Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Necro Builds

These are my considerations about the feats you mentioned:

Silence of the Dead
    You want all the -hate you can get, especially in certain phases, like Toth 1st and 3rd. Of course, if you have t5/t6 tanks, you won't need it that much, but I don't think many of them are still going to t3.

Deathly resilience
    310 protection for 3 points is good.

Unholy fortitude
    Not useful at all. Pets should not take damage, and even when they do (Louhi) the debuff will kill them anyway.

Netherworld Deception
    The -hate part seems to be bugged. The utility of this feat is that it reduces pet size, and lets them sneak in when the boss is crowded, and they would have no space otherwise.

Night of Harvester
    The good part is that it removes the mana cost of lifestrike and it makes the spell restore mana. And there are not many other useful feats anyway.

Master of the dead
    Must have to summon the 4 points pets on Hator-ka.

Flash freeze & Frost blast
    Not useful for dps, but for cc, on trash, Keeper 1st part and Toth. Especially Flash freeze was very useful as interrupt. Of course now it's not needed anymore for that, but still it can still save the life of a dps, if he get's aggro.

Iceshards
    You want to splash the snakes and the demons on Toth.

Plague swarm
    Never fount it to be useful. I'd rather spend points in Infestation.
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgmoth-VDN View Post
    These are my considerations about the feats you mentioned:

Silence of the Dead
    You want all the -hate you can get, especially in certain phases, like Toth 1st and 3rd. Of course, if you have t5/t6 tanks, you won't need it that much, but I don't think many of them are still going to t3.

Deathly resilience
    310 protection for 3 points is good.

Unholy fortitude
    Not useful at all. Pets should not take damage, and even when they do (Louhi) the debuff will kill them anyway.

Netherworld Deception
    The -hate part seems to be bugged. The utility of this feat is that it reduces pet size, and lets them sneak in when the boss is crowded, and they would have no space otherwise.

Night of Harvester
    The good part is that it removes the mana cost of lifestrike and it makes the spell restore mana. And there are not many other useful feats anyway.

Master of the dead
    Must have to summon the 4 points pets on Hator-ka.

Flash freeze & Frost blast
    Not useful for dps, but for cc, on trash, Keeper 1st part and Toth. Especially Flash freeze was very useful as interrupt. Of course now it's not needed anymore for that, but still it can still save the life of a dps, if he get's aggro.

Iceshards
    You want to splash the snakes and the demons on Toth.

Plague swarm
    Never fount it to be useful. I'd rather spend points in Infestation.
    Great info I will likely spec it again with some changes
    Thanks for the great information
    newest respec
    http://goo.gl/GRl2dA
    , but cant figure out what to do with the 2 points left over
    Last edited by Braxin; 9th June 2016 at 15:52.

Just curious what the opinion of the experts here on the forums is how to best build a talent build for ranged pets that has the 16 points in the general tree for hate reduction/extra spell damage and provides the best single target DPS. Please no discussion on whether or not it makes sense to branch into general tree and how good tanks make that obsolete, or how Necros are so overpowered it does not matter at all anyways. Just see it as a theoretical optimization exercise with fixed boundary conditions.

Since I could see no near optimal way to include 'The Devourer' in such a build using four Arcanists seemed a given. Which in turn makes Cabal quite a good talent. Here are the two builds I came up with, still unsure which one is better:

With Withered Soul and Unholy Inspiration
    With full Cabal and Empower Archmagus
    Last edited by Belatsunat; 13th June 2016 at 01:07.

I'd play petless necro if I had to spend points in general tree. That's my theoretical optimization.
    Tainted Souls on Crom - Johara's Featplanner

Hushi (HoX) - Igne natura renovatur integra

Quote Originally Posted by pekka View Post
    I'd play petless necro if I had to spend points in general tree. That's my theoretical optimization.
    agree. for a pet necro, you're basically nerfing yourself, if you spend points in general tree.

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Well, the Straw Man agrees that for a fight where the necro can not spell weave the majority of the time a 'nerfed' pet necro with one of the suggested builds above is still significantly superior to the petless variant.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing a Despoil the Soul build and I would be happy if it were widely competitive, sadly ... the harsh reality differs.

Hmm, talking about reality in the context of an MMO ...

but if you don't spellweave, you shouldn't have problems with aggro, so you can use a pet build without the general tree...

Quote Originally Posted by Belatsunat View Post
    Well, the Straw Man agrees that for a fight where the necro can not spell weave the majority of the time a 'nerfed' pet necro with one of the suggested builds above is still significantly superior to the petless variant.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing a Despoil the Soul build and I would be happy if it were widely competitive, sadly ... the harsh reality differs.

Hmm, talking about reality in the context of an MMO ...
    Could you back this up with logs, details on your gear, AA and strawman used?
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Quote Originally Posted by Nephturi View Post
    Could you back this up with logs, details on your gear, AA and strawman used?
    Gear: T5 Bracers, World Boss Cloak, Arena INT necklace, rest T4 (CON less DPS dagger and Talisman)
    AA: Pressig Strikes, Decisive Strikes, Will of the Sublime, Chilling Breath, Decays of Nature
    Set's Cold Hatred
    No potion buffs of any sort except Moonspill, no use of Tome of Epithur
    No spell weaving
    Strawman: The one from the Veteran Rewards vendor, which expires after 3 minutes.

Several Runs with the With Withered Soul and Unholy Inspiration build from above with four Arcanists. Haven't had the time to test the other one yet. Each run over the three minutes I did around 280k damage, with natural variance.

Then several runs with the Despoil the Soul build. The best one did 246k damage over these three minutes.

Both numbers should be reproducible by everyone. If someone under these conditions manages to reach significantly higher numbers with the same gear and a Despoil the Soul build, I really would want to learn how he did it. No irony, no sarcasm.
    Last edited by Belatsunat; 13th June 2016 at 17:37.