Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidar's DT guide

Go full strength to meet the mitigation threshold of the tier you're tanking, then for the rest, just get wisdom and unholy damage.

Although i personally went for full strength/combat rating gear and do not use any wisdom/unholy damage part, but it's just because i'm allergic to pyjama dts.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock25 View Post
    Sidar.... I see a few places you suggest getting the wisdom variant of an item over the str one, for example the wisdom t3 quest ring instead of the str one. Now I know a couple of dts that solo tank zodiac among other impressive feats and they swear by str/ combat rating over wisdom/ magic dmg. From listening to them it sounds like they think people got caught up in the stacking wisdom phase while testing on magic vulnerable encounters like some t3 bosses and trash. So I'll ask again to you and other dts... on a boss that has normal magic invuls (aka not arbanus ), while trying to tank, and ignoring the fact that the boss may be hitting for holy/unholy, what is the consensus that is preferred.... wis or str?
    Wis over str is more of a preference cause both are pretty fuctional, just in different ways.

for example comparing t4 rings.

Wis:
    Scales you average damage Higher
    Gives you 450 more mana (each ring)
    gives you 75 protection VS spiritual sources

Str:
    Awards you negligible more crit and hit
    more Physical mitigation

Mana KINDA = HP, and gives me more Stability on calling Roberto.

some might argue that the str one will provide more sustain cause you physical taps are higher, as true as that may be, at leat with with my setup I have a pretty decent amount of magic tap that is also quite brutal when you get maximmum amount of magic dmg possible.

I have a ratio of 65%+- magic dmg and 35%+- physical (last I checked) And It shifts towards magic he more Crit/wis/Unholydmg you get

Consider a 1000 dps for simple math
    30% physical taps = 105 HPS
    10% magic taps = 65 HPS

So as you can see those 10% are very efficient. and now do this math with COI up (adidtional 4%) and you get over 90HPS
    like I worte on the guide, I set a fixed amount of mitigation when it comes to physical (55%) and then the rest of the stats budjet goes to my DPS cause I believe Improving the aggro and sustain trough TAPs will wield a better result. this last statement is especially true cause the armor gets double nerfed after 55% last i checked

they might call it pijama, but I bet they cry about caster aggro alot more.

we tank in pijama cause we tank in our sleep.(is teh ez) /badjoke

PS. I been working on the guild offsite ( cause this one has crappy edit) espect a update soon.
    Last edited by Sidar; 7th May 2013 at 20:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    Go full strength to meet the mitigation threshold of the tier you're tanking, then for the rest, just get wisdom and unholy damage.

Although i personally went for full strength/combat rating gear and do not use any wisdom/unholy damage part, but it's just because i'm allergic to pyjama dts.
    does anyone know for sure the mitigation thresholds for the different tiers?
    Baneric / Munok / Johnkruk / Tomjones / Elgranorgo

US first kills - Arch Lector Zaal, Bat of Nerd Rage, Emperor, Cloud, and Entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock25 View Post
    does anyone know for sure the mitigation thresholds for the different tiers?
    50% mitigation you get half from armor

55% you get 25%

60% you get 12.5%

This test was done by me over 2 years ago, not 100% sure its not changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidar View Post
    50% mitigation you get half from armor

55% you get 25%

60% you get 12.5%

This test was done by me over 2 years ago, not 100% sure its not changed.
    I was talking about the hidden armor threshold you need to hit to avoid taking bonus dmg. devs on test live confirmed it a while ago. say for example the t3 minimum was 50%. if you had 50% an attack would do 1k dmg. if you had 51% the attack would do 980 dmg. 52% would be 960 .... a linear equation. but, if you had 49% mitigation you would not get hit for 1020 as expected. you would instead get hit for that 1020 plus a bonus amount of dmg proportional to how far away you were from that tier of raidings minimum threshold. the dev also commented that your mitigation threshold check did not include any of your buffs... just equipment worn and feat choices. as far as I know, no one has determined these thresholds.
    Baneric / Munok / Johnkruk / Tomjones / Elgranorgo

US first kills - Arch Lector Zaal, Bat of Nerd Rage, Emperor, Cloud, and Entity.

It feels like the T4 threshold is ~55%. Once I got above that while maintaining good dps, zodiac/golems didn't work me over like they used to.

i think t3 is really something like 53%, instead of 50. i notice a significant difference in a tali build where i'm about 51%, vs. being 53-56% in a build with some general tree

Speaking about feats and choice, quick question for you guys :

Is Improved Covenant of Arm more interesting DPS-wise than vile Gluttony ?

I know I could start a thread or check parser log, but maybe it's an obvious choice for some DT here and I will get a quick answer. I obviously speak about PVE fight, as I don't think any pvp player would be stupid/kind enough to quietly stay in the Vile Gluttony area.

Actually I was wondering if two points spent in "Approach of Death + Improved covenant of arms" wouldn't be better spent in "Vile Gluttony +" Drain Strength for PVE group encounter.

Vile Gluttony > Imp.Soul Covenants

Drain Str, even with Dark Hand feated, you can live without it.
    Matter of playstyle and preferrence.

Thank you Sidar, you really helped me playing my DT
    Last edited by Anshat; 15th May 2013 at 12:08.

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast