Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Latency for the moved EU server - post your ping

Quote Originally Posted by spunq View Post
    Guys we need HAMANX back right now

Hes online on Crom as we speak..

Funcom knew what latency we would get before they moved, so posting the numbers now don't really do much, the latency is more or less the same as what we saw in the old thread where Joel asked us to post tsw vs aoc eu latency.

Whatever the real reason behind the move is, they know that players will quit, and they're probably prepared that 3-5k subscribers will quit over this.

It's one hell of a way to treat long term subscribers, but as they say, you need to break some eggs to make a omelet. They probably hope to profit on the move one way or the other long term, wheter that's just lower server costs, or if the intention is too grow the casual segment on the move.

Big big mistake from funcom :P they are making way more money with the subscribers in EU that are leaving now than with low server maintenance cost.
    Spunqe's SuperStream!

Yeah I don't see how it could possibly help them in the long run. You don't really save a game by losing players do you? (and those players bring far money in if not by numbers at least by the price of the sub in €)

But paulson I'm not sure they were actually expecting people to quit. I think they just don't really understand how pvp is played in this game (at least how it was played on euro servers) and so they think the impact will be minimal.

Maybe you're right and I'm wrong, but then that means they are being so outrageously disrespectful to Euro players that we could pretty much sue them.
    Last edited by kalston; 14th May 2013 at 17:48.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    Yeah I don't see how it could possibly help them in the long run. You don't really save a game by losing players do you? (and those players bring far money in if not by numbers at least by the price of the sub in €)

But paulson I'm not sure they were actually expecting people to quit. I think they just don't really understand how pvp is played in this game (at least how it was played on euro servers) and so they think the impact will be minimal.
    thats the prob, making assumptions before consulting the pop

Big big mistake from funcom :P they are making way more money with the subscribers in EU that are leaving now than with low server maintenance cost.
    Thruth is : you don't know.

Yes it's sucks for us players. And I'm as uspset as you with the increase of ping (while it's still playable for me, I'm lucky), but you aren't the financial manager of funcom, and neither I am.

I """suppose""" the decison has not been taken after a 5 minutes brainstorming, between the sandwich break and the coffee break, just for the sake of putting something in the Month letter. This isn't improvisation folks, I'm sure they made estimation about the cost & the risk of losing player. But hey, estimations are what they are, and they might have underestimated the number of player pissed off by this move.

Frankely, I'm not sure it was worth it, but hey, we don't have all the data in hands to make a decision. What is sure, however, is that it sucks bad for many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by barbaricwildcat2 View Post
    thats the prob, making assumptions before consulting the pop
    i really hope they come to senses and understand what theyr doin
    Spunqe's SuperStream!

Yay raid time,spikes up to 400 ms .AMAZINGLY SMOOTH GAMEPLAY

Number crunching time:

Checked at various intervals during an in-game session tonight:

124 - 720 ms (location: Oslo, Norway)

The average sits very stable between 154 and 180. The 124 ms was a very brief occurance, then there were some other random lows around the 135 ms mark. Likewise, there were some short latency spikes in the 400 ms range, and one single short spike at 720 ms.

This behaviour is very much alike what it was on the servers when they were located in Stockholm until yesterday, i.e. short random spikes going up and down.

The spikes are the annoying culprits, more so than the relatively stable latency itself (which now looks to be doing a steady 154-180ms when not counting the random spikes that happen from time to time).

Compare this to my previous numbers from the thread Hey Funcom Quick Question On Latency =) where my average latency on the Stockholm servers was 58-72ms (with extreme lows down to 27ms and the highest latency spike of 1249ms) and it is clear that while latency is higher across the Pond (naturally - the distance is a clue), the real issue is the lag spikes.

Also it is interesting to note that my latency is lower on Testlive and The Secret World than the AoC servers that just got moved. Testlive: 110-143ms. TSW: 105-143ms. These two should be representative of what AoC would achieve once some maintenance and tweaks have been performed across the coming weeks.
    Chopping heads since the 17th of May 2008
    -----
    Not a single offline level spent. 560 and increasing

Guys we need HAMANX back right now
    He should buy funcom!