Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey Funcom Quick Question On Latency =)

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    My latency in TSW is usually between 60ms-70ms from Oslo.
    Comparatively in AoC (EU) I am around 45ms.
    The difference is not noticeable for me.

However would be interesting if people who play both AoC and TSW post their numbers and locations to get a broader idea of the impact closer to where you live.
    AoC (Europe): 27ms - 1249ms
    AoC (Testlive): 110ms - 143ms
    TSW: 105ms - 143ms
    My location: Oslo

I have made detailed numbers and times for every single evening/night that I've been in-game in these two games during the last eight days, so the mentioned results here should be very representative of my experience. It should be noted that the 28ms in AoC (EU) can be seen frequently, but only in very short bursts. Equally, the high numbers (up to 1249ms) happen only very rarely, and when it happens, it is only for a very brief spike. Normally AoC (EU) sits at 58ms-72ms on average all the time.

TSW is a lot more stable, the indicated range here (105-143ms) is very consistent. The game almost always sits within the 110-125ms range, which is really smooth. No sudden spikes in TSW.

The TSW numbers are in line with numbers I had when I used played Lord of the Rings Online previously. As some of you may know, there were LotRO servers physically placed in Europe (a data center in the Netherlands), and back then, I always faced a comfortable 50ms-70ms. The servers were later shut down and European players from then on had to play on servers placed in Boston. I remember hot-headed arguments on the LotRO forums about how bad this would be for the European player base and that gameplay would no longer be good for them. People freaked out and imagined themselves a nasty experience. I don't play LotRO any more, as I felt that it got too grindy and dumbed down after the F2P transition, but I played LotRO up until recently at a stable 115ms-130ms. By now I have handed over the account to someone else, who can confirm the same numbers as accurate as of today. No difference to be noted at all from the 50-70ms I had on the European servers. The only difference was during the weeks following the transition from Europe to Boston: There was a noticeable lag, with burst spikes, ranging from 150ms to well beyond 400ms (which was not very playable). The tech team at Turbine managed to fix things after a while, and things were nice and smooth ever since.

That said, there are games that give me better numbers... WoW (European based servers) currently give me a constant 25ms-40ms. And I have played games where the numbers sit rather firmly at 200-250ms, and even that is quite okay (more than 300ms is getting noticeable though).

So if TSW is any indication on where AoC's network performance is headed, I think things will look rather nice. No reason to worry.
    Last edited by Chop-Chop; 10th May 2013 at 23:32. Reason: Added testlive results
    Chopping heads since the 17th of May 2008
    -----
    Not a single offline level spent. 560 and increasing

When You guys officially move the EU server to US ? Or I missed any info anywhere?
    We will be Serious after death.

Quote Originally Posted by RingOfSet View Post
    On2.) Funcom sees America rather then Europe as their future for their products. Listen, I genuinely think that the pop on Crom is about the same as Set (or even less on Crom...yes yes the naysayers say no but I think I'm right.) so sort of alienating the PvP pbase of Europe to consolidate everything in NC USA makes perfect sense.... if that's where most of your existing AND/or your potential customers exist. Else, why alienate the supposedly biggest customer population region? Simple, because its not.
    Funny. Tax reasons? Labour costs (much lower in US compared to Norway, or Sweden where the European servers currently are located)? Cost savings due to integration with the TSW server farm? There may be plenty of costs-based reasons for the move, and costs are what FC execs currently are focused on.

As to market potential, overall MMO market size is pretty much the same in the US and in Europe:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/15/mmo-infographic/

But AoC has always been rather eurocentric, so I'd be surprised if there ever had been more players on the US side.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

I don't notice it so much on my hox and demo but on my sin if my ping is around 100ms I can really feel its harder to land combos than it does when my ping is normal at 60-70ms. Good nerf to sins and other small hitbox dual welders.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollastar View Post
    I don't notice it so much on my hox and demo but on my sin if my ping is around 100ms I can really feel its harder to land combos than it does when my ping is normal at 60-70ms. Good nerf to sins and other small hitbox dual welders.
    most of them can only land dww on a moving target anyway, so they shouldn't notice a difference.

Hello Nusquam, week comes to an end and I don't see any information on the forum or I missed it (sorry if yes) so ... when can we expect move servers form EU to the US? Please give us some info
    We will be Serious after death.

Im really starting to enjoy this game now, really hope servers dont go US as this will nulify this enjoyment for me. One of the reason i dont play TSW is cos of its high latency and plz not AGE of conan too.

Quote Originally Posted by RingOfSet View Post
    On average, ~200 m/s ... pve it'll be almost unnoticeable...PvP, yeah you'll notice a difference if you were a EU player.

You can infer two things from the server merges.

1.)Most importantly. Funcom does not foresee a significant increase in the population for Age of Conan. (by significant I mean a total revival like launch days).

2.) Funcom sees America rather then Europe as their future for their products. Listen, I genuinely think that the pop on Crom is about the same as Set (or even less on Crom...yes yes the naysayers say no but I think I'm right.) so sort of alienating the PvP pbase of Europe to consolidate everything in NC USA makes perfect sense.... if that's where most of your existing AND/or your potential customers exist. Else, why alienate the supposedly biggest customer population region? Simple, because its not.

Overall, the server merger is a brilliant move. Those across the pond(England) shouldn't experience too much of a lag and people in both continents will get more opportunity to do things.
    long story short,there are about 425million ppl living in a radius of 3k kilometres around raleigh (doesnt make it to phoenix, salt lake city, and regina). This area includes some of the most poor countries in the world--notably haiti, repeatedly observed in the top 5 poorest countries year in year out

if we were to draw a 3k kilometre radius around sofia, ud get everything from madrid to manchester to helsinki to moscow to tehran to medina for a pop way over the billion mark, and many hundred millions more in the developed world compared to NC's radius

I'm playing atm with 130-155 ms, it's rly np ,but at 180+ i dont even think of entering pvp . I'm at the limit as most eastern EU players are. Let's see... ,tho i'm getting a prior feeling that my latence will drop instead of increasing cause ,given that in the last 20 or more updates my latency went up , now i got rly got probability to get down , i hope combinatorics will be on easternEU side
    Fury:
    Etheecx -Necrow R5
    Ebedokles -Priest of Agrigento [threw himself into the volcano!]
    Teargarden -Sin R8
    Teagarden -Ranger R7
    Tempgarden - DeaTea R8
    Teadealer -ToS R3

Crom:
    Ethicx -Demonologist R10
    Bedtime -Guardian R5
    SponsoredHox R3 delight

*Chaotic gooD*

Merged two threads as they were discussing the same things, concerns over latency issues.
    Hamsters and rangers and everyone, REJOICE!

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.