Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I give up... Options Not Saving

Default I give up... Options Not Saving

This is simply f-ing ridiculous. I came back to the game thinking that the game would be more matured on its 9th year. And I can't believe I'm still struggling with simply saving options such as HUD element locations.

I've wasted 3 hours of my life and nope... can't get it to save no matter what. The sad thing is, this used to be not an issue (4+ years ago). I don't understand why it is now.

I can't save my particle settings to "show all particles"
    I can't save settings such as "show hover info" "turn off timer bar"
    I can't keep my hot bars in the locations that I want them to be in.

And before you suggest any more of those stupid fixes... yes I read that huge thread which I can't believe a 3 year old thread never got any attempt at fixing (ridiculous)

I tried logging out in Yakmar
    I tried logging out in Reliquary
    I tried Bobsur's House
    I tried making the folder to "read-only" (and surprisingly, it WAS in read-only... so now I don't even know if it should be read-only or NOT read-only, cause both failed to save)
    I tried downloading and running that tiny program
    I tried turning off chat windows

Like, Christ... It's a good thing I didn't go right back into premium. Good for my foresight. Some companies just hate money for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by razenwing View Post
    This is simply f-ing ridiculous. I came back to the game thinking that the game would be more matured on its 9th year. And I can't believe I'm still struggling with simply saving options such as HUD element locations.

I've wasted 3 hours of my life and nope... can't get it to save no matter what. The sad thing is, this used to be not an issue (4+ years ago). I don't understand why it is now.

And before you suggest any more of those stupid fixes... yes I read that huge thread which I can't believe a 3 year old thread never got any attempt at fixing (ridiculous)

I tried Bobsur's House
    I tried making the folder to "read-only" (and surprisingly, it WAS in read-only... so now I don't even know if it should be read-only or NOT read-only, cause both failed to save)

Like, Christ... It's a good thing I didn't go right back into premium. Good for my foresight. Some companies just hate money for some reason.

I know the workaround for this: log off while standing in the armory in old tarantia (other small areas will probably work too, but i didnt test that)

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by -Deukalion- View Post
    I know the workaround for this: log off while standing in the armory in old tarantia (other small areas will probably work too, but i didnt test that)

Good luck!
    when you guys say armory, you mean the reliquary right? tried that already.

when you guys say armory, you mean the reliquary right? tried that already.
    Yes, that , or where you buy pvp gear. Didnt work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by -Deukalion- View Post
    Yes, that , or where you buy pvp gear. Didnt work for you?
    It did not. I don't know what's the deal. But... no known solution works for me.

In fact, I have tried a combo of solutions... solutions attempted multiple times. As I said, it was a wasted 3 hours of no result. (and now my thread has been moved to a place where a solution will be even less likely to be presented... great...)

You could try arranging your settings and then instead of doing any of that, opening your "File Explorer" (or Your Computer, as I think it's called with older versions of windows) and typing in %localappdata% and going into the funcom folder, select Conan folder, go into prefs, then your acct folder, and uncheck the read only status, click apply, then change it back to read only status and see if that works.

I found that worked for me, for the most part. And the only relatively sucky thing about it was some of my characters being bald in the character selection screen.

Otherwise you can send a ticket into help.funcom and ask for a pref's reset. They'll have you do the first parts of that, but you'll delete your Conan folder in the appdata thing. And then you cant log in until they do something on their end and they'll let you know when you can log back in. But the downside is that it could take a day, if not days for them to spend the three minutes it takes to actually delete whatever they need to from their end.
    Semi-Retired
    Wiccana RP Forever
    Forum Stalker
    Forum PvPer

I tried Bobsur's House

I even know that the "delete chats" - solution worked for me in the older days, but if it dont work for you mmhh... ****.

Since i use particle scripts (Some UIs have implemented these commands into the Y - emote window) i dont have any probs with particles or graphics.

And in fact everytime im logging in- and out into reliquary because this instance loads fast for me, 3-4 times faster than logging in OT.

I dont have any solution for hotbars...they move like they want to..

I have toyed with it for numerous hours after that. Giving up and simply resetting everything at one point for a few days... decide not to give up, try again...

on and off.. this issue tormented me for a whole week.

But I can report that as of today, (12pm eastern 10-21) I have finally figured out a way that hopefully... will help anyone with this god forsaken issue that wasn't really an issue 4+ years ago when I last played.

None of the login/logout crap in different location, delete tabs, and/or player's own patches work. I have tried a combination of all of that (sometimes even a combination of 3 or more items, so you can imagine the effort that go into this), those advice are all junk.

----------------

The first piece of good advice from from someone that mention to go into the hidden "appdata" in your document (and make sure you hide it again after... pretty sure a hidden folder is supposed to be hidden for a reason) -> local -> funcom -> conan -> pref

The first file you see in the root of the folder "pref" is pref_3... that's your meta setting. as far as I know, there's been no issue with that.

Next, go into your account name(if you have multiple, choose the one where you want to make changes)

annoyedcustomer ->

Next you will find a bunch of character files all based on hex code. I do not know how to decipher any of them, but I DO know how to determine the correct ones.

Find the character you want to make changes on. Again, go into these char files 1 by 1 until you find the char with the correct timestamp.

so for example...

annoyedcustomer -> char12345678 -> pref_2 [look at timestamp]

Once you find the right char, keep the folder open. launch the game... get into your char. make all the changes you want.

but don't logout yet... type /reloadui ... a few times for good measure.

I think that will save and update your ui on your local folder.

at this point, check the timestamp again to make sure that pref_2 (this is your local character preference btw, so you can setup multiple settings for different chars if you want) is updated. (basically, timestamp should show the most current time)

you can make a copy of that if you want, I did, then rename the copy (backup charname) just in case things go wrong and I can find it quickly again.

make the pref_2 file read only.

that way, server side is not overwriting your local data.

And with that, problem solved... (particle settings, ui element locations, etc)

almost...

the ONLY thing that will NOT set, and still go all over the place, is the chat window. I suspect that the chat window is separate element that require you to "lock" with read-only in the folder "chat". but, you might subscribe to like 5 different chats, so keeping that static might not be a good idea.

i didn't test my theory from above regarding chat window location, but at this point... fixing 1 thing at the start of every gaming session is better than fixing 10 things. So I will take the win.

As a matter of fact, all previous advice are good. Yours is just another way to bypass the real problem.

As was already explained somewhere (can't remember if it was here, on the old global forums or the older UE forums. It may have been in the first pages of the sticky), the real problem is that the chat logs become too big too fast, and prevent the settings to be uploaded to the servers.

Most of the other options are actual fixes, since they adress the problem by trying to limit the chat history. Yours is a basic bypass, that was found more than two years ago by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Quote Originally Posted by Nephturi View Post
    As a matter of fact, all previous advice are good. Yours is just another way to bypass the real problem.

As was already explained somewhere (can't remember if it was here, on the old global forums or the older UE forums. It may have been in the first pages of the sticky), the real problem is that the chat logs become too big too fast, and prevent the settings to be uploaded to the servers.

Most of the other options are actual fixes, since they adress the problem by trying to limit the chat history. Yours is a basic bypass, that was found more than two years ago by the way.
    maybe. I'm just saying, all of them are non-working options for me. Like literally, none of them works. So in my POV, those can't be fixes if they don't fix anything. Hence ergo, not advice, not solutions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast