Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Funcom do a Kickstarter so we can play this game till we die

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboi87 View Post
    All valid points. I just can't help it after so long of a break then to come back to the game I lived in a state of disrepair, as a gamer nothing has come close to the times I had and we probably have for awhile with aoc! Here's to hoping there next Conan instalment is aoc 2.0 hey I meant seriously why would a developer make 3 separate Conan games? Just putting that thought out there
    There will be no AoC2. They dont want make any MMOs and move to "smaller" projects.

It was a joke btw 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboi87 View Post
    If funcom decided to do a Kickstarter for aoc (hint hint) if any of the devs are listening? With a little bit of advertising from henryx or anyone who would be onboard? To get some scope of how many would be onboard and to let the devs know how much we all love this dimond in the rough. Jesus I haven't event got back into the game yet but I want the future for us to be bloodier than ever
    Funcom needs to revisit AoC and take it seriously. It is an opportunity for Funcom to rebuild their credibility. If they don’t, how can I as a consumer/user/gamer take anything from Funcom seriously ever again? Focus on a new product? Not a chance. Funcom cannot even maintain any standard of their existing products as it is. If Funcom can prove that they have regrouped and committed themselves to serious improvement on AoC, then and only then will I take them seriously on future products. I hope they do. They deserve it. WE deserve it.

This is not just about AoC. It’s about good ethical business practice. You make a product. You develop a product. You maintain a product. Over time it grows. And through that growth you gain credibility. AoC shrank. And so did Funcom’s credibilty. Any ‘new’ ideas from Funcom on new products will not be taken seriously by me. Not until AoC is where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by ThievesInc View Post
    Funcom needs to revisit AoC and take it seriously. It is an opportunity for Funcom to rebuild their credibility. If they don’t, how can I as a consumer/user/gamer take anything from Funcom seriously ever again? Focus on a new product? Not a chance. Funcom cannot even maintain any standard of their existing products as it is. If Funcom can prove that they have regrouped and committed themselves to serious improvement on AoC, then and only then will I take them seriously on future products. I hope they do. They deserve it. WE deserve it.

This is not just about AoC. It’s about good ethical business practice. You make a product. You develop a product. You maintain a product. Over time it grows. And through that growth you gain credibility. AoC shrank. And so did Funcom’s credibilty. Any ‘new’ ideas from Funcom on new products will not be taken seriously by me. Not until AoC is where it should be.
    Success of CE proved they do not need to worry about AoC customers who are dissatisfied how FC treated AoC.
    Last edited by elsunga; 2nd March 2017 at 18:22.

Quote Originally Posted by ThievesInc View Post

I don't know why you'd take Funcom seriously, or the AoC players that years ago unanimously hated Bori and are now doing something quite similar in Conan Exiles and claiming to enjoy it. They've gone from making MMOs to survival games, a genre where the standard set is games is generally so low that they barely work and may never be finished, they resorted to that just to make a game, and are becoming top dog within that genre because they're incapable of doing anything more.

And that game, Exiles, is proving that they don't need you, or me, or anyone else who won't touch a product by this poor excuse of a game company, because there are plenty of people giving them a first, second, or even tenth chance.

Aside from that, there's no one there to work on the game, the last good dev quit in 2015 and the one after him did more harm the good.
    EvitoQQ @ YouTube
    THE IVORY TOWER - QQ - Schlenkerla/Hersch

Quote Originally Posted by elsunga View Post
    Success of CE proved they do not need to worry about AoC customers who are dissatisfied how FC treated AoC.
    CE is not a success yet. Sure early access revenues covered cost to date, but they intend to invest another 100% to 200% of the initial amount to fix and expand the game. I am personally disinterested in a mix of old AoC assets and a tiresome gaming concept (survival must be the dullest genre ever invented), but there seems to be plenty of interest, so I wish them luck.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

I agree that they need to regain credibility and so far CE launch did not add much in there (it is compared to AoCs launch in the media, which is NOT good). So it will matter a lot how they handle the updates there (see how ARK lost a lot of credibility by their handling of updates even though the game improved a lot). So it relies on how funcom treats customers, which is not a good recommendation too. So i am sceptical if a kickstarter will hurt or help.

If they need money, how about going back to classical economics and allow current players to spend money for the game they want to? I can not pay with a lot of payment options anymore. I can not buy gametime cards or buy codes online like in the past (and the quality or number of players was not increased and the spam and cheating is still there too, comparable to old days as well). The shop demake did not help either, there is nothing more i would even buy now there. There are no valid customizeable rewards coming with a sub either now.

They say, that they do not share resources between AoC and CE, which is the same fishy statement you had with AoC and TSW. The way the old GD (not Bylos, the second one) suggested sounded quite workable and profitable for AoC, but it seems completely scrapped (the plan was to focus resources on crafting revamp (which turned out as CE) and release more adventure modules to expand the game world). Instead they messed up both routes now: crafting revamp is officially scrapped and the good points of adventure modules went ad absurdum with the lazy and greedy Vanaheim example.

Following this argumentation Kickstarter towards modules would be interesting maybe, they could be done with very low budget and implemented easily. Problem as with original suggestion, you would need someone with respect for AoC at funcom with decision powers...maybe it will be profitable to get some old school programmers back who know the old code and are willing to cope with the new handling (which if you believe funcom, old code was very problematic and broke the crafting revamp and other synergies between their newer games)?

About keeping AoC alive, looking at how they treated customers in the past and how AoC is a game depending on license, i doubt they would even do it with kickstarter. They would grab the money and run or give a random excuse. Private servers would be nice, but again hardly doable with a licensed game. Even selling off AoC to another company who would want to keep it alive, would probably not work, because they hold the license and want to milk it with CE now. They do not need a better multiplayer online product with conan license out there (and so far AoC is still the better game for me and others and probably objectively too).
    Last edited by Kurt2016; 3rd March 2017 at 12:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Evito View Post
    Publicly traded companies can't use kickstarter.
    Quoted for everyone who did not read it.

Also:
    cdn.funcom.com/investor/2017/Funcom_4Q16_Report.pdf
    "No further significant work is expected to be done on this project [AoC] going forward."
    but
    "The Company will continue to support the current Live Games as long as they continue to contribute positivly to the Company's results."

Quote Originally Posted by Evito View Post
    I don't know why you'd take Funcom seriously,
    I think it’s more about going down with a fight rather than sit by and do nothing. I do take them seriously. Funcom made a great game. But they unleashed something they did not control. And I want them to get their sh*t together and protect AoC. A game that is unlike anything else out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Feadara View Post
    Quoted for everyone who did not read it.

Also:
    cdn.funcom.com/investor/2017/Funcom_4Q16_Report.pdf
    "No further significant work is expected to be done on this project [AoC] going forward."
    but
    "The Company will continue to support the current Live Games as long as they continue to contribute positivly to the Company's results."
    Looking at the recent "significant work" they did (shop demake, membership messup), i am not sure, if this is necessarily bad news. AION and TSW are still up and running, too. And they still need AoC to finance CE. So as long as they keep the licence, i am betting on them keeping AoC alive (unless there will be active sabotage or manipulation to move it into negative contribution).

What i find really sad is, that they have written it off even to easy implemented ideas or ideas that will add longevity to not much involvement on their part. This means writing it off before adding proper player customizeable content or player created content. For years there have been suggestions about letting players contribute with content too, which was willfully ignored. Everything they did ideawise in CE, they could have done in AoC, too. Had they done it and then released CE as a private server hardcore survival option pack for AoC as seperate standalone addon or even large module, it would have been a win/win for everyone, imo.
    Last edited by Kurt2016; 3rd March 2017 at 13:04.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast