Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-AoC Player Stranded; Hungry and Hoping...

Default Ex-AoC Player Stranded; Hungry and Hoping...

The length of this post is indicative of what I consider to be due diligence towards Funcom.

This IS intended for Funcom developers. Will they read it? Probably not. But there is ALWAYS hope.

I am an international urban-designer by profession. If you want my help Funcom, I'll do it for free. Seriously.
    Keep reading.

-----
    I started off playing tabletop DnD in the early 1980's.
    I played RPG style games exclusively on various platforms (1980's-1990's): Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Commodore 64, NES, and Super Nintendo.
    I moved on to Diablo and Diablo II and Diablo II LoD from 2001 - 2006.
    I began playing DDO (Sub.) from 2007-2010.
    Moving on to AoC (Sub.) in 2012 and playing it until 2015... revisiting it again in 2016.
    I tried Neverwinter (Sub.) in 2016 for a few months.
    I played WoW (Sub.) for several months (2016-2017) and recently quit.
    I have never played any MMO as a 'free to play'... always subscribed (Sub.).
    My interaction on forums is minimal, but yet I usually peruse them daily.

I have been immersed in RPG gaming for over 35 years.
    I hope this builds some credibility for what I have to say with regards to contemporary online games.
    ie. content; visual; audio; storyline; difficulty; diversity; character-dynamics; support; builds; balance; new content; etc.
    -----

Nothing comes even close to AoC in the RPG genre of what is out there today. NOTHING.

I am now stranded. Not playing anything. ZERO.
    Nobody can blame me for not trying.
    There are no options for me. It's all just sh*t.
    I still have hope, however.

I am so frustrated that a game like AoC is available to a discerning gamer such as myself. And yet, it gets treated as a second-rate product by its developers. And has so since release. I admit my frustration is not just at Funcom, but the state of gaming these days in general. My frustration is, however, DIRECTED at Funcom because it has created AoC, a game with the BEST POTENTIAL of any RPG game out there today.

I know the nature of this post is nothing new... and I don't mean to open up old wounds afresh. I just want Funcom to know that gamers like me still care about this game and that there are no options out there. They simply DON'T EXIST. And this provides Funcom with big opportunities. I hope Funcom realises this and responds accordingly.
    I WANT to play AoC. Bigtime. And I will gladly pay money to play. But with the minimal support for existing AND new content, what's the point?

A game that I just finished playing very recently released a new expansion and it drew in a TON of new business. The game itself lacks excitement and difficulty like AoC. I personally found it laughable. But hey, I needed to play it and see what the end-game content was like. It provides yet another reference point in the gaming world for me. That particular new expansion has created epic business for this particular very successful gaming company. EPIC BUSINESS.

How is it that Funcom has not clued into this?
    I'm going to give Funcom the benefit of the doubt. Funcom have their reasons for not focusing on the strategies of competitors' financial gain. Funcom has been distracted. It seems they have been misallocating their resources. They have been investing into a new game altogether, before perfecting their existing products. Because let's face it... if Funcom knew that other gaming companies were making a ton of money with new expansions to their existing repertoire, Funcom would have done the same right? RIGHT?

Does Funcom have any idea of the opportunity they have right now? There is nothing out there that comes even close to the AoC experience.

I get it. Funcom makes their decisions based on what they think are 'good decisions'. I won't discredit them for that. If anything, I'm here to help Funcom and influence them to get things going in the right direction. Who am I to provide such input you say? - someone that has been exposed to the gaming world since most of these developers were in diapers. My personal inventory of 'gaming' is formidable.
    Instead of releasing new games, Funcom should polish AoC first, and promote real expansions. Produce a flawless product, maintain it, and evolve it. Only THEN should you expand your horizons to new games. Funcom has LOST tons of credibility. I am not sure what they need to do to build it back, if it is even possible. As a single voice, I am happy to contribute what I can. And yes, I do have hope for Funcom.
    At least I have that, in the gaming world... HOPE.

It's never too late Funcom. You are so close, and yet so far away. Support existing and new AoC content. Bring out new expansions. Invest back into AoC. Because you can and you SHOULD.

Take action.

Here's to hoping...

- ThievesInc.

Thats no wall of text anymore , but a wailing wall

To make it short , you'll starve
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

Heres your answer http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2017/...entation.1.pdf

To save you time, theres nothing in there for AoC or AO looking forward. They only mention last years holiday events

I second that post. FUNCOM PLZ DONT LET AOC DIE ITS THE BEST MMORPG OUT THERE. No other comes close maybe we'll get another hit when the new Conan movie comes out fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by slackjoint View Post
    Thats no wall of text anymore , but a wailing wall

To make it short , you'll starve
    “That which does not kill you, makes you stronger”.

Indeed, I am starving. But I am not dead yet.

I definately identify with several points to OP mentions and I think a lot of people still reading these boards do.
    The sheer amount of untapped potential for AoC as a game in the universe Howard created is enormous. I would very much insta-buy a proper relaunch of the game or jump into AoC 2 with the lessons learned from AoC 1 while keeping the spirit of what they started with.
    Gritty, bloody, savage combat with active elements (Black Desert Online makes combat feel epic), PvP, faction warfare, player housing or even base building like we saw, intricate crafting and player run economy (with a few safeguards (Look at Lands of Lords) and a cool questing and dungeons romp system.

Looking at my gorgeous Collector's Edition, I just cannot fathom the fate this game got.
    And the musical score must be the absolute most gorgeous and fitting soundtrack for a game ever!
    Great memories! And hopefully we get to experience it again some day.

AoC is a great game. Still, it relies on a distant, for-profit developer to produce content.

Pen and Paper gaming avoids that problem. Maybe to go forward, you have to go back. I, for one, came to that conlcusion.

Just saying.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

Quote Originally Posted by Khaletohep View Post
    AoC is a great game. Still, it relies on a distant, for-profit developer to produce content.

Pen and Paper gaming avoids that problem. Maybe to go forward, you have to go back. I, for one, came to that conlcusion.

Just saying.
    I agree. I kept all my original DnD stuff from back in the day... started collecting again a couple of years ago...and will start playing again ASAP. Online gaming is no longer about adventure and team work and patience. Its all about getting gear in a matter of minutes. Look at WoW..the game now revolves around one number...your characters overall item level. Can it possibly get any worse? Streamlining games has killed the user experience.

FC biggest problem is, that theres no one who sees through the aoc source code. So new conan game with new engine. As for me- no new content no pay.

Quote Originally Posted by ThievesInc View Post
    The length of this post is indicative of what I consider to be due diligence towards Funcom.

This IS intended for Funcom developers. Will they read it? Probably not. But there is ALWAYS hope.

I am an international urban-designer by profession. If you want my help Funcom, I'll do it for free. Seriously.
    Keep reading.

-----
    I started off playing tabletop DnD in the early 1980's.
    I played RPG style games exclusively on various platforms (1980's-1990's): Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Commodore 64, NES, and Super Nintendo.
    I moved on to Diablo and Diablo II and Diablo II LoD from 2001 - 2006.
    I began playing DDO (Sub.) from 2007-2010.
    Moving on to AoC (Sub.) in 2012 and playing it until 2015... revisiting it again in 2016.
    I tried Neverwinter (Sub.) in 2016 for a few months.
    I played WoW (Sub.) for several months (2016-2017) and recently quit.
    I have never played any MMO as a 'free to play'... always subscribed (Sub.).
    My interaction on forums is minimal, but yet I usually peruse them daily.

I have been immersed in RPG gaming for over 35 years.
    I hope this builds some credibility for what I have to say with regards to contemporary online games.
    ie. content; visual; audio; storyline; difficulty; diversity; character-dynamics; support; builds; balance; new content; etc.
    -----

Nothing comes even close to AoC in the RPG genre of what is out there today. NOTHING.

I am now stranded. Not playing anything. ZERO.
    Nobody can blame me for not trying.
    There are no options for me. It's all just sh*t.
    I still have hope, however.

I am so frustrated that a game like AoC is available to a discerning gamer such as myself. And yet, it gets treated as a second-rate product by its developers. And has so since release. I admit my frustration is not just at Funcom, but the state of gaming these days in general. My frustration is, however, DIRECTED at Funcom because it has created AoC, a game with the BEST POTENTIAL of any RPG game out there today.

I know the nature of this post is nothing new... and I don't mean to open up old wounds afresh. I just want Funcom to know that gamers like me still care about this game and that there are no options out there. They simply DON'T EXIST. And this provides Funcom with big opportunities. I hope Funcom realises this and responds accordingly.
    I WANT to play AoC. Bigtime. And I will gladly pay money to play. But with the minimal support for existing AND new content, what's the point?

A game that I just finished playing very recently released a new expansion and it drew in a TON of new business. The game itself lacks excitement and difficulty like AoC. I personally found it laughable. But hey, I needed to play it and see what the end-game content was like. It provides yet another reference point in the gaming world for me. That particular new expansion has created epic business for this particular very successful gaming company. EPIC BUSINESS.

How is it that Funcom has not clued into this?
    I'm going to give Funcom the benefit of the doubt. Funcom have their reasons for not focusing on the strategies of competitors' financial gain. Funcom has been distracted. It seems they have been misallocating their resources. They have been investing into a new game altogether, before perfecting their existing products. Because let's face it... if Funcom knew that other gaming companies were making a ton of money with new expansions to their existing repertoire, Funcom would have done the same right? RIGHT?

Does Funcom have any idea of the opportunity they have right now? There is nothing out there that comes even close to the AoC experience.

I get it. Funcom makes their decisions based on what they think are 'good decisions'. I won't discredit them for that. If anything, I'm here to help Funcom and influence them to get things going in the right direction. Who am I to provide such input you say? - someone that has been exposed to the gaming world since most of these developers were in diapers. My personal inventory of 'gaming' is formidable.
    Instead of releasing new games, Funcom should polish AoC first, and promote real expansions. Produce a flawless product, maintain it, and evolve it. Only THEN should you expand your horizons to new games. Funcom has LOST tons of credibility. I am not sure what they need to do to build it back, if it is even possible. As a single voice, I am happy to contribute what I can. And yes, I do have hope for Funcom.
    At least I have that, in the gaming world... HOPE.

It's never too late Funcom. You are so close, and yet so far away. Support existing and new AoC content. Bring out new expansions. Invest back into AoC. Because you can and you SHOULD.

Take action.

Here's to hoping...

- ThievesInc.

It's amazing to me the incredible attention to detail Funcom put into AoC and TSW. A living, beating heart and soul of sheer artistry that no other game I've played can touch. Sadly either people don't see it, don't care, can't or won't handle a game with actual difficulty and more than faceroll the keyboard mechanics and/or let technical issues, whether the game's fault or their own, turn them away. What the solution to that is I don't know. Apparently juvenile, easy mode high fantasy and to a lesser extent sci-fi are the only real money makers. My God... have you played SW:ToR lately? Last time I tried I just walked through the world while my companion killed everything. What the actual !@#$? This is what passes for a game nowadays?? And it's actually popular??? Just turn on God mode and be done with it.

Certainly AoC would be one helluva game if Funcom had invested their money in it instead of in other projects. The question is, would it have made that money back and that's a great big maybe. Maybe if they could have gotten technical issues ironed out faster and/or gotten new content out faster. But for whatever reason that didn't happen and at some point, as population bleeds away, there's no saving it without Star Citizen amounts of cash that it will never make back. Certain realities dictate what you do to put food on the table. Aka I'm sure the devs would have loved to make AoC the best game ever(tm) and hated to see the opportunity go after putting so much into it to start with.

I'm simultaneously glad that Exiles is doing well for them and sad that it takes a game of that nature to do so. But in it's defense it is just good, clean debauchery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast