Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 pvp builds

Quote Originally Posted by Jerohn View Post
    Why do you use forked lightning with aoe spec? Its nearly useless because you should have sf active most time of your fight what makes LS not usable.
    dude... LOLL

are you baiting/trolling us?

and to OP:

fangs is incredible strong when you just use it all the time, with a decent timing. Combine it with your other CCs on multiple targets, or disable a single target for 10 seconds +++ can turn a fight completely, EVERY MINUTE you have this opportunity. it's immense, just play with it, and you'll understand.

if there's a good conq/guard/barb on the other team? your team needs you 100% to disable that one scary backline harrasser every minute. ask amneru about it
    Last edited by Lurvi; 12th August 2016 at 15:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanaton View Post
    I know all those thing but thanks I am pvp 8 and I do decent now.....just fangs seems to be great in 1vs1 and bad in oh **** situations like when 3 pple on you. for AAs I use always forked lightening and switch for constriction or lull depending on other team (if two or more barbs then lull) I feated also brain spasm but dunno if I have to precast it or cast it when I am rooted and there is only slim chance i guess with 1/5 points in it.
    If you find many people on you, you have quicksand and eye of the storm. Sometimes you have to accept the fact that as a tos you wil be a primary target and if you're getting focused it wont matter how good you are. You're going down if your team isn't helping you. A good team will guard their healer vigorously.

Fangs is great in all situations. The key is learning how to utilize it properly. Don't forget , when you apply fangs to an enemy player it will grant them (provided you maxed out fangs) 90% miss chance for x amount of seconds. There is still a 10% chance they can hit you so it isn't guaranteed and sometimes you will get hit anyway because of that chance but 9 times out of ten it will work and you'll shut down an attacking player.

Also of note Fangs works as a short range AOE ability meaning if you have 3 guys on you and they are right on you and you hit one with fangs , it is applied to all targets near your target. I think the range is 3m? (unless they changed this mechanic but I haven't heard they did.) The max targets is 3 I believe. I will check to be sure this isn't changed and update if need be.

Bear in mind however that once fangs is cast on an enemy that player will receive a "fangs immunity" (like a cc immunity) for a period of time (45 seconds I believe?) once the debuff wears off so you wont be able to spam it on the same target over and over which makes it actually NOT that awesome for 1v1s. I mean it's good in 1v1 but a good melee player/ranger will wait it out and then be immune to it long enough to bash your head in or fill you full of arrows.

On the positive side the cooldown is low and it can be reused many times in a match vs many players. I cant count how many times I have used fangs not just to get an enemy melee player off me or to shut down a ranger from afar but also to assist a teammate who is under attack. A good tos looks out for his team as well as him/her self. It can be game changing and people will recognize it and thank you profusely for it.

Forked lightning in my opinion is not that great but to each their own. I used to use coils until i discovered lull/constriction. It was actually referred to me by a NON tos playing guild mate who swore constantly how much he hated being hit by it. He was right.

Brain spasms is not really worth the feat points in my opinion as someone who has been playing my tos since launch. It is meant to be cast before you get cced. I would not even bother with that feat. your points can be used much more wisely elsewhere. With rank 5 deliverance to break any cc and rousing shock to break stuns you really only need to worry about knockbacks which can be avoided if you backstep at the right time or have eots running.

At the end of the day every dedicated tos has a unique playstyle so you will get varying opinions on what is best and what isn't. Some tos will swear that a ls build is the best. Others insist aoe is best etc etc.

Keep in mind they are only opinions. It's up to you to experiment with different builds and find the right fit for yourself. A build that works great for one tos might not be great for another. I spent years experimenting with builds over the course of changes to the class and my own improvements skill wise. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

That being said, we can only show you the door, You have to walk through it.

Good luck
    Last edited by Laethiel; 12th August 2016 at 16:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Aett View Post
    One of my favorite PvP builds:
    http://goo.gl/dZ1Ooz
    +1

I've used a slight variation of that build exclusively since Pvp0. Life was really hard until I hit 6 and got the T2 shield.
    I'd imagine that with store bought gear people can slip right into it now.

http://goo.gl/ZkYvq9

If you move to this type of build and miss your forked lightning be sure not to overlook Lightning Cast. It's great for getting an instant lightning strike on someone fleeing that has a sliver of life left or helping keep that green up for the team while you're busy trying to dodge multiple people that are focusing you.

-Bryish

Quote Originally Posted by Laethiel View Post
    What rank are you in pvp currently? If you are below rank 7 or 8 I would highly recommend using a bubble spec. 7 - 10 i have other recommendations.

For low rank pvp bubble spec is a must if you don't want to get melted, if you are exceptionally skilled that's another story

Bubble build

To use fangs properly you need to be adept at tab targeting, which basically means you need to be able to target the right enemy at any given time. If you can do this then fangs is fantastic. Below is my current build for pvp.

Current build

Some tips

Fangs works on rangers as well as any melee class. Does not work on magic users unless they are trying to wack you with their staff

Static blood is great, I use it often, it changes elec dmg you do to healing for yourself. makes you more tanky. Plus it does retributive damage meaning the guy hitting you is hurting himself too.

power of the serpent ring is great for negating assassin detonation. Just use it whenever a sin starts hitting you, most of the time they'll plant the bomb on you right at the go. just fyi you do not need to expertly time this. It will negate the sins detonation as long as you hit it once the sin casts grim corruption on you which is usually their opener attack, Like i said most times sins will plant the bomb right then because bomb has a 5 second timer before it goes off, If you use potsr after bomb is planted during the countdown it will negate the explosion regardless, good sins will wait. Just learn who you're dealing with and adapt.

empowered life of set amps up your dmg every time you cast a heal

Rousing shock is a must have for obvious reasons

3 points in stun because the more you have the longer they are stunned. im sure you know all of this but for any future tos hwo may be curious.

For AAS I use the following

Chromatic warding rank 5 <-- makes you tankier
    Field of war rank 5 <-- This increases your base dps and you can literally feel the difference when it's removed.
    Deliverance rank 5<-- duh
    Steadfast faith rank 5 <--- i am the only tos i know who uses this in pvp, It is not just for pve. Stripping elemental debuffs makes you harder to kill.
    Constriction rank 5
    Lull rank 5

Any player will tell you how much maxed stun with constriction sucks for them. It ends up being like a 15 second stun/snare if not broken

Lull lets you run around with eye up and once you get that up you can become a wrecking ball.

Let us know how you fare.
    I just get error when i click your builds :/

Steadfast faith rank 5 <--- i am the only tos i know who uses this in pvp, It is not just for pve. Stripping elemental debuffs makes you harder to kill.
    most good toses I know use it (not so many, so I guess you're correct we don't see it in use too often...)

totally important to instantly remove chaotic blast debuff from demo, or if you see opposing tos did curse of set on your entire team.
    but it's not only on those situations, if you have a conq on your ass, and he uses breach on you, you can remove that pesky 15% debuff aswell, same with pom thinking he can burst you down after using avert thine eyes. or if your tank/flagger is getting focused and has multiple of those debuffs!

Brain spasms is not really worth the feat points in my opinion as someone who has been playing my tos since launch. It is meant to be cast before you get cced. I would not even bother with that feat. your points can be used much more wisely elsewhere. With rank 5 deliverance to break any cc and rousing shock to break stuns you really only need to worry about knockbacks which can be avoided if you backstep at the right time or have eots running.
    you know, brain spasm does more than it says in the feat tree description. the spell is funcommed =)
    Last edited by Lurvi; 13th August 2016 at 12:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Beggar View Post
    I just get error when i click your builds :/
    Thanks for the headsup, i fixed the links.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurvi View Post
    most good toses I know use it (not so many, so I guess you're correct we don't see it in use too often...)

totally important to instantly remove chaotic blast debuff from demo, or if you see opposing tos did curse of set on your entire team.
    but it's not only on those situations, if you have a conq on your ass, and he uses breach on you, you can remove that pesky 15% debuff aswell, same with pom thinking he can burst you down after using avert thine eyes. or if your tank/flagger is getting focused and has multiple of those debuffs!

you know, brain spasm does more than it says in the feat tree description. the spell is funcommed =)
    Yes all this is true in regards to SFF. Very useful tool in pvp. Most tos i used to tell would laugh at me for using it then wonder why i'm so tanky.

Isn't brain spasms broken? I remember having a problem with it last time I tried it. Like the spell would not activate and I would have to keep clicking it over and over til it activated. idk to me it just isn't worth the feats, not even one point.

and to OP. Please do yourself a favor and stay out of general tree. If you're doing a pve build then go for it but trying to be a healbot in pvp is not the way to be an effective tos.
    Last edited by Laethiel; 13th August 2016 at 13:16.

proc the deflection buff (by getting rooted or snared while having brain spasms up) and read what that buff does =))) it's broken, just not in the way you're thinking

and sure, it has to be used pre-emptively, but these days there are so many hoxes around, and they very often just do the root first thing. ranger traps. then there also are spells you can react to. it's not always you succeed, but if you do...

those 5 points in improved lightning call aren't all needed. you don't even feat into lightning cast either, which is 100% a mistake, but I had that discussion countless times already, lol.
    Last edited by Lurvi; 13th August 2016 at 13:43.

proc the deflection buff (by getting rooted or snared while having brain spasms up) and read what that buff does =))) it's broken, just not in the way you're thinking

and sure, it has to be used pre-emptively, but these days there are so many hoxes around, and they very often just do the root first thing. ranger traps. then there also are spells you can react to. it's not always you succeed, but if you do...
    Still doesn't seem worth it for a deflection buff, maybe for the magic damage boost but you said it's broken. Could you elaborate? It seems to me to have a good chance of this proc going off you would need the most points invested. This would come with a cost. Rooting and snares are not really a problem. Deliverance maxed rank is efficient enough to break out of those and static blood does a good deal of retributive damage on demand.

those 5 points in improved lightning call aren't all needed. you don't even feat into lightning cast either, which is 100% a mistake, but I had that discussion countless times already, lol.

No the 5 points aren't "needed". There weren't (in my opinion) any better options to unlock fangs and i like the punch call lightning packs with it. Chalk it up to choice.

I don't use lightning strike in pvp except when dpsing a totem. In a previous post however I did mention that some tempests have different preferences in pvp so if LS is one of yours I wont fault you for it. Some can/have been able to pull it off well.

That being said, feating into lightning cast is a waste of points for me. When I need to hit someone at range I have call lightning, column lightning, charged blast as a finisher and sparks which is meh but something. Additionally all of those can be used with storm field running. The only benefit I could see from it would be an instant healing lotus but the ability itself would require an additional hotkey/step to activate. I already have so many hotkeys its ridiculous. I have had to resort to macros to combine abilities to one key. (I use a speedpad not a standard keyboard) Again in my view, that particular feat is not worth the points for pvp but to each their own.

But you did get me thinking and I think I will make a slight adjustment to my build. Maybe move a few points from improved call lightning over to thunder storm. The damage increase buff from thunderhead and storm crown should be decent. Surprised I didn't think of it before. Thanks.
    Last edited by Laethiel; 13th August 2016 at 14:30.

it gives full stun, fear and silence immunity for the duration of deflection/magic dmg buff aswell, so go ahead, neglect it, just cause you've played tos since release and "don't see a need for it"

usually you'll do healing lotus as a fight is about to emerge, now after 25 seconds, your team is gonna need another application of it. you can't do that if you're getting focused, or sprint somewhere, be it kiting, or to land aoes. Or even if you're about to DIE, you can atleast get it off before you die.

over half my lightning cast greens are mid battle, when I'd rather be doing other stuff instead. Like you say, tos has a lot of spells, and you want to open up the time to use them.

then there are other cases where you want to finish off a target that ran away after you did your aoes, and we all know stormfield runs out eventually, and its usually at that point you can do 1-2k hits/crits with lightning strike, before they can hide, or finish you off.

I've won duels vs. assassins countless times cause of lightning cast, rangers and bs duels too, are most common, but vs. any class really it can be that little extra burst needed just as stormfield expired!
    Last edited by Lurvi; 13th August 2016 at 17:02.

it gives full stun, fear and silence immunity for the duration of deflection/magic dmg buff aswell, so go ahead, neglect it, just cause you've played tos since release and "don't see a need for it"
    "Slip free" doesn't say anything about granting a cc immunity. It states it gives a dmg bonus and deflection for 15 seconds. Are you saying it grants a 15 second cc immunity to those 3 ccs on top of the damage bonus and deflection? How many points did you invest in this particular spell?

over half my lightning cast greens are mid battle, when I'd rather be doing other stuff instead. Like you say, tos has a lot of spells, and you want to open up the time to use them.

I'm not entirely convinced it's worth getting but I'm not beyond considering advice from other tempests when offered so I'll do some investigating tonight with lightning cast and let you know what I think.

Edit: so I tried slip free/braiin spasms.. Its ****.

Lightning cast may yet grow on me though.
    Last edited by Laethiel; 13th August 2016 at 23:00.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast