Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another thread about choosing a class (Barb/Conq)

Default Another thread about choosing a class (Barb/Conq)

Hey guys !

I'm sorry to post here, but from what I can tell this part of the forum is the most active compared to the others, I'm planning to come back to the game and I've been wondering what class should I pick as a main this time.

I've never hit level 80 during all the time I played. Back in release, I played Barbarian, it was pretty good but sometimes it felt rather weak. I tried Conqueror a bit and it was like a barbarian, with better party support and buffs. Last time I played I leveled a HoX to level 60. I like the concept but the gameplay feels slow with the greatswords and the fact that the whole class is too focused on the demon form was annoying in the end.

I'm actually hesitating between Conqueror and Barbarian. Like I said, last time I played Conqueror was simply better both in DPS and party support. Did Funcom made any changes before going in maintenance mode for AoC? What are the big differences between the 2 dual wielding specs ?

Thanks for the help !

I'm still pissed that I cannot create a stygian barbarian/conqueror after all these years lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Barbarian will be easier for a returning player.
    I second this
    The Law

Conqs can do very good dps in dual wield spec but most of the time they are expected to tank and that's mostly done in 2HE spec. So if you don't want to tank or don't want to use 2HE, stick with barb.
    Kaleeh PoM - Resolved Guard - Reducia Sin

Well, conqs are more versatile, you can main tank, off tank, or DPS, barbs just for DPS. It probably depends what you want to do.

What's to think about?;
    - Do you want to DPS or tank? If DPS, barbs have a higher ceiling, and are more fun to play, conqs are easier and better without any gear but boring. If tank, conq is only option obviously.
    - Do you have a guild you play with or are you doing pugs? If the above answer in DPS, and you're leaning towards conq, it should be noted that pugs generally frown on DPS soldiers, and a lot will ignore them unless they can't get a dedicated DPS class, so you'll have to play tank/offtank. If you're playing only with friends/guild/solo and not doing pugs they will probably be more open about it.
    EvitoQQ @ YouTube
    THE IVORY TOWER - QQ - Schlenkerla/Hersch

Thanks for the reply guys, well I was mainly looking at Conq because Heavy armor looks great, but yea, I've always preferred being a DPS instead of Tank (never been a fan of healing). Is the DPS that much different or is it simply prejudice against a DPS Conq ?

Quote Originally Posted by 7Trickster View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys, well I was mainly looking at Conq because Heavy armor looks great, but yea, I've always preferred being a DPS instead of Tank (never been a fan of healing). Is the DPS that much different or is it simply prejudice against a DPS Conq ?
    Prejudice against dps conq, most groups/raids will expect a conq to fulfill tank duties at least some of the time. If you have no desire to tank, you'll be better off going with barb.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Prejudice against dps conq
    There's no prejudice here. You roll a tank, you have to tank if your group or raid needs you too. It's the same for ToSes that forget that they're healers: that's what the class is for.

I've seen many people complain about, mock or insult mages or rogues that weren't able to put some good DPS in an encouter. Soldiers that won't tank when needed deserve as much scorn as those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Quote Originally Posted by Nephturi View Post
    There's no prejudice here. You roll a tank, you have to tank if your group or raid needs you too. It's the same for ToSes that forget that they're healers: that's what the class is for.

I've seen many people complain about, mock or insult mages or rogues that weren't able to put some good DPS in an encouter. Soldiers that won't tank when needed deserve as much scorn as those.
    And I totally agree with you. We expect our soldiers to actually tank in our raids when the fight requires it. For a few fights where you don't need as many tanks, we tell our conqs to go carnage spec.

What I hate most:

"Sry I can't tank, I only play my Conq as DPS" - Ok then, I hope you do good DPS at least. *searching for a main tank*
    *tank item drops, conq rolls on it and wins* I thought you only play as DPS?! "Yeah but it was a tank item so I can roll on it because conq is a tank!"

If you think about playing as a (only)DPS conq who can't tank don't expect to roll on tank items, they are for tanks that deserve it. Better stick with a Barb and you wont get into trouble in this case. Tanks are for tanking, DDs are for DPSing. Or atleast talk with the (real)tanks about what item you can roll on if you really think of playing a DPS conq.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast