Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Attention Crom~

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    So your saying a name offense is in the same level of infraction as cheating. They choose to do nothing about the exploiting/cheating player after it was reported, but within 24 hours someone with what they "consider" a name violation is banned, without even a warning. If I steal a piece of bubblegum, or steal a car is the penalty the same? Wow. If you agree with banning people for names, it's easy to see where you stand. That has to be the number one most petty thing someone can do in a game. I got banned with the name Blueballs, are you saying there is no rp element to that? I can think of many ways to play that off...

It was pretty much the only way the RP community could fight back against pvpers, since crashing a rp event on an rp-pvp was considered a violation to them. The "pvp" part of rp-pvp did not seem to matter to these people, anf funcom seemed to care more about their precious "name violation" than the fact on an rp-pvp server it' FFA pvp and a player can kill who ever the hell they want too. I'm glad that brand of rper-is gone, I hope.
    No, that's precisely not what I was saying. If you read my post, I said that they didn't devote any resources to enforcing the RP ruleset, so your assumption that they could have banned cheaters or exploiters if only they had refrained from enforcing the RP ruleset is simply incorrect.

Banning people for violations of the naming convention does not require resource, since all it takes is for the GM to have a look at the name. That's exactly what FC did, and they didn't even do it methodically (but only upon complaint). I hope you agree that proving cheats / exploits is somewhat more difficult and resource-intensive.

And for the record, of course I agree that cheating and exploiting is worse than mere violations of a naming policy and that MMO firms should make every effort to prevent such conduct. But I also think that a company that chooses to offer a RP server should enforce that server's ruleset, in particular since it doesn't really require any significant resources to do so.

EDIT: This is also why your bubblegum / car comparison is wrong. Here's a better comparison: in most countries, the detection rate for petty drug crime is high, while the detection rate for burglary is low. Why? Not because carrying a few grams of THC is morally worse than breaking into house, but because it is so much easier to prove.
    Last edited by Rathothis; 9th December 2013 at 19:06.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    No, that's precisely not what I was saying. If you read my post, I said that they didn't devote any resources to enforcing the RP ruleset, so your assumption that they could have banned cheaters or exploiters if only they had refrained from enforcing the RP ruleset is simply incorrect.

Banning people for violations of the naming convention does not require resource, since all it takes is for the GM to have a look at the name. That's exactly what FC did, and they didn't even do it methodically (but only upon complaint). I hope you agree that proving cheats / exploits is somewhat more difficult and resource-intensive.

And for the record, of course I agree that cheating and exploiting is worse than mere violations of a naming policy and that MMO firms should make every effort to prevent such conduct. But I also think that a company that chooses to offer a RP server should enforce that server's ruleset, in particular since it doesn't really require any significant resources to do so.

EDIT: This is also why your bubblegum / car comparison is wrong. Here's a better comparison: in most countries, the detection rate for petty drug crime is high, while the detection rate for burglary is low. Why? Not because carrying a few grams of THC is morally worse than breaking into house, but because it is so much easier to prove.
    Who's saying "if only"? What I am saying is that if I and 20 other people send funcomsupport not only SS but videos, time signatures, and coordinates of someone porting through a rock, it takes no less effort for someone to watch those as it does for someone to get a GM and have a conversation about a name.

My point is at that time they were very inconsistent with who they dealt with...I would go so far as to say certain players were even targeted to be banned. My first 30 days on Cimmeria, I think I had at least 30-40 players pretty much outright threaten me because of my character names, which I had for 3 years on tyranny without any problem.
    Last edited by Suctum; 9th December 2013 at 21:17.
    Doomsayer 2008

So your saying a name offense is in the same level of infraction as cheating. They choose to do nothing about the exploiting/cheating player after it was reported(with various SS and youtube recodings as evidence), but within 24 hours someone with what they "consider" a name violation is banned, without even a warning. If I steal a piece of bubblegum, or steal a car is the penalty the same? Wow. If you agree with banning people for names, it's easy to see where you stand. That has to be the number one most petty thing someone can do in a game. I got banned with the name Blueballs, are you saying there is no rp element to that? I can think of many ways to play that off...

It was pretty much the only way the RP community could fight back against pvpers, since crashing a rp event on an rp-pvp was considered a violation to them. The "pvp" part of rp-pvp did not seem to matter to these people, anf funcom seemed to care more about their precious "name violation" than the fact on an rp-pvp server it' FFA pvp and a player can kill who ever the hell they want too. I'm glad that brand of rper-is gone, I hope.
    Blueballs? Were you rp'ing as a smurf?

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Blueballs? Were you rp'ing as a smurf?
    No, I actually had a whole story line about a tranny PoM who cursed the character's genitals and the only way to cure it was to kill male toons and do a certain emote(s) over their bodies in a ritual to cleanse the curse daily.

I thought it was a great story...
    Doomsayer 2008

No, I actually had a whole story line about a tranny PoM who cursed the character's genitals and the only way to cure it was to kill male toons and do a certain emote(s) over their bodies in a ritual to cleanse the curse daily.

I thought it was a great story...
    I can't believe they didn't leave you alone then.

Who's saying "if only"? What I am saying is that if I and 20 other people send funcomsupport not only SS but videos, time signatures, and coordinates of someone porting through a rock, it takes no less effort for someone to watch those as it does for someone to get a GM and have a conversation about a name.

My point is at that time they were very inconsistent with who they dealt with...I would go so far as to say certain players were even targeted to be banned. My first 30 days on Cimmeria, I think I had at least 30-40 players pretty much outright threaten me because of my character names, which I had for 3 years on tyranny without any problem.
    Well individual latencies, bad netcode, etc do not influence character names where I am from.

And the RP naming policy is nothing but a business proposition to people who care about such things. You obviously didn't care for it, but at some point there were people who paid Funcom to RP in an environment like that. They were relatively low maintenance players compared to PvEers and even PvPers, so from a business perspective the RP ruleset probably made sense at the time. Now they no longer pay subscription money, and while you may not miss them, FC probably does.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Wink

I never played on a rp server, but even I have a story line! It includes time travel and me being the dad of everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    I can't believe they didn't leave you alone then.
    Me either :/
    Doomsayer 2008

Sounds like there's evil lurking in CE. It's time for some Troll Hunting, who's with me!
    Pocket Ping Pong King

Default I wonder how many letters i can type here. So far so good- No wait, here it stops....

Once upon time a man was kill.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast