Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controls setup ?

Default Controls setup ?

Note: I did searches but couldn't find a good source for this information.

Hello all!

I'm relatively new to AoC, and have only brought a Conq up to about lvl 23. I liked the game so much, that I went premium and got the Godslayer expansion so I can be a Khitai Bear Shaman.

My problem is that I'm afraid my current control scheme will not lend itself well to higher level playing. I am using WASD for movement and have my attacks mapped to my numpad. During engagements, I have to take my hand off the mouse to manage my combos. It's working OK for now, but I really have no ability to move (except rotate) while engaged.

So, I would like to establish good habits now, early in my development, that will improve my ability to move during engagements later on.

All you higher level players (or anyone for that matter), what works best for you?

Thanks,

Kevin

what works for me if keeping all the combo directional attacks on mouse.

Keyboard is for movement and starting combos/using skills

If you want to really be effective in the end game you need to have everything bound, no clicking
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    what works for me if keeping all the combo directional attacks on mouse.

Keyboard is for movement and starting combos/using skills

If you want to really be effective in the end game you need to have everything bound, no clicking
    Interesting, so I guess a different mouse is in order to allow binding of the directionals to the mouse.

It is really depends what works for you, having directional arrows on your numpad kinda sounds weird to me, why dont you go "normally" having WASD for moving and Q123E for directional attacks (you're a low level remember Q and E directional hits are enabled at lvl 40, so at the start you will use 123)

Try to key bind other ui slots to close buttons on your keyboard like R, F, C, V, G, T, Z they are all easy accessable and dont require any additional movement of your hand. You can try to use SHIFT + <insert button> options too depending on your needs.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Last edited by Redd; 9th March 2014 at 02:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Makadoo View Post
    Interesting, so I guess a different mouse is in order to allow binding of the directionals to the mouse.
    Not an obligation. Lots of people do otherwise. But, still, a mouse with lots of buttons helps a lot, for whatever you'll choose to use them.
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

You'll need a hand on the mouse in this game.

My setup:
    Attacks and abilities:
    1, 2, 3, q, e - Directional attacks
    4, 5, 6, 7 - various abilities I use often (e. g. Burst of Aggression, Irritate)
    Shift + 1-7 - various combos and abilities
    STRG + 1-7 - various combos and abilities

Movement:
    w - forward
    a, d - strafe left/right
    s - backward
    additonal mouse button - autorun

I mostly use mouse (hold right mouse button) + wsad for moving.

Warning: This setup is not very suited for PvP, as it's difficult to do circle strafing and do combo steps at the same time, as both are done with the same hand. At least for my fingers, that's a bit difficult. To excel in PvP, it might work to place strafing or combo steps on mouse buttons.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

It's really not necessary to have anything bound to the mouse to excel in PvP. I only recently got a mouse with a few extra buttons and I just use them for potions or infrequently used buffs like Subtle Illusion.

Bind as many keys to abilities around WASD as possible. Use whatever hotkeys you think you can comfortably reach without having to move your hand much. I use f1-f4, 1-6, Q/V/E/R/T/Y/F/G/X, alt+Q/V/E/R/T/1-6. But I have big hands. It's really just preference and what you can comfortably reach. It will feel awkward at first and take a while to get used to regularly pressing new hotkeys but it's worth it in the long run.

For movement, you're going to want to use the mouse clicks a lot. Left mouse click is good for looking around while moving, which I do in PvP constantly to watch my surroundings/check behind myself etc while moving forward. When you're going into combat, you'll want to hold the right mouse click to turn yourself and move primarily with W, and use A and D to strafe (they will make you strafe while the right mouse button is held).

Some people bind Z and C to hotkeys too and just make A and D strafe keys instead of turning keys (even though they make you strafe while right mouse button is held anyway). This is a good idea if you find yourself low on hotkeys, which you might if you plan on playing a Bear Shaman.

May I suggest esdf or rdfg for movement instead of wasd. No reason to cramp yourself in the side of the keyboard. It limits buttons you have that would be well within reach to the left.

Also, if you haven't already, turning off the auto face option and making sure A and D (in wasd movement) are strafe instead of turn. All of your turning should be done with a right mouse click.

Don't be afraid to remap some default hot keys.
    Baneric / Munok / Johnkruk / Tomjones / Elgranorgo

US first kills - Arch Lector Zaal, Bat of Nerd Rage, Emperor, Cloud, and Entity.

i mapped the strafing keys on the side buttons of my mouse (logitech g5), so that i can manage all the movement with 1 hand, directional attacks are standard, and for combo and abilities i use all the numbers from '4' to '0', all the letters from 'r' to 'p' and from 'v' to 'm'...
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast