Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tank... or something else!?

I wish I enjoyed the tanking classes more. Being able to wear all the gear, switch between two such dramatically different roles, and do well at both ... fun.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Selescion View Post
    Thanks a lot for the feedback so far! I'm not afraid of hard-to-play classes. So Bear Shaman might be worth a try.

Do groups in general accept DT's as DPS "while they are gearing up" for the tanking job?

Since I don't really know anybody ingame yet I might depend on random groups.
    Groups will accept a dps DT but it does depend on personalities and what instances they are looking to do, you can feat to do dps and retain the dread shadow as well which means you can pop the shadow out when the main tank is needed. Doing a Yag circuit you will still be able to tank one of the sisters in Caverns of Malice and the more common instances run with a Yag loop like Palace of Yun Rau you are kiting the healer or providing the dread shadow in Reliquary of Flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindman-au View Post
    Groups will accept a dps DT but it does depend on personalities and what instances they are looking to do, you can feat to do dps and retain the dread shadow as well which means you can pop the shadow out when the main tank is needed. Doing a Yag circuit you will still be able to tank one of the sisters in Caverns of Malice and the more common instances run with a Yag loop like Palace of Yun Rau you are kiting the healer or providing the dread shadow in Reliquary of Flame.
    DPS DT with DS? :-) I wouldn't accept dps dt in group unless I know that he knows what he's doing. Most of them just go wild and get aggro after few seconds and die in 2 hits. Keep in mind that DT's don't have any aggro lowering abilities and it's very hard to not get aggro when you go full crazy.
    Last edited by nedbee; 21st March 2013 at 10:10.
    aocfeats.com - Age of Conan feat planner
    Tutu - Dark Templar | Tuts - Bear Shaman | Nedbee - Demonologist

I've started a DT, Conq and BS now. I read that you get a good impression of the classes by leveling them to lvl 30 aprox.!?

Will either plan for a long time gearing up (DT), DPS as conq (while also gathering tank stuff) or attempt to master the bear ^_^

Thanks again for the information everyone and I'm still up for suggestions.

Rolled my "test chars" on Crom now. Played on Fury with my old characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Selescion View Post
    I've started a DT, Conq and BS now. I read that you get a good impression of the classes by leveling them to lvl 30 aprox.!?

Will either plan for a long time gearing up (DT), DPS as conq (while also gathering tank stuff) or attempt to master the bear ^_^

Thanks again for the information everyone and I'm still up for suggestions.

Rolled my "test chars" on Crom now. Played on Fury with my old characters.
    You'll get best impression of DT on lvl 80 with VoM AA Perk and lot of crit rating tbh :P Anyway have fun and don't be afraid to try tanking if you'll decide to stay with soldier. Good tanks are always needed :-)

Quote Originally Posted by nedbee View Post
    DPS DT with DS? :-)
    Why not? You can solo "tank" whole KK run with DS/tali DT. It's also a good option for undeargeared DTs.

Full dps DT? Can anyone confirm it's possible to play such spec in groups? I'm not talking about solo dps/tap tanking.
    Last edited by Misiuggah; 21st March 2013 at 10:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Misiuggah View Post
    Why not?
    I wouldn't call it DPS, rather tank. Surely you'll also miss some of nice DPS tools with such spec. You'll have high DPS but you'll be tanking and with pure DPS spec you would go even higher

Quote Originally Posted by nedbee View Post
    I wouldn't call it DPS, rather tank. Surely you'll also miss some of nice DPS tools with such spec. You'll have high DPS but you'll be tanking and with pure DPS spec you would go even higher
    Yeah, it's neither tank nor dps... but you don't need a real tank for KK

It's all about being flexible and finding your place in a group.

I used DS/dps spec when I had crappy gear and couldn't really tank even with full turtle spec - DS is a nice offtank and very useful in specific moments, while the added dps from tali would help to pull my weigh as a DD

not a fan of a full dep/desc 50/50 build if u look for a build that can do dps in some instances and tank in others just get VoM get a dep/desc/general build. and wear magic/crit gear when u want dps. imho its still best of both worlds no tali though:x.(i also switch gear during fight faces just have 1 tab in bag with ur dps gear one after eachother open it left click all and go dps in 3 seconds)

Quote Originally Posted by Skant View Post
    (i also switch gear during fight faces just have 1 tab in bag with ur dps gear one after eachother open it left click all and go dps in 3 seconds)
    Quick gear switching is a good way to bug gear slots

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast