Thread: Cimmerian dark templars

Default Cimmerian dark templars

Hi!

I had to ask this I just get get over with it since I started to play maybe a week ago and started to delve into the game and the lore (well I already read REH stories: Conan, Solomon Kane, Kull).

I did not found any topic about this. I wonder how come that cimmerians can become dark templars. They shun the use of magic let alone dark magic, and the AoC wiki says on the DT page: "The dark templar's fighting prowess, coupled with unholy spells, makes them a force to be reckoned with."

ageofconan.com says: "...sold their humanity for unholy might, the power to feed upon the life of their enemies, spells that can reflect enemy attacks and unnatural powers of rejuvenation that have a darker, nightmarish twist to them." "...capability of an expert soldier and wield vile sorcery."

Ok, not every cimmerians are the same, they are not a hive-mind and we could say there are some who dont loath evil sorcery. But with that thinking we should be able to start cimmerian demonogists and necromancers, shouldnt we? As far as my noob knowledge extends races are only for RP flavor, they dont bring numbers (like cimmerian: +5% strength, -5% willpower).

Any justification?

ty

No justification from my point of view. DT should have been aquilonian and stygian restricted but Funcom barred the soldier archetype access to stygian when game launched.

Quote Originally Posted by Damodred View Post
    No justification from my point of view. DT should have been aquilonian and stygian restricted but Funcom barred the soldier archetype access to stygian when game launched.
    I want my Vanir ninja-berserk! Seriously though not sure the locking archetypes to certain races is justified by something in books or lore. All races had sorcerers/wizards/witches or conquerors or priests. Worst locks are on DTs and Priests of Mitra.

The class/race limitations in AoC don't make much sense at all, I actually discussed this with a dev a few years ago who agreed with me. Stygians not having access to soldiers when there are plenty of NPC examples doesn't make much sense (hell, even Stygian barb would make sense, not every Stygian needs to be a priest/noble, and there are plenty of examples of savage tribes in Stygia). There are also plenty of Aquilonian (and Nemedian, similar culture) sorcerers, so even if it's not acceptable 'socially' in Aquilonia, Aquilonian mages would make sense. Funcom actually recorded dialogue that supports Khitans having access to every class except BS (strangely enough), so Khitan Conq/Barb/ToS/PoM was plannned as well. Particularly silly is the fact that one of the most prominent characters in the game, Keaira, is obviously a Cimmerian Assassin, yet that combo isn't allowed.

As for Cimmerian DTs, I always imagined DTs as having a 'magical background' that is much more up to the player/roleplay than with the mage/priest classes which have a more defined lore. One DT could for example be a standard Set worshipping mage who happens to also be a soldier, another might for example be a soldier without innate powers who was (willingly or unwillingly) possessed (and empowered) by a demon/ghost/wicked spirit. So, basically, while a HoX *must* be a Xotli worshipper, a DT has more freedom and can have whatever source of dark power the player wants, and some of these sources would be available to a Cimmerian as well (though perhaps not a stereotypical Cimmerian).

No true cimmerian would become a Dark Templar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormarc View Post
    Hi!

I had to ask this I just get get over with it since I started to play maybe a week ago and started to delve into the game and the lore (well I already read REH stories: Conan, Solomon Kane, Kull).

I did not found any topic about this. I wonder how come that cimmerians can become dark templars. They shun the use of magic let alone dark magic, and the AoC wiki says on the DT page: "The dark templar's fighting prowess, coupled with unholy spells, makes them a force to be reckoned with."

ageofconan.com says: "...sold their humanity for unholy might, the power to feed upon the life of their enemies, spells that can reflect enemy attacks and unnatural powers of rejuvenation that have a darker, nightmarish twist to them." "...capability of an expert soldier and wield vile sorcery."

Ok, not every cimmerians are the same, they are not a hive-mind and we could say there are some who dont loath evil sorcery. But with that thinking we should be able to start cimmerian demonogists and necromancers, shouldnt we? As far as my noob knowledge extends races are only for RP flavor, they dont bring numbers (like cimmerian: +5% strength, -5% willpower).

Any justification?

ty

the dark templar was intended to be stygian but someone pooped the bed
    Live Twitch Stream - Fury PvP - US East Coast Prime Time - Rated MA

Quote Originally Posted by Laethiel View Post
    the dark templar was intended to be stygian but someone pooped the bed
    Aye! For me - as a newcomer REH fan - also feels very "stygianish".

I couldn't care less what race did what.

Quote Originally Posted by Jota180 View Post
    I couldn't care less what race did what.
    Great spirit! Great imagination!

Quote Originally Posted by Cormarc View Post
    Great spirit! Great imagination!
    If you want to pretend you're some race that never existed, go for it. I don't play games like that and as such don't care.