Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PvP and latency

Default PvP and latency

I did a little test yesterday in the arena on my barbarian ymiraku with my buddy on. Anyway I play on around 350 latency and he plays in canada at 80ms latency.

I got him to jog in a straight line and i jogged along behind him right up against his character, actually touching the false sprite of his toon. Anyway when i asked him how far behind i was he said i was at polearm distance, about 2 squares of the arena behind him. In order for me to be next to him i had to be more than an entire tile in front of him on my screen.

I did the same test with us sprinting, and he reported that i was about polearm + 1H distance behind him even though i was touching his character (not in a weird way).

Funcom why cant you introduce a catch up mechanic to help players who are on high latency? other games have this technology like Rift and LoL, basically where i attack them on my screen should be translated to their actual location on the server. It doesnt make any sense, in Rift i play on similar latency but i can be behind someone when they are running and still land everything on them.

Understandably a mechanic like this would be easy to hack, which is why this game needs a sort of punkbuster implemented into it to prevent players from abusing the mechanics.

If Funcom was serious about this game being a continuing success they would have implemented better anti-lag technology after the server merges.

Quote Originally Posted by Xamaron View Post
    I did a little test yesterday in the arena on my barbarian ymiraku with my buddy on. Anyway I play on around 350 latency and he plays in canada at 80ms latency.

I got him to jog in a straight line and i jogged along behind him right up against his character, actually touching the false sprite of his toon. Anyway when i asked him how far behind i was he said i was at polearm distance, about 2 squares of the arena behind him. In order for me to be next to him i had to be more than an entire tile in front of him on my screen.

I did the same test with us sprinting, and he reported that i was about polearm + 1H distance behind him even though i was touching his character (not in a weird way).

Funcom why cant you introduce a catch up mechanic to help players who are on high latency? other games have this technology like Rift and LoL, basically where i attack them on my screen should be translated to their actual location on the server. It doesnt make any sense, in Rift i play on similar latency but i can be behind someone when they are running and still land everything on them.

Understandably a mechanic like this would be easy to hack, which is why this game needs a sort of punkbuster implemented into it to prevent players from abusing the mechanics.

If Funcom was serious about this game being a continuing success they would have implemented better anti-lag technology after the server merges.
    there is nothing that can be done... there is no such thing as a "catch up mechanic" lol

ping is the time it takes a signal to travel to the game server and back to your computer. IMO the fact that this can happen from australia to america and back again in 350ms is pretty amazing.

Just be happy its not a 45 day trip like it would of been in the 1800s

Quote Originally Posted by Geldour View Post
    there is nothing that can be done... there is no such thing as a "catch up mechanic" lol

ping is the time it takes a signal to travel to the game server and back to your computer. IMO the fact that this can happen from australia to america and back again in 350ms is pretty amazing.

+1
    /10char
    Rage:GanksKahn pvp 8 Tos:fails at healing

I play with 250 ping and honestly its ok to play with, just got to get used to it. Though sometimes you think youre far enough from someone to only get hit by them, and thats annoying.
    Keella - LvL 80 BS - PvP 10.50 (Main)
    Lexxiia - LvL 80 Ranger - PvP 7.68 (2nd Main)
    Sskylla - LvL 80 Sin - PvP 4.55 (1st Alt)
    Lexxaa - LvL 80 Conq - PvP 4.20 (2nd Alt)
    Esteell - LvL 80 HoX - PvP 2.05 (3rd Alt)

Everyone is a technology mastermind now a days...

Quote Originally Posted by mrcorp View Post
    Everyone is a technology mastermind now a days...
    you do not need to be a mastermind to realise that it is not possible.

How would a "catch up" thing work? if i run to the right it will put me a little bit further ahead yes? ok, so what about when i quickly swap to running left? that 40 foot teleport.

you do not need to be a mastermind to realise that it is not possible.

How would a "catch up" thing work? if i run to the right it will put me a little bit further ahead yes? ok, so what about when i quickly swap to running left? that 40 foot teleport.
    Many also do not understand that what seems simple is often not so simple to implement, or the ramifications of doing so over the entire game. Everyones an expert.

i started that game with 30 ping and now its around 140!
    its funny because sometimes i get fatalities around the corner or a final hit after i rezzed with shield of the risen
    imagine battlefield with 140 ping unplayable!!
    just a slap in the face for pvp players

Never had ping lesser than 200 so stop Edit by Anzu: Complaining. It is normal to play with ping 200+, dont be Edit by Anzu: A puppy.
    Last edited by Anzu; 15th July 2014 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerohn View Post
    Never had ping lesser than 200 so stop Edit by Anzu: Complaining. It is normal to play with ping 200+, dont be Edit by Anzu: A puppy.
    *I was born with 1arm , so if u lost one of your arms in a tragic accident dont complain , be glad you had that arm till the accident*

yea , strong argumentation! /10 chars and 3 deleted
    Fury:
    Etheecx -Necrow R5
    Ebedokles -Priest of Agrigento [threw himself into the volcano!]
    Teargarden -Sin R8
    Teagarden -Ranger R7
    Tempgarden - DeaTea R8
    Teadealer -ToS R3

Crom:
    Ethicx -Demonologist R10
    Bedtime -Guardian R5
    SponsoredHox R3 delight