Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the new subscription prices?

Quote Originally Posted by drmir View Post
    New faction zone would be great, but I do not think we got enough players to support development of such size.

Got to keep new players staying in the game, more subs better for all us...too many groups of need exp to press a keyboard button will not keep new 80s stay.
    As far as I know, the income from all FC games is still dominated by AoC since it's the only game that has the monthly subscription model but almost everything they earn here is going to new / other titles. They could have easily made like 2 expansions if they would ACTUALLY INVEST TIME INTO THE DEVELOPEMENT OF AOC.

Quote Originally Posted by xCodename View Post
    As far as I know, the income from all FC games is still dominated by AoC since it's the only game that has the monthly subscription model but almost everything they earn here is going to new / other titles. They could have easily made like 2 expansions if they would ACTUALLY INVEST TIME INTO THE DEVELOPEMENT OF AOC.
    While I have no idea how many people actually sub to TSW it does have a sub model in addition to buy to play. 15 dollars a month, less if you buy more time same as AoC, gets you 1200 bonus Funcom points per month and various loyalty rewards based on length of time paid for, plus in-game boosts to exp and currency and other misc stuff. The lifetime sub is no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeil View Post
    While I have no idea how many people actually sub to TSW it does have a sub model in addition to buy to play. 15 dollars a month, less if you buy more time same as AoC, gets you 1200 bonus Funcom points per month and various loyalty rewards based on length of time paid for, plus in-game boosts to exp and currency and other misc stuff. The lifetime sub is no longer available.
    As far as I know, the last few reports that were posted here in the forum, all of them showed that AoC is still the most reliable money source from all games.

As far as I know, the last few reports that were posted here in the forum, all of them showed that AoC is still the most reliable money source from all games.
    yup only AOC had always positive income from all funcom games
    Thanatonn - Tempest of Set

Knights Of Avalon

and must thank the hard callus of loyal players, because it is also the most abused by its creators. Evidently it is to be overlooked because it equally while TSW for example, with less care would empty very quickly. There are games and companies that have died for a lot less!
    Last edited by zujilin; 24th August 2016 at 09:34.
    Victory or Death

Quote Originally Posted by zujilin View Post
    There are games and companies that have died for a lot less!
    I still wonder why their sugardaddy keeps bailing them out. Graveyards of gaming are full of companies that didn't deserve going down half as much as FC does. I've started to believe they're a front for Norwegian intelligence or something equally preposterous is going on behind the curtains.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    I still wonder why their sugardaddy keeps bailing them out. Graveyards of gaming are full of companies that didn't deserve going down half as much as FC does. I've started to believe they're a front for Norwegian intelligence or something equally preposterous is going on behind the curtains.
    Interesting question.

I suppose the answer could be pride. Funcom is not without trouble, but has survived for quite some time, brought out several great games and some advances to the MMO world, especially with as graphics and animations in AoC. Letting it go belly up would probably be felt as quite a loss.

The pride thing may also go a bit further and have a patriotic streak. Personally, I have the impression that more Scandinavian (esp. Norwegian) players are present in AoC that the population ratios would suggest. Norway has, after all, just 5 million people, so there should me much less than, for example, French players. Doesn't seem to be the case, though, at least as far as I have seen. That probably is somewhat related to Funcom being a Norwegian company. Heck, if a company from my home town would publish an AAA MMO, I'd most certainly take a look myself. And if I had a gazillion dollars, sure, I'd invest some just for the kick of it.

As a sidenote: The international component of the gaming industry is fun to watch imho. Eve Online from Island, The Witcher from Poland, Metro from Ukraine - gaming brings the world a bit closer together, even across economical or political lines. Even the cold war couldn't stop Tetris from reaching western audiences. Hell, I haven't seen a Russian car in all my life, but some great games the best and most loved gaming mod I use comes from Russia (HOMM3 HD). The strategy game community seems to run stronger than in many other countries and helps to keep the genre alive.

Gaming companies allow a country to enter international markets without having all that much of an established industry - compare the difficutly in getting into the automotive or pharmaceutical market within a generation to setting up a software company. And Funcom, with all its problems, is something of a flagship (or only ship?) for the Norwegian gaming industry. I wouldn't let that die if I was Norwegian and had the money to do so. Norway kicks ass, but to be honest, is not of the size or geographical position to get much attention in the world since about mid 11th century, even despite the oil rush.

Also, yes, Norwegian intelligence. Thanks for blabbling that out, btw., now we'll all get killed in a freak "accident" involving a rabid elk.
    Last edited by Khaletohep; 24th August 2016 at 12:29.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

Quote Originally Posted by akaidios View Post
    Been checking out star citizen its alpha is coming along , looks pretty neat , and you know they put the money straight back into development of that game not other games owned ...
    So when it comes time for them to develop another game, where do they get the money from? Going by your imagined financial model they'd start a new game development with precisely £0 and dozens of developers, coders, managers etc wages to pay. Of course any company will pool it's money to one degree or another.

On the subject of subscriptions and ftp, I've been watching in raids, pug raids and raid finder and have yet to see more than 3 people out of the 24 who are ftp. That, admittedly unscientific, straw poll indicates most people are still subbing and perhaps some of those currently on ftp are holding back until they see the new subscription model. I also noticed it seemed to be the PVP players who were more likely to be ftp, checking their PVP ranking.
    Last edited by Jota180; 26th August 2016 at 10:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Jota180 View Post
    So when it comes time for them to develop another game, where do they get the money from? Going by your imagined financial model they'd start a new game development with precisely £0 and dozens of developers, coders, managers etc wages to pay. Of course any company will pool it's money to one degree or another.

On the subject of subscriptions and ftp, I've been watching in raids, pug raids and raid finder and have yet to see more than 3 people out of the 24 who are ftp. That, admittedly unscientific, straw poll indicates most people are still subbing and perhaps some of those currently on ftp are holding back until they see the new subscription model. I also noticed it seemed to be the PVP players who were more likely to be ftp, checking their PVP ranking.
    thats because now its worth to sub finally even as a pvper....but before pvpers has no interest in subing. Also many players that play this game are die hard fans so its obvious for them to sub. Like me, I played other AAA mmorpgs (wow, GW2, SWTOR) coming always back to AOC cuz I am fed up with high fanatsy and hentai females
    Thanatonn - Tempest of Set

Knights Of Avalon

As far as I know, the reports posted here on the forums did not split up income from the older games, so no way to see how much of it was AoC and how much was TSW and how much was something else.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast