Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You know you're on crom when

Those screenshots are hilarious. I, too, often am amazed what people do to make their game as hard as possible.

But... We have to remember that some people bring back characters from the good old times, when equipping a mage with physical damage gear actually made sense. Especially necro damage was so low that many saw it as an improvement to equip +combat rating and +dex and use a crossbow.

You can still see traces of this in the current game: There's a permanent debuff for Weapon Damage (ranged) on mages - if I remember correctly, that was introduced to stop that crazyness from happening.

So, if you see a necromancer in old school equipment and crossbow equipment, he or she may actually have been a top player seven years ago, although it looks noobish today.

Weird, eh?
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

Quote Originally Posted by Khaletohep View Post

You can still see traces of this in the current game: There's a permanent debuff for Weapon Damage (ranged) on mages - if I remember correctly, that was introduced to stop that crazyness from happening.

So, if you see a necromancer in old school equipment and crossbow equipment, he or she may actually have been a top player seven years ago, although it looks noobish today.

Weird, eh?
    This sounds typically funcom design. Instead of encouraging diversity and options (crossbow workaround, use of other attributes than main one) and instead of adressing a flawed design balance (necro damage so low that a crossbow is better????), they enforce and nerf.

Still the dex necro does not sound so bad, if you look at the feat tree for mages, especially necros, they have some things to boost their evasion. So why not boost it with gear as well, if you are going to be a pet necro for example? In the past 15% evasion could have made a difference (before the hitcrit explosion in 2011).

And you never know what resources returning or new players have. They might have offline levelled or used gifts as well. And i am fine as well with people creating extra challenges or trying other routes. Or it is simply a sign, that they want better and more fitting gear? Better to have badly or "wrongly" geared people playing actively and supporting a group, than having elitist t6 geared people complaining and bullying or even worse, going to afk or actively sabotaging (which does not mean, that the "wrongly" geared people can not afk, bully or sabotage as well! But then you should see, that the person or design is the problem, not the gear mainly).
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 12th July 2016 at 07:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    This sounds typically funcom design. Instead of encouraging diversity and options (crossbow workaround, use of other attributes than main one) and instead of adressing a flawed design balance (necro damage so low that a crossbow is better????), they enforce and nerf.
    In fact, they adressed the flawed design balance: they introduced Despoil The Soul. It can hardly be seen as a nerf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Quote Originally Posted by Nephturi View Post
    In fact, they adressed the flawed design balance: they introduced Despoil The Soul. It can hardly be seen as a nerf.
    Yes, if you forget that after that they nerfed the calculations mainly for necros on how basic magic damage is treated in damage calculations and how much damage the standard spells do now without critweaving. Just compare how much damage a necro with say...2000 magic damage does compared to a demo with same amount. Sure necros do more damage than without it, but it feels flawed, badly scaling with level and inbalanced now (like: to do real damage you will need crits and spellweave).

Since necro gear actually gives crit rating and crit damage, it's a good thing the class doesn't work as an ice/unholy demo copy. And I'm sure a NF necro deals as much damage as a demo if both are not spellweaving.

As for the whole magic damage calculation thing, I'll have to look into the patch notes. The only real nerf I can remember on basic NF dps output is the loss of 200 magic damage with a 8-stack of DtS. It was the 1.05 update or not long after that, and it was needed since NF necros were doing way too much damage before, especially in pvp.
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Quote Originally Posted by Nephturi View Post
    Since necro gear actually gives crit rating and crit damage, it's a good thing the class doesn't work as an ice/unholy demo copy. And I'm sure a NF necro deals as much damage as a demo if both are not spellweaving.

As for the whole magic damage calculation thing, I'll have to look into the patch notes. The only real nerf I can remember on basic NF dps output is the loss of 200 magic damage with a 8-stack of DtS. It was the 1.05 update or not long after that, and it was needed since NF necros were doing way too much damage before, especially in pvp.
    It is still a shame, imo. The damage types are definitely not balanced now, neither in design nor in feat options. And trust me, the normal necro damage at 80 got a huge nerf by scaling. I play both necro and demo at 80 with different builds, both pve and pvp, but you can also ask pro necros that posted in special necro threads. Of course they did not include change of combat code in patch notes, it is funcom! Nightfall necros did never outdamage a demo even in pvp and during their high time and best level for that, again...been there tried it when duels where still common and with friends for testing as well as in the field. It was close, but i never saw it as a problem. There is no other class with ice damage depending on magic damage around. So a counter copy build for necro is not a negative thing to me, since it would have always been a different way of playing and having different options. And you do not see all melees as copies of each other as well and give every melee class a different combo mechanic.

The problem with necros was never properly adressed nor was the standard damage the reason they sometimes did op damage. Everything with necro feats comes with a downside, that went for NF necros and pet necro feats as well as AA. Just look at them compared to other classes. It is still fun to play, so i am not complaining about not being on top of the food chain, i just want my feat and gamestyle options back

But let's not derail the thread, bottom line: In the past a lot of different gear combinations made sense and i think there should be more gear options valid if you specialize your char that way. Not just one build for pve and one build for pvp. The "weird" things encountered on crom can (as already said) very well be artifacts of the past.

This reminds me of that Russian lvl80 Barbarian I once met in Kheshatta who was beaten up multiple times by groups of 2 mobs. After I watched him die for a while I checked his gear and he was wearing a full set of crafted Wisdom Culture armor (because light armor, ya know ...). Should have made screenies back then.
    Any attempt to explain him to use Strength gear (Google translater ftw ^^) ended up in him insulting me. I then pulled the whole camp together and wiped them in front of him with my Barb. When I started to dance on the corpses he didn't seem very amused.

Or that lvl 80 Conqueror with full T1 gear who was trying to kill the female mini boss at the market place in Noble District and never got her down because of her lousy self healing. I watched him for 20 min beating her with white hits, not using a single combo. When I tried to explain him what those funny pictures in the UI are he harshly answered there was no need to explain his class to him as I was playing a Necro who does not know **** about melee. After another 10 minutes of him struggeling with that lvl 50ish mob (and having a good laugh with some members of my guild whom I called to watch it) I killed the boss with 1 or 2 casts and logged off laughing my ass off.

Some people are just too good to be true.
    GROGOR!!! *grunz*

It did make sense for necros to use combat rating gear, for about one month. I don't need to ask anyone about it, really. The main problem of the necro has always been that it's a fusion of two beta classes (Necromancer and Lich), resulting in messed up feat trees. As for the whole damage thing, I could never forget how much the old Grip of Death was overpowered.

Let's agree to disagree on that point, like I let Rea necros think they're uber when they're just lazy

Smacking the horse that's been dead so long even a necro couldn't raise it... I miss the days when gear made almost no difference. AoC was very different in that regard and after years of inflationary loot grind in other games it was a refreshing change. Apparently though most people need the loot carrot to get them to log in.

Back on Rage I was on my Tortage ranger and I kept torturing a poor level 15+ sword & board ranger in the underhalls for about a week. Poor player never once switched to range weapons.. Kept coming at me doing minimal damage with a level 5 weapon..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast