Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Petition: delete old accounts

Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    - Character deletion if character < xx levels, and not logged after < xx months on Free to Play. More if premium, if ever. Or if never converted to F2P
    Hard disk space is cheap, no reason to delete anything. Only recycling of names would be needed.

It is bad business to delete characters for people, regardless of how long it is. If they get pissed off because of it you have lost a customer. If they see the old characters still around people will have a more positive attitude in general, even if they decide to re-roll anyway.

I agree with making old characters (not used in over 360 days) get new names such as XXXX333i3432? That's what happens when merges get done. It would open up the old names and then IF the person returns they can pick a new name.

Or make it even longer. Deleting a character isn't a good idea though imo as it can alienate returning players.

Quote Originally Posted by Sente View Post
    Or simply let the name check at character creation check if the name is taken by a character whose account have been inactive for 3+ years (or whatever limit is chosen) - at that point give the inactive character a new name + free rename and give the name to the new character.

Thus if a name is never taken there is no need to do any scans at regular intervals or giving out renames which might not have been required. Why do extra work if it is not needed? Better to do any checks on-demand.
    /signed
    /10

Maybe a simpeler solution it to give the possibility to add surnames.
    like:
    on an old account there's Number 1: Cor
    Number 2 could become "Cor the hunter"
    Number 3 could name his toon "Cor the bootyhunter" etc....

I for one have given many of my characters surnames due to RP purposes (like family names etc). Might be an idea

hmmm, come to think of it .. this could become an incentive with naming pollicy, because there are countless ways to make funny names then.
    Being a barbarian is a tough profession. You cut heads, drink loads of beer and eat piles of meat ........... and then when you come home you got to keep the wife happy as well (*sigh)

If they do something like this, then I'd like a free name change on my characters too. I've had to change the names of half my characters because they've been merged to three different servers over the past five years.

I know for sure that Kristal, Silvermane and Ghostbreath are not active players on Set anymore, and I would like those names back.

/notsigned

It's part of being an F2P game, and being an older game in particular. Just try some originality in your naming and you can come up with something.

The one suggestion I saw that I agree with is you should be able to save off your character customization options to reload later. If you don't have a name now, or the time to invent one, you should be able to load the look you've worked on.

Also, some other games have gotten around the unique naming issue by making names tied to the user account name. So you can have Rattus@Account, and anyone can use whatever character name they like on their own account. You guys should have all the data you need to make that happen fairly easily, and then just strip out the account portion for display purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arishanya View Post
    Just wanted to say that I have thrown this up the ladder for review, since I als agree it would be a sad sad day if I lost my character names to an inactive player.
    I don't think you will lose it to an inactive character.
    The parameters for stuff like that are most active, longest subscriber and stuff like that right? That way an active player would always win from an inactive player.

Apart from that:
    It would also be nice for us to see what names are in use on the US servers. It would be a nice way of "forcing" us to subscribe for 1 year if we want to keep our names.

In my case, I probably would need to subscribe for a year to keep most of my names.

Question The Merge

Hi all!

Having a question here, tried too directly contact AoC staff but didnt get respons..

How about the merge and player names?
    I dont want too switch my names, but how do things works if some players having the same character names within the merge?

Regards
    Crusta - Crom

Google and you shall find:

What happens if several characters with the same name end up on the same server? \

This depends on the following aspects and rules:
    Is the character on a still active account?

If several characters of the same name are all from active accounts, the one with the higher level will keep his name.

If merged characters have the same level, the one from an account which is registered on a longer time base will keep the name (so 3 month recurring over 1 month recurring).

If characters are from accounts with the same subscription recurring time, the last login will decide which one keeps the name.
    The other(s) will be prompted a message at the first attempt to log in with that character stating that a new name must be given to this character.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    /notsigned

Just try some originality in your naming and you can come up with something.
    Agreed. Most players who think they're coming up with an original name are not original at all. I never had issues in finding short and cool/funny names for any of my multiple chars, even though I don't thing I'm particularly imaginative.

But I reckon the current plethora of various orthographic occurrences of "Khalessi" and "Daenerys" says long about most players's laziness when it comes to names :P

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast