Thread: Age of Conan cannot find AgeOfConanDX10.exe

Default Age of Conan cannot find AgeOfConanDX10.exe

The game client cannot start the game and informs me that:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age of Conan\AgeOfConan.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.
    &
    Age of Conan Update Manager
    Missing file 'LocalConfig.xml' in the client's Installation Foleder.<br>Contact Funcom Customer Service. Error code 150.

I've scoured the forums and found that the Age of Conan downloader, both from the main website and from the Funcom Account website, has you download the EU version of the game thus the LocalConfig.xml is EU version as such:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    -<Config>
    -<Self>
    <ConfigKey>Universe/Client/</ConfigKey>
    </Self>
    -<Universe>
    -<Client>
    <ClientFileName>AgeOfConan.exe</ClientFileName>
    <ClientFileNameDX10>AgeOfConanDX10.exe</ClientFileNameDX10>
    <HttpPatchAddr>http://aoc-eu-update.live.ageofconan.com/upm</HttpPatchAddr>
    <HttpPatchFolder>AoCLiveEU</HttpPatchFolder>
    <HTTPMaxConnections>5</HTTPMaxConnections>
    <PreferencesName>Conan</PreferencesName>
    <UseCorePhysics>False</UseCorePhysics>
    <ClientHttpPatchAddr>http://aoc-eu-gameupdate.live.ageofconan.com/upm</ClientHttpPatchAddr>
    <ControlHttpPatchAddr>http://aoc-eu-control.live.ageofconan.com/upm</ControlHttpPatchAddr>
    <DevName>conan</DevName>
    <UniverseVersion>2</UniverseVersion>
    <Languages>en,es,fr,de,ru,pl</Languages>
    <EnableOfflineLeveling>False</EnableOfflineLeveling>
    <EnableKhitanCharacters>True</EnableKhitanCharacters>
    <EnableAlternateAdvancement>True</EnableAlternateAdvancement>
    <EnableOfflineAaTraining>True</EnableOfflineAaTraining>
    <PatchVersion>x5aea04f2ed0ec24b71465c80964c20ed</PatchVersion>
    <UniverseAddr>dm09-nj4.ageofconan.com:7010</UniverseAddr>
    </Client>
    </Universe>
    </Config>

I live in the US so according to the forums I fix the LocalConfig.xml to the US version as such:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <Config>
    <Self>
    <ConfigKey>Universe/Client/</ConfigKey>
    </Self>
    <Universe>
    <Client>
    <ClientFileName>AgeOfConan.exe</ClientFileName>
    <ClientFileNameDX10>AgeOfConanDX10.exe</ClientFileNameDX10>
    <HttpPatchAddr> http://aoc-us-update.live.ageofconan.com/upm</HttpPatchAddr>
    <HttpPatchFolder>AoCLiveUS</HttpPatchFolder>
    <HTTPMaxConnections>5</HTTPMaxConnections>
    <PreferencesName>Conan</PreferencesName>
    <UseCorePhysics>False</UseCorePhysics>
    <ClientHttpPatchAddr>http://aoc-us-gameupdate.live.ageofconan.com/upm</ClientHttpPatchAddr>
    <ControlHttpPatchAddr>http://aoc-us-control.live.ageofconan.com/upm </ControlHttpPatchAddr>
    <DevName>conan</DevName>
    <UniverseVersion>2</UniverseVersion>
    <Languages>en,es,fr,de,ru,pl</Languages>
    <EnableOfflineLeveling>False</EnableOfflineLeveling>
    <EnableKhitanCharacters>True</EnableKhitanCharacters>
    <EnableAlternateAdvancement>True</EnableAlternateAdvancement>
    <EnableOfflineAaTraining>True</EnableOfflineAaTraining>
    <PatchVersion>x5aea04f2ed0ec24b71465c80964c20ed</PatchVersion>
    <UniverseAddr>aoc-us-um.live.ageofconan.com:7000</UniverseAddr>
    </Client>
    </Universe>
    </Config>

Once I do that I start the game with both AgeOfConan.exe and AgeOfConanDX10.exe and I still get the same error. So I have to start the game through the ConanPatcher.exe which then patches the game and returns the LocalConfig.xml with the EU settings.

I run the "Repair Broken Data" option in the Age of Conan Client and I still get the same errors when I try to start the game.

I've re-downloaded the AgeOfConan downloader from the Funcom website twice and installed it twice and tried to run the game with the normal LocalConfig.xml (EU) then fixed the LocalConfig.xml (US) twice and still the same errors.

I've re-downloaded the AgeOfConan downloader from the Funcom account login website, installed it, tried to run the game with the normal LocalConfig.xml (EU) then fixed the LocalConfig.xml (US) and still the same errors.

I've installed the game through Steam, tried to run the game with the normal LocalConfig.xml (EU) then fixed the LocalConfig.xml (US) and still the same errors.

I've gone to my AppData\Local\Funcom\Conan folder and deleted my Prefs_3.xml file and still the same results.

What else can I do to get this game to work? What am I missing?

Default Misery Loves Company

Sorry to see you have this problem too. I'm currently exchanging e-mails with customer service and we're having no luck. Have you found anything that works? I've seen about 5 other threads in the tech forum with the same problem.

Good luck!

Lightbulb Possible solution

One cause (in my case was) could be an old installation of AocQuickStart.

Just open the windows registry and navigate to the key:
    (that works in windows 10, probably windows 7 & 8)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

Inside this key should be two more keys with the name of ... AgeOfConan.exe & AgeofConanDX10.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AgeofConan.exe
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AgeofConanDX10.exe

These keys are responsible for windows looking for the executables of the conan where they aren't. Take rid of them, delete both and everything will be fine again (in spite of funcom )
    Last edited by Lokix; 30th January 2018 at 11:22.

I had this.

I just deleted the *.exe and ran the patcher. It re-downloaded something and worked fine after that.
    Yangrin | Yangbear | Krem | Marsheesh | Oforawesome | Pappalegba | Yangryn
    -------------------
    Age of Conan Wiki | Still waiting for Half Life 3 - FU Gabe Newell! / May 2014 Update! It's apparently been "worked on"!!!!! #Sarcasm | PvP approach: The 'Cup of Tea' stratagem. That upon finding myself in a PvP zone & being attacked, I get up, walk away from the keyboard and go and make a cup of tea.