Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Player vs. Player

Default Player vs. Player

Its almost a nonstop chorus .. the main problem of the game is PvP. Fix it, and the game is saved, champagne will fall from the sky, and the world will be free of disease and war.

BUT, here is the big question , how the heck do you fix it?

So,many diverging answers and almost no agreement. Further the devs are lost in this portion of the game..they have to be, why? Because its "player" vs. "player" not player vs. the game.

Thus, the only people who know how to fix PvP and potentially double the population by bringing in pvp players is to discuss and ultimately come up with a solution to this problem that was never fixed in the game.

A.) What is the single biggest problem with PvP.

B.) How would you fix this problem?

C.) Would you care if PvP gear was more attainable ? I.e. you can loot players of PvP gear?

D.) PvE gear ceases to work against other players.

E.) When you are in a PvP enviorment you could grab "bonus items" in the game that will temporarily give you a AA buff or other enhancement.

F.) PvP scoreboard that's intelligently made, by kills , by heals, by rezzes, by damage taken without mitigation etc.

G.) Get rid of "PvP levels" but keep much of the abilities and progression in place. No more PvP 10's mowing down PvP 1's. Basically, get the grind out of PvP.
    Last edited by RingOfSet; 28th March 2013 at 18:15.

Equalize all purple gear across all tiers when dealing with PVP. Very easy to implement: Gear will have two sets of stats. One that is taken in to account in PVE, and ignored in PVP. One that is taken in to account in PVP, and ignored in PVE(This one would be the same on ALL purple gear, so the differences between PVE t1/PVP t1 and PVE t4/PVP t3 is simply cosmetic). Only people that are going to complain about this are PVE players that think their gear should equate win in PVP... That attitude is piss poor, and terrible for PVP... Power creep is fine in PVE, not PVP.

AA: The bigger issue, but harder to fix. I'd say have something similar to the first idea, with some modification. In PVP, have all the base AA(first tier) auto applied when fighting a player. Unlocking it should only be applied to PVE. What this means is that in PVE, you will have to spend AA points as before. However, when dealing with PVP, they will all be enabled by default at max. This equalizes it across the board, and lets fresh 80s become competitive.

There was also a suggestion I read here that I thought was kind of neat, where the first point in an AA would bring you 4/5ths of the way to the max stat, and the last 4 points would be .2 of the stat... so AA 1 at max = +5% damage.. 5 points.. 1st point would be 4%, 2nd would be 4.2%, 3rd 4.4% etc. This is a great idea that would lower the disparity quite a bit.

Arenas: We have arenas in place now, but they aren't what one would consider an arena in the modern sense... They are private. I think the PVP community would love PUBLIC arenas available to all players even if not in a guild. These/this arena would have a lower section or "pit" where the fighting happens, and raised stands(with an invisible wall obviously) for people to watch. In this fashion, it would not be a far stretch to add betting, leader boards, leagues etc for anything ranging from 1v1, group fights, to monster battles(each wave becomes increasingly more difficult). Put one of these in each hub city, and one out in Khitai somewhere. Once a "Season" have all the leaders from each arena fight in a grand tournament where Funcom can offer prizes(Be they cosmetic or not, maybe a bit of FC points even for the top dog). This would foster competition and would be awesome.

FIX SIEGES <--- big big big issue. Fixing the AA/Gear disparity would go a long way to balancing the sieges, and may draw in more players. Last siege I played in was riddled with bugs... groups breaking up, allies turning red, lag lag lag. FC already knows what the main issues are here though, so I won't get too much in to it.

More points of interest to capture and hold across ALL ZONES in the game. Don't just throw them in some Border Kingdom where they won't see traffic. Traffic is a GOOD thing, even if they aren't there to PVP. It puts it right in the spot light, and gives people a sense of "Maybe I should throw in my weight and help one side or the other". On PVE servers, you could have an NPC for each side standing around where the player can speak to them, and be asked if they would like to help(much like a quest). Selecting "Yes" would flag you for PVP by the other side of the conflict while in that zone. Should you stand around too long unflagged in a certain area, it will auto flag you(prevents griefing, but note, that the area in question is designed ONLY for the objective, so you have no business standing around there unflagged anyway :P). In this way, you can ensure that both rule sets are getting the same content, even if it's placed in a non PVP enabled zone on a PVE server. Don't want to PVP? Don't talk to the NPC or stand around the objective areas.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head, but I think they are fairly viable and can be implemented well with a team of devs willing to put in the work to ensure the execution is solid.

All and all, the combat system is there, and makes AOC stand out as is as far as PVP-ability. Just remember, introducing power creep and grinds is not how you foster PVP or keep the subs. This game was at it's highest PVP point when gear meant jack ****, and sieges and open world PVP were happening because of rivalries that developed naturally through territory disputes, not because of XP grind and item lust.

