Thread: I'm thinking about playing AOC again and have a few questions

Thumbs up I'm thinking about playing AOC again and have a few questions

Hello heroes of Hyboria,

So lately I've been looking around at a few MMO's following a break from playing them and noticed Age of Conan. I played when the game first got released and stick have the game on DVD and the BradyGames strategy guide book and also have purchased the expansion. I'd like to give the game another try. Its part of my personal mission to reach max level on a few games so that I have more choice to play. Rather than starting back at level 1 all the time.

At the time when AOC first got released, my PC really wasn't up to playing it sadly. I had to deal with very low settings and a lot of lag. This kinda put me off enjoying the game.

I have a few questions I'd like to ask the community and will list them here.

1 - How's the game population at the moment and are there any guilds willing to take on a player with very little knowledge of the game? I know most of the starting zones but that's all really.

2 - When it comes to classes, are any of them basic/easy to play? I'd like to play a Demonologist if its not to hard to play. I like the idea of having pets/demons.

3 - Taking up a membership. I read on the launcher that the areas within the game are open to everyone? Is it worth paying a membership? I really don't mind paying as I like to support the MMO's I play.

That's all I can think of to ask. If I do have anymore questions, I'll edit this post and add them.

Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by Flamecrest; 27th September 2017 at 13:04.

Hi

The Crom (pve) server has more players than the pvp server for a start. The population has been dwindling though.

A subscription would give you a few goodies before lvl 80, but the main benefits happen after that (for one thing you can't get access to much of your gold but its unlikely that's a big problem for a new character anyway).

There are guilds out there advertising in global (and on the forums) for new players or old. Some are RP: some are pvp: some are mixed and etc. Its pretty much you can post in global or nph and ask then talk and try out the guild: always can drop if you don't fit in.

The content is pretty much what its going to be. Don't expect any new things to be coming in.

But even for a sub: 15/month is cheaper than a movie and snacks in my area...and gives more access to the game.

To get to some areas in game you would need to pay for an expansion (godslayer) but the main areas of khitai are again for lvl 80 or so. You get access to gateway of Khitai without the expansion. Turan is lvl 50 and has some dungeons that again are lvl 80

So you can try out the game as FTP and then sub up once you see if you like the game.

Good luck!

Oh, and a demo is one of the easier classes as you don't need to micromanage combos and such (its my favorite for pvp or sieges or just plan nuking things). If you like a single target blowing up things type avatar, then a demo is going to be right up your alley.

Many thanks for the reply. When I played for a few levels, that was on the Crom server. I'm going to try the Demonologist. The class sounds like good fun and easy to play is good for me!

I'm currently downloading the game at the moment. Once its done I'll start looking at the creating the character. Oh I forgot to ask! Is there a race restriction when it comes to creating the Demonologist or a race to pick?

Hey! Great idea to give this game another try. Regarding your questions:

1. Crom is decently populated, don't know about numbers but there's always people talking on the New Player Help and Global channels and I often run into other players while playing. People are quite helpful and friendly to new players, you'll have no problem finding people willing to teach you about the game.

2. Experiment with the different classes. Every class starts out easy and becomes more complex as you progress to the higher levels. While leveling you have the freedom to make things as easy or challenging as you like. If you are having trouble killing things at a good pace, you should stick to green/yellow quests and kill monsters below your level. If you want to make things more challenging, go to areas with monsters slightly above your level. You'll be rewarded with more XP, so it's worth it if you can do good dps and avoid dying.

3. Premium membership is worth it, but not necessary to explore everything the game has to offer. Free players have to deal with annoyances such as only 2 character slots, 10 gold cap and a smaller quest log, but these are not really issues when you are just starting out. You can reach level 80 without paying for anything. But progress will be slower, your toon will be slightly weaker and you'll have to get creative at times trimming down your quest log and using your gold before hitting the cap. It's your choice.

Hope to see you around on Crom!

Hi @Zeezuiper and thanks for the advice.

One thing I forgot to ask is what's the crafting/gathering system like now? Did the revamp of it ever happen? I really enjoy gathering materials in an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamecrest View Post
    Many thanks for the reply. When I played for a few levels, that was on the Crom server. I'm going to try the Demonologist. The class sounds like good fun and easy to play is good for me!

I'm currently downloading the game at the moment. Once its done I'll start looking at the creating the character. Oh I forgot to ask! Is there a race restriction when it comes to creating the Demonologist or a race to pick?
    Yes, there are race restrictions, but it is well lined out in the Character Select screen. I don't remember for sure off the top of my head, but you have to pick Stygian or maybe Khitan to play a Demo.

Hi @Zeezuiper and thanks for the advice.

One thing I forgot to ask is what's the crafting/gathering system like now? Did the revamp of it ever happen? I really enjoy gathering materials in an MMO.
    Nothing has changed. It is mostly useless.

Is there a race restriction when it comes to creating the Demonologist or a race to pick?
    Stygian or Khitan.

Thanks for the swift replies everyone! The game is still downloading and has around three hours to go.

Does anyone have some Demonologist builds that I could look at for PVE please?

Funcom did away with the rule you had to both Sub and Buy The (Godslayer) expansion to play in them. That means the following areas (Expansion & Adventure Packs) are B2p area's and have nothing to do with sub or F2p status:

Rise of the Godslayer - lvl 80 faction quest zone
    The Savage Coast Of Turan - lvl 50 - 55 zone that's a nice alt to doing the Noble District Villa's over and over
    Secrets of Dragon's Spine - lvl 80 zone
    Shadow of Vanaheim - quest scale to your lvl and start at lvl 20. A 1 faction questing area

One thing with regards to the World Boss that shows up each month. If it shows up in one of the above area's and you don't own that area you won't be able to do that month's boss, although I have heard that even non-owners were able to get into Dragon's Spine, but I'm not sure of that.

A sub get's you some nice perks; Funcom Points so you can buy the above, a monthly sub bonus (the teleport coins are very useful down the road) and then some other stuff depending on how long you sub. The comment I mostly hear with regards to subing is if you're going to play 'past' lvl 80 (Godslayer, Raiding, Pvp) than subing is pretty much required.

There's lot's of Guilds out, like said Pvp, RP and one's that revolve around raiding holding weekly dungeon runs so you should be able to find one that fits you.

Welcome (Back) to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    A sub get's you some nice perks; Funcom Points so you can buy the above, a monthly sub bonus (the teleport coins are very useful down the road) and then some other stuff depending on how long you sub. The comment I mostly hear with regards to subing is if you're going to play 'past' lvl 80 (Godslayer, Raiding, Pvp) than subing is pretty much required.
    Funcom stopped the Bonus Points for subscribers back when they 'revamped' the subscription system.

I do believe though that the 1 Alternate Advancement (AA) point per level reward is still there for Subscribers who want a boost into the AA tree when they reach level 80.