt's and conqs are right now.
    Doomsayer 2008

Don't play Guardian, you'll get frustrated and leave game. Play Conq, it's a "safe" class, easy to learn the general mechanics, and is a very strong class PvE and PvP.

Think of playing Guardian as playing a game in "nightmare" mode. It's just not worth it. There is a very GOOD reason why most endgame guilds are overloading on DTs/Conqs at the cost of guards. A very GOOD reason.

Guard and Conq both are strong viable class's in the game.

DT is strong as well. But you will need good gear to really be any good at all. Even with the rite or same exact combos as another player, the gear makes the biggest difference. Less skill based, and more gear oriented.

The guard "in my opinion" is my favorite soldier of all time. Strong even without gear. I have a lvl 75 guard I bring on T1 raids and I'm locking out lvl 80's in T2/3/khatia gear. While I'm wearing lvl 70 blues. Point is, it doesn't need gear to deliver whats needed. I also have a couple lvl 80 guards. T3/4 on one of them, and T3/2 on the other. I know the class quite well. So, just making my opinion viable. I don't only have a lvl 75 is what I'm getting at.

Conq needs some gear, but for the most part is like the guard. Not quite as tuff, but you have 2 bubbles you can pop and it makes up for the mitigation differences. When you get higher end, you will find the mitigation differences are minimal at best. Except for some particular situations "magic fights".

At the end of the day, you can take all our advice etc. But what you are asking is an opinion and none of us know exactly what your looking for, or your play style. Try each for yourself and see what you like.

3 guards, 1 conq, 1 dt "Is what I'm rocking, at least one of each"
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

Quote Originally Posted by Lurok View Post
    Hi,i return to game after 2 times but i dont have any character on. This time i was like to stay more time than lvl 40 and i was like to create a char that is better for both pve and pvp. So which class is better for me? My priority is tanking and i like Dark Templar but is a little complicated,so is a good recomendation for a beginner? Thanks.

If you want to tank, play a conq. A DT will be superior at top endgame but takes lots of gear to make it effective. A guard will be more effective at lower levels, but will fall behind in tanking as gear increases. Only conq will be able to be effective at all gear levels.

My advice:
    tank: Dark Templar;
    DPS: Herald of Xotli (mage) or Barbarian (rogue);
    healer: Bear Shaman.

In fact, all classes are good for beginners, so take whatever you prefer.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

i have all 3 tank classes but i have 2 guards as they are more fun and less gear dependent to do their job which is tank.

ive tanked all t1 t2 in greens on my second tank and not had an issue although i did use a basic crafted set with protection gems in for the imp boss, other then that if you get good with a guard you can tank stuff nude
    Blynd - Official AOC Slacker since April 2008
    Blindrana - Failing to heal since 2008
    Rybekka - failing to tank since forever

can be found in Auraxis killing smurfs and baboons.

Technology is might

Srry about necro posting,but im going to return to game after a lot of time,and im going to create a dark templar or guardian,just for the type of char,i like tanks,so i think that my ideal class was guardian or templar,so i need to know which char i easier for a begginer and first char for lvl up to the end (lvl 80),caused i read all posts here and some people said that guardian is a wrong char for a begginer and other said that is a viable char. So,if i start with guardian (shield + sword) in pve i have difficulties for be a tank and kill enemyes???
    Last edited by Lurock; 18th April 2014 at 16:18.

guard can be fine, but i'd use polearm, instead of sword and shield, for leveling...
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast