Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Funcom plz tell why Most players have unaceptable pings

Quote Originally Posted by Vorbiz View Post
    I think that could be a trick of the mind. A difference of 30ms in an MMO won't actually give any visual delay.
    I agree. The increase in ping is not enough to account for the sluggish feel. But it is there, same today as yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteknut View Post
    Yes thats true, but people have been talking about that they experience cancelling of combos. I have not noticed anything like that.

Game is just as brilliant as before, btw im a PVE'er.
    No way, I thought I was going crazy with some of my combos canceling. I may hit the wrong key once in a while but not enough to account for what was happening and they were not interrupted either.

Vorbiz Edit:Profanity removal
    Last edited by Vorbiz; 19th May 2013 at 21:51.
    Operator irc.funcom.com:6667 #ageofconan #thesecretworld
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the world asunder
    Dysphoria - Murky Templar - Icoyce - Herald of the Black Kraken - Eriphyle - Shebearman

Quote Originally Posted by mrcorp View Post
    Please explain how either Oracle, a database that stores data or SAP, an inventory solution will help solve funcoms ping issue? By the way, SAP can run on Oracle, they are completely different and unrelated to anything you suggest.
    For your comment "unrelated to anything you suggest":
    I think you did not understand the context of my conversation with user Kurt. We were not talking of ping. He commented on the difficulty that Funcom may encounter in modelling the data of players leaving and entering, subbing and unsubbing, etc, and predicting how it would affect revenues, because of the variable period involved in those actions.

Therefore, my comment to him was to simply point out that such complex scenarios are already a solved problem as far as statisticians and data modelers are concerned.

For your comment "Oracle, a database that stores data or SAP, an inventory solution will help solve funcoms ping issue? By the way, SAP can run on Oracle, they are completely different":
    This statement, while it may appear correct to laymen at first glance, is so completely wrong that the only thing I can conclude from here is that you are completely unfamiliar with the technologies involved, and simply "googled" them for a few minutes and thought you could actually debate someone who is an actual professional.

1.) Oracle is not just a database. It is true that the Oracle Database is Oracle's main (and most popular) product, but to think of "Oracle" as merely a database is ludicrous. Oracle has a full suite of business applications, as well as several different other database products other than the one called "Oracle Database". Combined, these allow Oracle to offer Oracle Solutions of different kinds, including their own ERP (explaining what an ERP is will take a full, long post by itself; suffice it to say, ERP's are enterprise-wide, large-scale business software deployed to handle most or multiple divisions of a company, in order to produce synergized high-level operational and strategic reports). In our context of how Funcom can model complex data, take for example this Oracle Product: http://www.oracle.com/us/products/da...iew/index.html. Analytics is a fancy business terminology that means "let me cruch tons of raw data, and I will apply lots of statistical models to it in order to give you a simplified breakdown of where your company is headed, as per the data provided". If you review again the context upon which Kurt and I were conversing, you will see that something like this is what Funcom could use to make sense of the information Kurt was talking about. And that explains why I included it in my examples.

2.) SAP is not an "inventory solution". Calling it an "inventory solution" is like calling a Porsche Panamera Turbo Executive (MSRP: ~$160,000.00) a "Hyundai alternative". LOL. SAP is an ERP. For quite a time, in fact, it has been the world's #1 ERP vendor. SAP ERP, being one of the most mature ERP products available, contains analytics. They also have (just like Oracle) "Big Data" solutions, which, when combined with their analytics, allows the processing of tremendous amounts of data (100++ terabytes), which in turn will allow for more accurate results from their analytics. Again, exactly what could solve the problems noted by Kurt, to which I originally replied.

As for the rest of your post, the only thing that actually matters is what you said near the end, that it all comes down to cost. That is true, and as I've attempted to explain in earlier posts, it is just another aspect that everybody here (you, me, all other posters) is blind, whereas Funcom has real data. Which reinforces my earlier posts, which point that despite all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that have happened here, it does not change the fact that none of us here can possibly come up with a better decision than Funcom, simply because of the delta between the data Funcom has (logs of everything, player info, geographic info, subs, item-shop purchases, income, maintenance costs, capacity, constraints, etc) and the data we have (basically zero; we only have whatever PR Funcom tells us, gossip from forum posts and guildees, etc). It is simply ridiculous to believe otherwise. I'm not saying everyone should stop complaining; I'm just giving everyone a reality check, especially those who seem to actually think they have a better solution.

At the risk of repeating myself further, I should probably note again, before someone decides to question this, that a company may simply still fail and go bankrupt even if it made 100% correct decisions 100% of the time, due to external factors. I made a lengthy post about this earlier in the thread, I don't want to repeat all that, go find it in the last 3 pages if interested.

I've seen a few of the most recent posts here mention cancelling of combos. I was at Isle of Iron Statues yesterday and the day before, I have experienced the same thing. My ping has been mostly unchanged (it may even have improved by an inconsequential 30-40ms), but there were more lag spikes than usual. There's probably a deeper problem, outside of latency. If this is indeed due to the current network stack code that Funcom says they will fix, then perhaps things will improve in the near future.
    Last edited by aocjv; 19th May 2013 at 15:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Arishanya View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 'love' is the wrong word to use. Perhaps 'support' is a better choice? I clearly understand what you are saying, but 'love' is an emotionally charged word and may cloud people's interpretations of what you are describing.
    Yes, it would have been better to use a different word, but that was already the word I used in my initial post, and there was just this nitpick about semantics, which I then tried to unmuddle, and then we eventually arrive at the post you quoted.

But as you say, you understand clearly what I am saying. I don't believe anybody else will be confused, after my clarification of the semantics to avoid debates centered around mere semantics. However, given the already high emotions in this thread (and let me state clearly, despite me trying to inject a bit of rationality and reality-check here, everyone who is pissed at the degradation they perceive is quite justified in venting here), it won't be a surprise if people will still have their interpretations of whatever I (or anybody else) say to be a bit clouded. The emotions are simply too high at this point in time, and understandably so.

I am hoping that 1-2 months into the future, Funcom will have fixed whatever needs fixing in their net code, and we can all laugh about this phase of uncertainty, and tell each other jokes about "hey, remember when we were all pissed at the merge due to those net code fixes being late? Lol, those were some interesting times at the forum!"

Had ~80 ms before, 103 now, latency wise its exactly the same experience I'm havin on TSW and it's completely fine (no no, im not trolling, is serious)

I think that could be a trick of the mind. A difference of 30ms in an MMO won't actually give any visual delay.
    Visual delay, for sure, but the delay between you press your cooldown / anything and the moment it happen in game, it's just a world of difference when you're used to have fast delay response in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sygmaelle View Post
    80 ms before, 103 now
    I've ~ 125 ms and that's not the Problem but the Latency Peaks from 800 - 4900 ms every 15-20 Seconds are very serious Problems.

I have 170-200 with jumps upwards and its not very fun playing melee

I had 90-120 ms before. Now i have 210-400ms. Latency is 160-200 when server is emtpy (morning). I am trying to Play bs with this ms. I really regret because of buying 1year subscription. I am gonna leave aoc if it goes like this..

(ps. Please dont write silly comments like : it is playable with +200ms. I am playing this Game since release, i am a veteran pvper (it was before this ms issue) and i know at which ms i can pvp well. Ppl who writes on forums like ' i was doing fine with +200ms at pvp ' they just don't know what real pvp is. Check YouTube I have several videos on there. Now I can lose against an average player who has good ms.) End..

Quote Originally Posted by aocjv View Post
    You over-simplified the scenario (or perhaps your understanding of the situation is really over-simplified, or perhaps your emotions about the current event is clouding your normally astute brilliance) which is why you are leading into a false conclusion.

The facts that we know are:
    1.) Funcom decided to merge the US and EU servers, and decided on the US due to, in their own words, superior technology.

That's pretty much it.
    This raises some important questions. Why did they have to physically move the EU servers to the US to merge them. Could this not be done online?

If the US servers are, in their words, superior technology, why not move them to the EU? I take it the US servers are as movable as the EU ones.

I'm thinking the reasoning behind this decision is saving money but the risk is huge if the far larger EU population find their in game experience has degraded sufficiently to make a percentage vote with their wallets.

As for my experience, my ping has trebled here in Scotland from 80 to 240.

Quote Originally Posted by Jota180 View Post
    This raises some important questions. Why did they have to physically move the EU servers to the US to merge them. Could this not be done online?

If the US servers are, in their words, superior technology, why not move them to the EU? I take it the US servers are as movable as the EU ones.

I'm thinking the reasoning behind this decision is saving money but the risk is huge if the far larger EU population find their in game experience has degraded sufficiently to make a percentage vote with their wallets.

As for my experience, my ping has trebled here in Scotland from 80 to 240.

They didn't move the servers (i.e. the computers). They simply transferred the data over the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fsen View Post
    I had 90-120 ms before. Now i have 210-400ms. Latency is 160-200 when server is emtpy (morning). I am trying to Play bs with this ms. I really regret because of buying 1year subscription. I am gonna leave aoc if it goes like this..

(ps. Please dont write silly comments like : it is playable with +200ms. I am playing this Game since release, i am a veteran pvper (it was before this ms issue) and i know at which ms i can pvp well. Ppl who writes on forums like ' i was doing fine with +200ms at pvp ' they just don't know what real pvp is. Check YouTube I have several videos on there. Now I can lose against an average player who has good ms.) End..

I definately underline this and i regret also that i have so much playing time left. Unless ping is returning to back to the acceptable rate which is below 150ms .This will be end of AoC for my 5 year history. PVP is really sluggish and not enjoyable like this. Playing Melee now has nothing to do with skill so you can just forget the unchained PVP things ext ext as long as the servers have high ping. All in all its not just right that EU players (who are more) all suffer from this. Why on earth you came to this kind of solution? I just cannot understand...
    Last edited by SelfRez; 23rd May 2013 at 06:04.