Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Officially Unofficial Help The Noobs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BekkaJ View Post
    "Getting Started in AOC FAQ" page!
    only if its got 'how to pvp' would i think it useful :P

Quote Originally Posted by barbaricwildcat2 View Post
    only if its got 'how to pvp' would i think it useful :P
    Actually, I'm thinking more in terms of "where-to" rather than "how-to". PvP is an excellent "how-to" topic, but what I'm asking for is something that speaks to brand-new players or players who have been out of the game a long time that helps those players begin playing the areas after Tortage, where you get your hand held pretty much throughout.

I'm thinking stuff that you don't really deal with much in Tortage such as picking your missions intelligently with the journal, using the maps with many missions at the same time, dealing with vendors and inventory, getting from place to place, do's and don'ts, that sort of thing.

PvP, like combat strategy in general, character builds, crafting, gathering, etc. are great topics for "how-to"'s, but before you progress in the game to the point where you encounter a need for that kind of advice, you need to know how to get around and the basics of how to play AOC to get the most out of it.

In addition, I think it would be useful for new players to have an idea of what to expect in terms of when they're going to want to upgrade to Premium, buy new content, and get involved with PvP and other aspects of the game.

Of course, Funcom would prefer it if everyone who tries AOC instantly became a Premium member and bought all the content right away, but modern economic reality dictates that that's just not going to happen. Gamers are tighter with their entertainment budgets these days, and they're going to want to be sure they're getting their money's worth before investing heavily in any game.

One thing I personally would like to see is for AOC to take a cue from TSW and make it so that if you buy content you can play that content regardless of whether you're a Premium subscriber or not. I believe that would result in more RotG (and hopefully upcoming content packs) purchases from players who might be able to afford a one-time content purchase but can't or don't want to invest in an ongoing Premium sub.

In short, AOC is built on a business model that may have made sense a few years ago, but now is rapidly becoming outdated, maybe even obsolete. I'd like to see that model updated to help AOC survive and succeed in today's economic reality and the way players are playing MMO's today.
    Last edited by BekkaJ; 10th March 2013 at 16:54.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12