The BIGGEST thing that will increase the PVP longevity of this game, in conjunction with fixing the disparity issues, is keeping a steady flow of new players coming in to the game. That's on marketing/promotion. Keeping these players and having them sub would be a LOT easier if the disparity issues were fixed, also, but it is still mostly a marketing issue.
    Feel free to PM me for a job interview Joel, I got a million more
    Last edited by Azmith; 28th March 2013 at 18:37.

I just wish pvpers had their own chat channel

O yeah lets make AOC like fail ass GW2 and not let u progress through pvp. ****ing dumb idea making all gear have the same stats in pvp. What needs to be done is simple. increase the rate of progression and fix crowd control or limit the amount of CCs in the damn game. That's all i can think of to fix pvp. Open world pvp. well that would be a harder question to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba1thazar View Post
    O yeah lets make AOC like fail ass GW2 and not let u progress through pvp. ****ing dumb idea making all gear have the same stats in pvp. What needs to be done is simple. increase the rate of progression and fix crowd control or limit the amount of CCs in the damn game. That's all i can think of to fix pvp. Open world pvp. well that would be a harder question to answer.
    No, let's make AOC like it was at launch. You can have progression without power creep in PVP. It seems like you're of the PVE mindset that gear should = win. In PVE, sure. In PVP, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba1thazar View Post
    This is really a pve'ers mentality. This "haw haw I'm PvP 10 you're not and I got cool hair with cool armorz and leet weapons." Most pvpers (especially the hardcore)don't give a rats ass about this. What they do care about is balanced gameplay and if they lose, they lose to skill and not gear.

The Arena idea is awesome. I can see like 100 people coming to the arena to cheer/bet/socialize as they watch their favorite gladiators on the server kill each other. Very nice idea.

Whatever happens, needs to happen soon. On US pvp servers the pop is so low, you spend most of your time standing around watching your food and buffs wear off.

Merge tyanny and deahwish and keep b&g ruleset, fast!

Quote Originally Posted by RingOfSet View Post
    A.) What is the single biggest problem with PvP.
    There are no biggest problems. Smaller ones exist, but they are not "single" and "biggest" (as in, conquerors are too strong).

Quote Originally Posted by RingOfSet View Post
    B.) How would you fix this problem?
    Why would one fix something that is not broken?

C.) Would you care if PvP gear was more attainable ? I.e. you can loot players of PvP gear?
    It should be as hard to obtain as it is now. This is Hyboria, not Hello Kitty's world.

D.) PvE gear ceases to work against other players.
    Is that a question? It should work, but it can be adjusted to PvP statistics.

E.) When you are in a PvP enviorment you could grab "bonus items" in the game that will temporarily give you a AA buff or other enhancement.
    No, AAs do not affect PvP drastically.

F.) PvP scoreboard that's intelligently made, by kills , by heals, by rezzes, by damage taken without mitigation etc.
    This is a good idea.

G.) Get rid of "PvP levels" but keep much of the abilities and progression in place. No more PvP 10's mowing down PvP 1's. Basically, get the grind out of PvP.
    Never. Some classes at PvP level 0 can smite level 10s without any chance. PvP levels help us to progress and feel it. Also, they are the requirement to buy gear, and it feels great! This is MMORPG PvP, not a shooter PvP. Hell, give a veteran PvP level 0 of his class, and watch him do wonders.
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 29th March 2013 at 06:29.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    There are no biggest problems. Smaller ones exist, but they are not "single" and "biggest" (as in, conquerors are too strong).

Why would one fix something that is not broken?

It should be as hard to obtain as it is now. This is Hyboria, not Hello Kitty's world.

Is that a question? It should work, but it can be adjusted to PvP statistics.

No, AAs do not affect PvP drastically.

This is a good idea.

Never. Some classes at PvP level 0 can smite level 10s without any chance. PvP levels help us to progress and feel it. Also, they are the requirement to buy gear, and it feels great! This is MMORPG PvP, not a shooter PvP. Hell, give a veteran PvP level 0 of his class, and watch him do wonders.
    This is why the PvP in this game is trash. Players with a PvE mindset wanting gear to matter.

The ONLY PvP were gear should matter is open world and that should only be marginal.

Lunatic reading your posts always make me wonder do we play same game.
    AA dont affect pvp drastically?
    Do you even know about other classes AA? Lets not even think about protection, or dmg aa, or shortening some cooldowns, critigation, or crit rating... (which all adds significant advatage). Even that one anti cc is huge advantage.
    Not to mention some classes uber gold or silver perks...

And some classes lvl 0 that can kill pvp 10. well it is possible if that pvp 0 has khitai gear or t4 gear. In blue gear, like most fresh chars comes to minis, pvp 0 stand chance only against afk pvp 10.

Or maybe some pvp 0 destroyed you and you are still hurt by it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast