Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did any other game ever copy AoC's combo system?

Default Did any other game ever copy AoC's combo system?

The question is already posted in the topic. For me, the best parts of AoC have always been the setting&style, great group content and satisfying combat. The combo system is frequently quoted as among the best parts of the game in reviews I've read, a lot of people who didn't even like the game as a whole enjoyed it. So, why isn't anyone else doing this? Or are they and I just don't know about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Verner View Post
    The question is already posted in the topic. For me, the best parts of AoC have always been the setting&style, great group content and satisfying combat. The combo system is frequently quoted as among the best parts of the game in reviews I've read, a lot of people who didn't even like the game as a whole enjoyed it. So, why isn't anyone else doing this? Or are they and I just don't know about it?
    Because most people love this right click and auto attack system, companys won't risk their chance of success because the system is not like WoW ^^
    And ofc, it's far easier to create, save money = more money for content = more players will stay and spend more money = profit.
    Last edited by xCodename; 12th August 2015 at 13:10.

Lord of the Rings Online have melee classes what use light version of combo system from AoC. But they have less amount of combos. And Lotro came before AoC.

New PVP MMO Crowfall went the combo route.

But I guess what we all mean by "combo" system is not chaining attacks into "combo" (AOC had this at one point) but rather landing combo steps.

AOC had very long combo steps pre 1.5 patch, but in all honestly people just preloaded all combo steps and unloaded it on the opponent (it was called "jousting").. In that regards the game is much more skill based now.
    Retired

on a side note, this thread made me think about something:

In fact, AOC is a quick time event action game ^^

Judging from this Skyforge has a combo system where the end attack/result is based off the attacks leading up to it. Something like Up, Left, Right would do a powerful single target attack while Up, Left, Left would be an AE attack, etc.

From what I hear it's a lobby game, grindy, short on story and long on flashy so not for me anyway but seems pretty popular overall.

https://youtu.be/FI5wlgQBODI

No one ever copied I think.

The spellweave, the tanking, the healing is also very unique.

- The aggro change? No one ever heared about it. Two or more tanks tanking a boss? All the WoW generation is laughing about that, but this is the real challenge, the teamplay.
    - The healing. What is only works in AoC also very unique. Other games are full with hots, much easier I think. Big heal rotation? No one ever heared.
    - The spellweave? No one ever used it before. Others are using builders and finishers which is boring. Spellweave is very cool!
    - The combo? They are using tons of macros. Dozens of chained spells on one single button, and they call it skill. Lol.
    Last edited by Vyky; 12th August 2015 at 21:18.
    Vykthor (Barb) - Vykthorya (Demo) - Vyko (Guard) - Vyky (Pom)

"No Fear! No Limits! No Equal!" / SENNA /

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    New PVP MMO Crowfall went the combo route.

But I guess what we all mean by "combo" system is not chaining attacks into "combo" (AOC had this at one point) but rather landing combo steps.

AOC had very long combo steps pre 1.5 patch, but in all honestly people just preloaded all combo steps and unloaded it on the opponent (it was called "jousting").. In that regards the game is much more skill based now.
    While the game was in development, I remember expecting that the combo finisher would be decided by which combo chain you used, not the other way around (choosing a finisher first and then being told which sequence would activate it, the way it is now). I was disappointed at the time but it turned out quite alright .

Quote Originally Posted by Vyky View Post
    No one ever copied I think.

The spellweave, the tanking, the healing is also very unique.

- The aggro change? No one ever heared about it. Two or more tanks tanking a boss? All the WoW generation is laughing about that, but this is the real challenge, the teamplay.
    - The healing. What is only works in AoC also very unique. Other games are full with hots, much easier I think. Big heal rotation? No one ever heared.
    - The spellweave? No one ever used it before. Others are using builders and finishers which is boring. Spellweave is very cool!
    - The combo? They are using tons of macros. Dozens of chained spells on one single button, and they call it skill. Lol.
    Check Lotro, some of their bosses need to be tanked with 2 tanks changing agro. And they have combos, they have agro generating attacks, and other things. Including heal rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by lmagowz View Post
    Check Lotro, some of their bosses need to be tanked with 2 tanks changing agro. And they have combos, they have agro generating attacks, and other things. Including heal rotation.
    Thx. I did not know that.
    Good to hear that something has the same feeling.
    Vykthor (Barb) - Vykthorya (Demo) - Vyko (Guard) - Vyky (Pom)

"No Fear! No Limits! No Equal!" / SENNA /

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast