Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plight of the EU player...

Default Plight of the EU player...

Although initially I was a staunch opponent of the EU "whiners" about the Ping/Lag after the merge, I am now officially switching my stance. EU players are really REALLY getting screwed with this lag/ping.

What I've been noticing...

1.) Lots of bouncing around. I've seen this before with Aussie players and I'm going to guess that the EU pings are @200~300 m/s. Although, this ping is OK for PvE (not ideal) it's pretty hard to accurately land blows in PvP, and it really shows the huge disadvantage the EU players are getting. PvP is (in any game) a VERY competitive "sport". A disadvantage of 100~200 m/s is HUGE.

2.) EU players technically pay more. According to Google the exchange rate is 1 EURO = 1.35 USD. Meaning Euros are actually paying $20.25 per month (if subbing month to month). Further, there are apparently MORE Euro players then the U.S. What this all means is that the US gets the servers... that the Euros pay for...um, that's not cool.

3.) Lack of FC input on the issue. I have yet to see any FC employee address this issue with the Euro latency/lag. I know U.S. HAS been getting lag spikes but it's playable. BUT, the Euros are really suffering, it's to the point where some minis fall apart because players get kicked from the server or the latency gets so bad that people just give up. It's really not going to work in the longer term.

Now, as a FC employee you may think "Jeez! Why is this Jack*!@ saying these things!" Honestly, if you know me and the usual posts I make you would know I am a HARDCORE FC Fanboy. I am making this post to address a possible cataclysmic issue with the game's survival later down the road. I've been receiving input from Euro players and what I've been noticing is this trend of "I'm probably going to quit if this continues..." commentary gaining traction at least in the PvP community. There exists a significant portion of the AoC population that play the game specifically for the PvP and much of them are Euro players. Further, this will completely scuttle the Unchained PvP upgrades coming down the pipeline as the latency will turn off much of the existing and potential PvP population. I hope Funcom is cognizant of these possibly mortal wounds that could be afflicted onto the game ...and find a solution to them. Thank you.

They have 2 options:

- suck it up and deal with it (like any AU player has to when they play *any* MMO game ... since none locate servers down here)
    - stop playing (if the experience in PvP is too frustrating for you, and you really, really do not want to do any PvE)

It's as simple as that. Funcom have made their decision on where to locate the servers.
    Last edited by Petridish; 30th September 2013 at 01:40.
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

Quote Originally Posted by RingOfSet View Post
    Although initially I was a staunch opponent of the EU "whiners" about the Ping/Lag after the merge, I am now officially switching my stance. EU players are really REALLY getting screwed with this lag/ping.

What I've been noticing...

1.) Lots of bouncing around. I've seen this before with Aussie players and I'm going to guess that the EU pings are @200~300 m/s. Although, this ping is OK for PvE (not ideal) it's pretty hard to accurately land blows in PvP, and it really shows the huge disadvantage the EU players are getting. PvP is (in any game) a VERY competitive "sport". A disadvantage of 100~200 m/s is HUGE.

2.) EU players technically pay more. According to Google the exchange rate is 1 EURO = 1.35 USD. Meaning Euros are actually paying $20.25 per month (if subbing month to month). Further, there are apparently MORE Euro players then the U.S. What this all means is that the US gets the servers... that the Euros pay for...um, that's not cool.

3.) Lack of FC input on the issue. I have yet to see any FC employee address this issue with the Euro latency/lag. I know U.S. HAS been getting lag spikes but it's playable. BUT, the Euros are really suffering, it's to the point where some minis fall apart because players get kicked from the server or the latency gets so bad that people just give up. It's really not going to work in the longer term.

Now, as a FC employee you may think "Jeez! Why is this Jack*!@ saying these things!" Honestly, if you know me and the usual posts I make you would know I am a HARDCORE FC Fanboy. I am making this post to address a possible cataclysmic issue with the game's survival later down the road. I've been receiving input from Euro players and what I've been noticing is this trend of "I'm probably going to quit if this continues..." commentary gaining traction at least in the PvP community. There exists a significant portion of the AoC population that play the game specifically for the PvP and much of them are Euro players. Further, this will completely scuttle the Unchained PvP upgrades coming down the pipeline as the latency will turn off much of the existing and potential PvP population. I hope Funcom is cognizant of these possibly mortal wounds that could be afflicted onto the game ...and find a solution to them. Thank you.
    When an EU player is bouncing around and porting due to lag, it's just as difficult on the player trying to HIT that target.

1) This subject has been beaten to death.
    2) A lot of western EU players have equal or better ping than US players that aren't near an internet backbone.
    3) Nobody has it as bad as the people from Australia and NZ.

I just came out from a minigame right now. It has been VERY FRUSTRATING to play this game competitively in PVP with this problems.

Funcom should at least have the courtesy of addressing this issues formally on the forums.

I mean it is bad enough we can not ascertain why it is happening but when someone accusses you for hacking or you see someone bounce around or even port around. Coincidence or not that takes out of the whole gaming experience.

And yes I will not sub to any FUNCOM game ever! I will not renew my premium sub when i t expires this November.

Their email support sucks also. We can not discuss "hacks" or issues related or that may even be percieved as hacks due to latency, but they wont even answer my support email about it.

In the end , I am ashamed to say that FUNCOM made a killing on most of us that stayyed since 2008. Imagine 5 years of monthly subs.....

It will #2 for me. I'm at the end of my PvE rope, ping is notably worse, even though I have always player on US servers, and tired of paying more for less. Tired of being played for an idiot by FC. Sub has got 1/2 a year on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Petridish View Post
    They have 2 options:

- suck it up and deal with it (like any AU player has to when they play *any* MMO game ... since none locate servers down here)
    - stop playing (if the experience in PvP is too frustrating for you, and you really, really do not want to do any PvE)

It's as simple as that. Funcom have made their decision on where to locate the servers.
    And EU players stop playing, no income for FUNCOM all servers close. And no AOC for you.

I'm lucky enough to live in central eu so it's mostly around 170 ms for me, but people living east of me have it much worse...

What suck even more are lagspikes and dcs that happen a lot lately. Not cool funcom, not cool at all
    Valianoris - 80lvl Priest of Mitra
    Aelfronear - 80lvl Dark Templar

1) After the latest maintenance, some of us suffer from +40% ping. Mine stays at 350-380ms instead of 230-260 before the maintenance. That is not my ISP's problem, as I have checked the ping, other ISPs, and routes several times through other means. In the morning (CET time), it drops back to 198-230.

2) We can try editing the information on the account page, maybe?

3) Funcom are a very small company with several projects on their hands.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

I live in western eu, so ping is relatively good, varies between 160 and 250. Still sucks pretty much considering where I came from (50ish). I do still hope funcom drag their servers out of the woods and put them near an internet backbone, but I guess that's a dream..

Do something about this funcom! Having high ping is one thing, but crashing instances is even worse :/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast