Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Builds Here

Hey there,

i want to try a Hox for some low-lvl pvp. It is my first Hox and i like the Playstyle very much. What Build would you prefer for lvl 39?

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan666 View Post
    Hey there,

i want to try a Hox for some low-lvl pvp. It is my first Hox and i like the Playstyle very much. What Build would you prefer for lvl 39?

Greetings
    http://goo.gl/RvvlM

I just wanted to thank all of you once again. Your advice are gold!

I'm only 9dps to the goal I set myself when I created my hox. (1491 dps on strawman today).

So, thank you once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan666 View Post
    Hey there,

Greetings
    Ruhenous gave you the build i also prefered at 39 minis, but a lot of folks are running with all points in possession for that interrupt so you might take that build as option to.
    For example something like this:

http://goo.gl/wUfsG

Last 2 points you can put anywhere you like.

Both builds are viable so you choose what you like

You can level a HoX like an Assassin: fast but careful, 1-2 targets at a time. In which case, stuff like Phoenix Wings is unnecessary. Also, all debuffs and DoTs.

Or you can get used to pulling 3 to 5 (to 10) at a time and dropping them in 15 secs, dying and self-rezzing a lot, and generally having more fun than everyone in sight. That's what the following progression recommends. It's much harder, but it's what what we are designed to do, it's a blast (literally), and it makes the Khitai grind a playground.

PROGRESSION
    • First five points: Instant-cast Hellfire Breath: http://goo.gl/DvFd6 (You will now spam HfB every time it cools down for the rest of your life.)
    • Level 25: Flame Lash: http://goo.gl/e9DC9 (This is not a spell you spam, like on a demo. This is for pulling. When you mass-pull, you want things to die a few at a time, not to all beat on you right up until they all die at once. So Flame Lash lets you get one started with damage.)
    • Level 32: Self-rez, combo/spell interrupt, etc: http://goo.gl/VIBAw (Glorious Exultation won't seem that big of a deal now, but time before a Burn to Death finisher on a boss and watch it tick.)
    • Level 40: Our stun: http://goo.gl/VV2PN
    • Level 60: Finish your core AoE tools in Possession, then head back to Avatar for long time: http://goo.gl/mC6Vm
    • Level 75: Avatar of Xotli (second demon form): http://goo.gl/DIHaE (If you prefer Hell Strikes to Pillar of Infernal Flame, then go Rage of Xotli and Butcher instead of Reaching Flames and Flaming Hatred.)
    • Level 80 (Spec 1: Solo): Damning Eloquence makes one of our debuffs useful in soloing, finally. And now that you're transformed more, Demonic Link is much nicer: http://goo.gl/FMBIl
    • Level 80 (Spec 2: Groups): I recommend dropping Phoenix Wings and Damning Eloquence (other classes debuff better/faster than you in groups, though work in MSS occasionally if no ToS), and picking up Improved Burning Skull, Searing Words, and at least 3-4 points of Knowledge of the Underworld. There are a lot of ways to get there, but gear, attention to rotation, group makeup, AA, and content make a huge impact (to an extent not appreciated by 99% of even HoXes themselves, which is the biggest reason outsiders think our class has low DPS and why insiders think our class is so hard. (And the second-biggest reason that our class's "low DPS" is HoXes gearing like Assassins... But that's another topic.))

ROTATION (BASIC IN BOLD):
    1. Pre-fight: If desired, spam Hellfire Breath until Flametongue is back up to five stacks. (I usually just keep spamming HfB any time I'm moving between pulls. Drives some groups crazy.)
    2. Hellstep if available; or Flame Lash if available; or pull with body or crossbow
    3. Hellfire Breath (and no matter where HfB appears in the list below, recast it as soon as it becomes available, even between combo steps)
    4. Demonform if available, especially if 3+ mobs
    5. Phoenix Cloak if 5+ mobs
    6. Inferno Curse if instant-cast (Damning Eloquence feat)
    7. Burn to Death if 3+ mobs or boss. Recast HfB before finisher.
    8. Pillar of Infernal Flame
    9. If mobs in cone in front of you, then Fire Lance or Hell Strikes. If surrounded or 3+ mobs (which would spread FL or HS damage too thin), then another rank of PoIF.
    10. Repeat HfB, PoIF, and HS. If 3+ mobs, be sure to direct the HS cone so it only hits 1-2, otherwise damage is spread too thin, and all mobs survive until the end of the fight and you take much more overall damage.

ADVANCED TIPS:

The stuff that moves you from killing 1-2 mobs at a time to 4-5 are things like:
    • being able to reposition your cones to hit all mobs, without interrupting your rotation (use those long white-hit swings!),
    • remembering to recast HfB immediately (even between combo steps; don't interrupt the finisher animation, of course),
    • keeping health and mana potions running (even if for no reason than to eliminate downtime),
    • using DE, Avatar, and/or Phoenix Cloak when they cool down, and using them to kill 5-6 mobs if available
    • remembering to use dead moments (like that second while mobs regather after you moved to reposition your cone) to cast feated special abilities like Inferno and Spitfire.
    • remembering to stagger the kills in a big pull (e.g., burn a few down faster with Hell Strikes and Fire Lance) so they aren't all whaling on you the whole fight.

TIPS FOR LEVEL 60+:
    • Mobs start to get more CC (stuns, knockbacks) by 60-70. You can try to deal with it head-on with feats like Roots of Hell, but I find it less stressful just to avoid those mobs. We prey on the weak. If you want to stand tall before all with the wind whipping through your golden locks, go play a Conq.
    • Khitai is soul-crushing at first for HoXes in greens and trader-blues. Just as you were starting to feel mean again after the CC debacle in the 70s, the first mob you reach in Grasslands sends you to the rez pad. Don't freak out. Even though every fiber in your crowd-eating body cries out at the injustice of it all, just focus on lame one-mob pulls for a while, do every cheap faction quest you can find (deliveries, etc.), get a rank or two of Brittle Blade (or Wolves, if you want to be a rebel or PVP fiend), and buy the faction blues, which are awesome.
    • 45 seconds is a very significant number for HoXes. Fully feated, many of our cooldowns or spell durations are either 45 seconds OR half that (so two casts in 45 seconds). That means that you have a strategic decision to make: a) go nuts every 45 seconds (i.e., hard mobs or big groups) and pop multiple cooldowns (e.g., two PoIF ranks, Inferno Curse debuff, and DE; then just take on 1-2 mobs the next pull); or b) maintain a steady pace of one pull every 20 seconds (with one cooldown each time; e.g., PoIF, Inferno Curse, etc.). Regardless, you should always be shooting to pull again every 20 or 45 second. If you get outside that 45-second rhythm, you'll find yourself periodically standing there with no tricks, and then you die (or worse, you'll have to wait to pull. Nooooo.....). But if you optimize your pulling pace around 45 seconds, guess what, you will not only grind far faster, but you will find that your rotation will become very automatic and you'll get used to working in every ability, spell, and combo you have to keep fighting, which are the secrets to topping parses in groups.

In conclusion: You are the Unholy Hand Grenade of AoC. Find the weak. Take on crowds of them. Die with pride. Resurrect and keep going. Say hi if you're on Set! I'm always up for some HoX+HoX grinding.
    Last edited by Prima; 13th July 2013 at 19:07.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Prima View Post
    [*]Level 80: Khitai questing: http://goo.gl/7dfbn[/LIST]
    Why Demonic Leech? Those points are better spent in Spreading Flames, especially if you're pulling a lot of mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhenous View Post
    Why Demonic Leech? Those points are better spent in Spreading Flames, especially if you're pulling a lot of mobs.
    While soloing, it's not hard to hit everything with the opening Burn to Death (and you rarely live to get two), so Spreading Flames is redundant. IF you miss a target, and IF Spreading Flames procs, and IF it has time to tick (keep in mind that most faction grinding is done in poor gear; fights are usually over in a 2-3 combos), is the net damage done worth 5 points? Keep in mind that the goal of leveling/grinding feats isn't to min-max the damage parse, but to survive and reduce downtime. Is that 1-2 ticks of SL that you might get really meeting those requirements?

Whereas between Phoenix Cloak and chain-pulling and bad leveling gear, it's very common to bottom out on mana, even with pots running. Hit 2+ mobs with fully feated Leech and you have a full bar. Even leeching just one mob -- e.g., those longer boss fights that might take a minute -- Leech has sometimes made the difference between a very frustrating death at 2% and taking home the quest-complete.

I use Spreading Flames when I am Hellstrike spec, because you're more cone-dependent then and miss more, but chain-casting two ranks of PoIF is where it's at for AoE-grinding, which means that even mobs that sneak behind you mid-fight are still getting worn down.
    Current HoX: Sandspice (Set) | Heralds of Xotli: LEVELING GUIDE | AA Guide | Faction Guide | Pekka's Gear List | Tafale's Raid Guide
    Always up for grouping with other HoXes: grinding, quest assistance, new HoXes, etc.

Sorry to bring back pve to the table, but do you guys know if Possession/gen can do good in terms of dps (mostly for 6man dungeons)?
    Compared to the famous avatar/poss classic spec?

Then what is the spec you'd use?

PD: Did 1571dps on strawman today. Happy to be a dps-er, finally^^

Quote Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post
    Sorry to bring back pve to the table, but do you guys know if Possession/gen can do good in terms of dps (mostly for 6man dungeons)?

Possession/General will not even do close to the DPS that an Avatar/Possession spec will do in most situations. The only time I've found a Possession/General spec to be superior is on the Thoth-Amon add phase.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post

PD: Did 1571dps on strawman today. Happy to be a dps-er, finally^^
    What Ruhen said, and glad you are enjoying the class. Now go wreck some BRCs and T3s.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast