Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Ol' Ice Worm

Default Big Ol' Ice Worm

So, I'm up by the hunting lodge in the Eiglophian mountains and a gob load of level 80 characters show up. Then, one monstrous ice worm appeared and the heads of others were poking up from the ground. Grave markers started popping up.

I sat on my horse and watched. Then, I thought, hey, I'll join in, why not?

So I dismounted, targeted the huge worm and saw the stat bar for the critter was something I've never seen before; silver with a skull in the center.

That didn't look good. But, I had my HoX launch an attack.

Well, immediately my system froze and the game crashed. I'm sitting through a reboot now.

Guess I need a newer computer, but, that aside, what was that thing? What on earth did my poor level 68 HoX run into?

That was the World Boss, which appears the first Wednesday of each month and stays for a week, each month in a different region, and it respawns every half an hour more or less. By farming it you can get T1 and T2 gear, among other things.

My guess is your computer crashed because you had all particles on (in video settings) and names, healthbars, details, levels over people (and dozens of players fight the WB together). Usually, in that case, framerate drops a lot, and if your computer crashed maybe it's because your CPU overheated.

Try disabling particles in video settings, and names, etc. over nearby players when you fight the WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Patoson View Post
    That was the World Boss, which appears the first Wednesday of each month and stays for a week, each month in a different region, and it respawns every half an hour more or less. By farming it you can get T1 and T2 gear, among other things.
    *That's* a world boss?

Good lord, I had no idea.

Farming it? At level 68 I doubt I could even scratch the thing.

My guess is your computer crashed because you had all particles on (in video settings) and names, healthbars, details, levels over people (and dozens of players fight the WB together). Usually, in that case, framerate drops a lot, and if your computer crashed maybe it's because your CPU overheated.

Try disabling particles in video settings, and names, etc. over nearby players when you fight the WB.
    Yeah. I need a new computer, but Uncle Sam figured he needed my money more than I did this year, so it'll be a few months yet.

Meanwhile, I'll just avoid that thing.

Even wih a good pc and graphics card those particles can slow you down. They are fine detailed indeed. I always disable them when in group runs.

Quote Originally Posted by ckirmser View Post
    *That's* a world boss?

Yeah. I need a new computer, but Uncle Sam figured he needed my money more than I did this year, so it'll be a few months yet.

you wont harm it at all, but you still get the loot, i've farmed those WB since lvl 20's....you only need to stay in combat...
    meh...

OK, I had been killed by the last White Hand Officer and resurrected at the pad by the lodge. And, what was right there north of the pad? That ginormous ice worm, umpty-dozen level 80s and all sorts of spell effects making statues, lightning balls, some sort of huge black ghost thing rising up and all kinds of cool stuff.

So, having read the replies in here, I went in and tossed as many Flame Lashes as I could before I froze up again and had to do a hard restart.

When I got back, the worm was gone and, again, the field littered with tombstones.

But, I did have an Ice Worm cache in my inventory and some notifier called Slayer of the Ice Worm at the top of my screen.

The cache only had three bottled spirits - big whoop - so that was a let down. Though I can't complain too much, they only cost me a reboot.

Now my question is, what is that friendly personal spell Slayer of the Ice Worm? It's got a range of 100, but I can't find anything that says what it does or how I use it. Is it just eye candy?

OK, I had been killed by the last White Hand Officer and resurrected at the pad by the lodge. And, what was right there north of the pad? That ginormous ice worm, umpty-dozen level 80s and all sorts of spell effects making statues, lightning balls, some sort of huge black ghost thing rising up and all kinds of cool stuff.

So, having read the replies in here, I went in and tossed as many Flame Lashes as I could before I froze up again and had to do a hard restart.

When I got back, the worm was gone and, again, the field littered with tombstones.

But, I did have an Ice Worm cache in my inventory and some notifier called Slayer of the Ice Worm at the top of my screen.

The cache only had three bottled spirits - big whoop - so that was a let down. Though I can't complain too much, they only cost me a reboot.

Now my question is, what is that friendly personal spell Slayer of the Ice Worm? It's got a range of 100, but I can't find anything that says what it does or how I use it. Is it just eye candy?
    You get a Slayer of the XXX buff for whatever was the last world boss you killed. It is there so you can repeat killing the same boss in the same event week. You can only progress your 12 potents quest once per event.

Just set your video settings to PVP/Raid, turn off everything extra possible; floating damage numbers, names, spell particles and have at it.

To get the loot at the end you just have to damage it some (or a little) and be within a set distance from it when it dies. For example it actually spawns down the road from the rez pad. If you had died and been sitting at the pad when it died you wouldn't have gotten anything as you'd be too far away. If your case someone dragged it over to the pad which makes sense in some cases and in others it really doesn't. I believe you also have to re-damage it if you've died, rez'd and gone back for it to credit you loot.

As to the loot; sometimes it's junk, other times it's lvl 80 class armor, weapons, pet's or cosmetic armor.

Here's the thread that talks all about it:

https://forums.ageofconan.com/showth...ght=world+boss

*That's* a world boss?

Turn off the damage numbers, helps a lot in fps

the reward may vary, from various crap potions (like the one you got), social pets and vanity gear, up to t1/t2 gear, t3 relics and some epic weapons.
    the "good" think is that you can farm it, and every kill will give you a box, so, since t1/t2 drops are relatively common, you can get some decent starting gear.

also, and that's almost always been the reason for me to farm a world boss, you can use it as a straw man, to test your builds and rotations in a more realistic environment than the real straw man.
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast