Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Options not saving - Possible Fix in Post 40?

Quote Originally Posted by Scaevacas View Post
    This is for players that have problems with their settings being saved.

I wrote a utility that fixes that Funcom character settings XML files that don't get uploaded properly.

The old method that you use to manually fix this (deleting all your chat tabs one by one) is no longer needed. This utility won't mess up your chat tabs or any other preferences.

The problem with the Funcom Windows.xml file is that it keeps a small history of each chat tab (which also gets sent to Funcom). As players type more and more into the various chat windows, the XML gets too big to get stored on Funcoms servers. This removes the users chat history from the settings files so that they are small enough to be saved once again, and prevent AgeOfConan from overwriting it with their version of it temporarily while it has been cleaned.

To use it,
    • start the AOC Settings Save Fix utility, and
    • before logging into the game world (from character select screen is fine) press the BEGIN button, and YES to confirm that you're not logged in yet
    • Log into your character, and when you're able to look around in game, press the STEP 2 button
    • Adjust your bars/windows/settings however you like
    • log out - make sure you let the logout timer countdown all the way down without pressing the exit button - and you've fixed one of your characters!

The utility is attached to this post.
    I got an error using this utility today. Was somehow tied to my Barbarian character. Deleting the character folder related to him made the error disappear and it worked again after.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBarb View Post
    Well. I found a way to always get my settings saved. do your settings and get yourself bound to any instance, like kill a boss in Forgotten City and relog. This has worked everytime I tried and It worked for a couple of friends also.

I suspect It works for any kind of instance (6 man, raid or solo).

This works.

One caveat: I had several alts where my Achievements tab wasn't being saved where I wanted it to be. For several alts, I went into Bubshur House, killed the first boss and then logged out. All these were saved just fine. I then played for a while before logging onto one last alt for which I also wanted to fix the Achievements screen, but it didn't save. Apparently, playing for too long will create too big a chat log so do this type of save early in your gaming session. (The next time I logged in, I did this last alt right away and it too is now saved the way I want it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Amabala View Post
    This works.

One caveat: I had several alts where my Achievements tab wasn't being saved where I wanted it to be. For several alts, I went into Bubshur House, killed the first boss and then logged out. All these were saved just fine. I then played for a while before logging onto one last alt for which I also wanted to fix the Achievements screen, but it didn't save. Apparently, playing for too long will create too big a chat log so do this type of save early in your gaming session. (The next time I logged in, I did this last alt right away and it too is now saved the way I want it.)
    Yeah it's not elegant but it seems to work (sort of). I did also have a char the other day for which this "fix" did not work, despite my other chars and chars of friends were able to save. I tried something else. I tried to set everything as I wanted it, and then did /reloadui 2 times, funny thing was that /reloadui resulted in my floating bars, map window size and timer bars getting reverted to their old positions before even relogging. So I tried to setup my bars etc. a few more times and doing /reloadui and suddenly things got saved. and I relogged and everything was fine.

Tbh. My successful attempts at getting bound to save my stuff might actually be a fluke, and getting stuff saved might be more down to time playing, as in maybe the game uploads our char data at certain points every hour.

Anyways, the /reloadui and the getting bound to save stuff seems to work often enough, that I will just stick with those options for now
    Last edited by AngryBarb; 18th April 2015 at 00:48.
    Barb: Thomaran
    Hox1: Mweru
    Dt: Haikuju
    Hox2: Shugorann
    Tos: Nephertites
    Sin: Leogetz
    Necro: Viggomortis
    and others...

"The sky is green. It is because I say it is. And because I said it on the internet."

For anyone still having this problem:
    In my case none of the solutions in this thread helped, not deleting the chat tabs, not using the utility and not even the instance binding. I did, however, find a solution of my own. I noticed that when I change the settings, they are correctly written to the config files, later, however, when I exit the game, they are reset to a copy presumably stored on the server. So what I did was change the settings to what I want and then set the config files to read only (this has to be done before exiting the game), this preserves the settings even after restarting the game. The settings are stored in a series of files located in %user%\AppData\Local\Funcom\Conan\Prefs\[your account name] There are both global settings and per character ones. You can edit the files by hand, though getting the right values for kebinds might be tricky, since they use a keycode instead of a name.
    If you want to change the settings again later, you can just make the files writeable again, change them and switch them back.
    Last edited by rlka; 25th May 2015 at 16:32.

Quote Originally Posted by RlKA View Post
    For anyone still having this problem:
    In my case none of the solutions in this thread helped, not deleting the chat tabs, not using the utility and not even the instance binding. I did, however, find a solution of my own. I noticed that when I change the settings, they are correctly written to the config files, later, however, when I exit the game, they are reset to a copy presumably stored on the server. So what I did was change the settings to what I want and then set the config files to read only (this has to be done before exiting the game), this preserves the settings even after restarting the game. The settings are stored in a series of files located in %user%\AppData\Local\Funcom\Conan\Prefs\[your account name] There are both global settings and per character ones. You can edit the files by hand, though getting the right values for kebinds might be tricky, since they use a keycode instead of a name.
    If you want to change the settings again later, you can just make the files writeable again, change them and switch them back.
    This is exactly it . very easy and painless workaround. in my case i just selected all files in the directory since i have so many toons and folders are not labeled. and made them read only. Problem is once you undo it the changes are again reverted by the server. So you have to leave it as read only for awhile.
    Last edited by Spreadicus; 8th June 2015 at 23:39.
    Live Twitch Stream - Fury PvP - US East Coast Prime Time - Rated MA

That's exactly what my utility does, though it might need to be run as administrator to get those privileges.
    Requiem Nex Combat Monitor | Options not Saving temporary Fix
    Can Devs please fix:
    • new ressurections resetting the currently selected ressurect position
    • loot timeout windows disappearing before progress bar completes when box hasn't been opened quickly

I think this is latency based, probably funcom has a global time out for server performance reasons and if it doesn't upload in time it is ignored. Not many US based player complain of this problem.

Just to add a curious observation I found when using a latency reducing tunnel such as lowerping.com while trying to improve some red bar issues. I found it also coincidentally fixed the settings not saving issue.

Almost always failed when not using a tunnel.

So it seems latency/hops plays a part in settings being saved.

You can (well you could when I used it) run lowerping for free for 1/2 sessions so it can be used as an alternative to setup all your characters then revert to normal to play - but it requires an AOC client restart after disconnecting from the tunnel so is really a worse solution to Scaeva's.

Just throwing this in as another option for ppl to think about if they are still having no luck getting around this issue.
    'This signature grants me Immunity from any attempts by Geckoman to ban me'

I have pretty good ping most of the time (40 to 60 ms). I have issues with options not saving. I never use to, but since around the beginning of the year my options rarely save. I have tried every fix and work around, but it just seems to work when it feels like it. Almost seems like something on the Funcom side is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddam View Post
    I have pretty good ping most of the time (40 to 60 ms). I have issues with options not saving. I never use to, but since around the beginning of the year my options rarely save. I have tried every fix and work around, but it just seems to work when it feels like it. Almost seems like something on the Funcom side is not working.
    Re-reading some of Scaeva's posts he seems to be of the mind that it's file size related, which could also be effected by latency in that it is a size + speed (bytes per second) related thing that effects if your settings save.

Who knows, Funcom haven't elaborated much on what is happening in this situation.

I just added my two cents in as I was surprised to find in trying to fix in game network performance issue using a tunnel it also fixed the 'settings not saved' issue.

It is worth testing for your self if you are frustrated enough, it's a pretty simple thing to run.

I'm just guessing at the latency, it might be some other factor in how a tunnel changes your connection to funcom's server. I think the hops are also reduced which might have some effect.

Regardless the point is I noticed for myself that my settings always saved using a tunnel so just adding this to the community knowledge about the issue.
    'This signature grants me Immunity from any attempts by Geckoman to ban me'

Quote Originally Posted by Scaevacas View Post
    The utility is attached to this post.
    The utility appears to no longer be attached to your post.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast